Thot

Does GC no longer provide for Needs Maintenance logs?

If you're logging from the new form, you either need to click on "Report a Problem" (which will add a Needs Maintenance log along with your regular log), or choose "Opt Out" to go to the old form.  The NM choice is still there in the drop down box on the old form.

NewForm.JPGNM.JPG.b8564516efa162b458fc676ea2eface0.JPG

Edited by HoustonControl

Thanks.  The old way was so straightforward and easy.  I've never been sure why GC thinks making things more obscure is better.  Perhaps newbies were posting Needs Maintenance when they just couldn't find it.   A better solution would be to not present the option until a member had found say 200 caches and not at all to regular members.  This would limit it to more serious players.

While some newbies post Needs Maintenance logs when a DNF or note would do (and that is true for regular members as well), I think it is short-sighted to suggest that they (newbies and regular members) have nothing to offer with regard to recognizing that a problem exists with a cache.  After all, for older caches, the "more serious players" have all found it and aren't likely to check on it two years later (unless they are the CO) to make sure that everything is ok.

I don't disagree about newbies, but I've gotten a few from them myself and I sometimes see them post Maintenance Needed logs just before I find the cache.  After Harvey, some caches in my area have floated away. 

I have disabled most of my caches because Sam Houston National Forest is officially still closed for business, and I cannot legally check on them to make sure that they are still there.

A while ago I was trying to create a needs maintenance log. The cache log had obviously been very wet and the inks had spread/blurred a lot. The log was signable and this side of mush.

I was not able to report it. When I clicked "Report a Problem" I got the first prompt below. None of these were the problem.  When I chose other I got the second screen and when I posted it was just an ordinary note. If you clicked "Report a Problem" on this second screen it just ran you through the same routine.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Edited by Thot

I know that if you select one of the options like "Cache might be missing" the log that it generates is a needs maintenance log.  I didn't realize that "other" disabled that feature.