Thot

The Texas State Parks Challenge is being retired.

I've not has a lot of interest in Challenge caches 'cause they are kinda out of my league and probably everyone knows this but I saw this on Facebook.

Thank you for participating in the State Parks Geocache Challenge! Going back to the start in 2012 we’ve had our caches found thousands of time and more than 340 cachers have submitted complete passports. These folks have earned themselves a promotional item from Texas State Parks and hopefully a few good memories along the way. The age of the challenge and the recent decreased rate of participation has led the Outdoor Education Team to make the hard decision to call an end to the challenge on December 31st of 2017. This still gives you 3 months to find the remaining caches you need to fill up a final passport for submitting and reaching that next level to earn that next path tag. We’re asking that passports be postmarked by January 15th, 2018.

So, was everyone aware of a general decline is geocaching?  Or is it that geocaching has become focused on parking lot micros so there's been a decline in the activity of real caches.  I've certainly seen a decline in the activity of my caches. 

Or is it that the State Parks haven't put out new geocaches for several years, and we found the old ones?  I think the "newest" ones were placed in 2013.  We are one of the teams that submitted completed passports.  It helped as we were gathering counties for the Texas county challenge.

So I don't know if there is a general decline in caching, but there is certainly a general decline in traffic on this site.  I see lots of posts on FB about geocaching.  Locally our caches haven't seen much traffic in a while--I'm contemplating archiving them--but I think that is a local issue.  The geocachers here have already looked for them.  To our north, someone has recently put out around 50 new caches close to Madisonville, so I think it depends.

Oh--I should add that if they put out new caches in the parks, we would probably go find 'em.

I found quite a few of the 2013 TX Parks caches, but never did really worry about driving all over the state filling in a passport to collect a pathtag.  I'm pretty sure a lot of the interest in the series dropped because most of the hardcore geocachers had already found them.

17 hours ago, TheNorman said:

there is certainly a general decline in traffic on this site. 

I'm typically a low traffic poster on here and that hasn't changed, but now I seem to be creating most of the new Topics.

It has always been rare for me to start topics on this site.  I think at the time that I joined, I probably lived the furthest from "GZ" for this group.  Of course, since then some have moved away, so I'm not the farthest any more.