Thot

I Just Made a Wherigo Cartridge

I just used the WYSIWYG cartridge builder Larry linked to in one of his posts.  http://wherigo.rangerfox.com

I did a very a simple one and it was easy to do.  Now I have questions.

• Can a Wherigo start at the same location as an existing cache?
  • If a whereIgo doesn't have a cache associated with it can it be listed on the GC website?
  • If it must have an associated cache, does it have to be the final or can it be at an earlier stage than the final?
  • I can't figure out how to dry-run it.  When I try the rangerfox website emulator it goes to zone 1 but I can't figure out how to get the actions to appear.  Or how to move past zone 1.

Edited by Thot

12 hours ago, Thot said:

I just used the WYSIWYG cartridge builder Larry linked to in one of his posts.  http://wherigo.rangerfox.com

I did a very a simple one and it was easy to do.  Now I have questions.

• Can a Wherigo start at the same location as an existing cache?
  • If a whereIgo doesn't have a cache associated with it can it be listed on the GC website?
  • If it must have an associated cache, does it have to be the final or can it be at an earlier stage than the final?
  • I can't figure out how to dry-run it.  When I try the rangerfox website emulator it goes to zone 1 but I can't figure out how to get the actions to appear.  Or how to move past zone 1.

If the Wherigo starting point is virtual, and it's hard to imagine it being anything else, it can be at the same location. 

Here is the relevant portion of the Groundspeak guidelines in answer to the second question:

Wherigo® Caches

A Wherigo cache requires a Wherigo cartridge to find a cache container with a logbook. The cartridge must be hosted on Wherigo.com and the cache description must include a link to the cartridge. Wherigo posted coordinates must be the same as the “Start at” coordinates on Wherigo.com, or within 2 miles (3.2 km) of the final for Play anywhere and Reverse cartridges.

I suppose the cache could be at an earlier stage, but I'm not sure why it would be done that way. Finding the physical container indicates completion of the Wherigo on every one that I've ever seen, so why would the player wish continue beyond that point?

I would suggest having a friend dry-run the Wherigo with you observing and watching for any problems that you need to correct. I would be even better if you could test it with multiple platforms, but that may not be practical.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply. 

Okay, so if they stop in the middle they still get credit for the Wherigo cache even though they didn't finish?  Isn't part of the idea the player must complete the cartridge to earn a completed Wherigo?   If and when I get it working I'll explain why I want to go on after doing the cache. 

13 minutes ago, Thot said:

Thanks for your reply. 

Okay, so if they stop in the middle they still get credit for the Wherigo cache even though they didn't finish?  Isn't part of the idea the player must complete the cartridge to earn a completed Wherigo?   If and when I get it working I'll explain why I want to go on after doing the cache. 

In order to complete the Wherigo on wherigo.com, a code which is generated at the end of the Wherigo must be entered. The problem is, that there's a disconnect between logging the Wherigo on geocaching.com and logging it on wherigo.com. Logging it or failing to log it on wherigo.com has no bearing on the ability to log it as "Found" on geocaching.com, and when it comes down to earning that golden smiley, its the log on geocaching that counts, not the one on wherigo. I've never seen that logging a Wherigo on the Wherigo site affects anything. The only requirement in the guidelines to log a cache find is to sign the log and there is no distinction made for a Wherigo cache, possibly because the physical cache typically is found as the final step in completing the Wherigo.

• Like 1

I keep running into issues.  Is the designated Start point the same as the first Zone?

9 hours ago, Thot said:

I keep running into issues.  Is the designated Start point the same as the first Zone?

Never having created one, I'm on shaky ground, but based on how they operate (other than the reverse type, of course) I suspect it is.

In messing with it in Ranger Fox's creator I was able to separate the first zone from the start point but I'm not sure if you are supposed to do that. 

Edited by Thot

Thanks.  I was aware of eariwigo, but I began trying to create one because of Ranger Fox's WYSIWYG get creator.  I've run into issues and no one has gotten me past them so far.  This has become so frustrating, if  I cannot complete this simple cartridge using such an apparently easy tool I don't intend to try further.  I have not given up on the one I've made but I can't proceed without help and so far it hasn't been forthcoming. 

Edited by Thot

If there's a Wherigo that you particularly enjoyed, you might ask the creator of that one for some tips. I understand the frustration - I've thought a few times about trying to create one, but I see all the difficulty and then weigh that against the number of cachers who bother hunting them, and so far have not had the motivation to put any serious effort into it.

I have to make a retraction.  Ranger Fox replied to my post requesting help.  There was a bug in his emulator.  Now that it's fixed my cartridge is working.  I will soon place the cache and post the Wherigo. 

For making a simple Wherigo this WYSIWYG maker called the Kit makes it very simple and he gets on the Groundspeak forum with some regularity and answers questions for Help.  http://wherigo.rangerfox.com

Edited by Thot

Sorry I was MIA for most of this thread.  The posted coordinates for most of my Wherigo caches are near the first zone or the starting point for the cartridge -- close enough that if you start playing the cartridge at the posted coordinates, the first zone appears on the player.  Since the posted coordinates are almost always "bogus" (I placed nothing there) they can be within 528 feet of another cache or waypoint of a multi.  I'd avoid putting it at the exact coordinates of another cache because then the icons overlap on the map and one of the caches won't be visible.

• Like 1

Ok Like HC said on the stages,  As long as you dont place anything physical the 528 ft rule matters not.   On the emulator that is easy.  Just zoom out till you see the icon that kinda looks like munzee thing. < I hate Munzee by the way.>   It is green with a person inside it.  Move it to the 1st zone and then the action's will take place.  I have played with that a little here and there.  I am not a professional Wherigo'er like HC I only have created 2 wherigo's.  As far as having them get the cache before completing the cartridge I will say you will be disappointed.  Alot of them never give codes even after you have completed them.  Then when people gwet the code they very rarely imput the code on Wherigo.com's site.  They are more for the smilely than the completion code,   And the way groundspeak is you can not have alternate logging requirements,  Hope this helps.

Edited by Cache Control
trying to figure out why I could not post

Okay, I  have to backtrack some on my recommendation of Ranger Fox's Kit Cartridge builder.   It seems kind of buggy.  I wrote my previous post before field testing the Cartridge.  Sometimes it hangs just after startup.  It's intermittent so I doubt it will ever be chased down.  Also, sometimes you can't replace pictures for a Zone.

But, for me a much worse problem is, I cannot move the Start Point.  The start point is frozen where you put Zone 1 initially.  After that, you can move Zone 1 at will but the Start Point is unchangeable - it's permanently assigned to where you first located Zone 1.  During field testing I saw I needed to change the Start Point.  I moved Zone 1 and assumed that moved the start point. Created the new Cartridge and made another trip to the new location of Zone 1 just to discover the Start Point hadn't moved making a bad situation even worse. 

After I made the first simple draft I couldn't move the start point and wasn't getting help, so I assumed I was doing something wrong and I did it all over just to move the Start Point.  This wasn't much trouble since I hadn't done much by then.  On version 2 I didn't imagine I would have to change it again.  Now I've invested a lot of time and travel in it and find I must figure out how to move it of do it the whole thing over.  I'm not inclined to invest that much more time in what began a simple learning experience.  So, if I can't get help explaining how to move the Start Point I may just throw it all away.

Edited by Thot

And now Johnny TheBicycler has done it as what I think is his first Wherigo.

My anxiety has been releaved.

Edited by Thot