Thot

Google Earth Pro?

Thot    57

A new icon appeared on my desktop this morning -- Google Earth Pro.  So what does it do plain Jane Google Earth doesn't?

cachestacker    736

In the Old days, you  needed Pro (when you had to have paid or subscribed) to solve East Texas' Hardest Mystery Cache.  O0   I think it has those features, but I'm not in front of a computer right now that has it and have never had another puzzle that used that to have to try it.  Not that I'm encouraging that kind of thing.  :knuppel2:

Thot    57

Thanks.   So, it doesn't have much advantage over ordinary GE?

Edited by Thot

I don't think the plain vanilla version allows you to draw circles and such, but it's so long since I used the regular version that I'm no longer sure.

Thot    57

Drawing circles would be useful. If you can do that in the plain version I don't know how.

Great Birds    33

Pro allows users to following tracks over terrain to preview a path from a fixed height.  It is somewhat useful and I make movies to preview hikes sometimes.  Since it is free, all it takes is a short download and install it to get the extra features.  

There is the web version too.  It is does not have as full of a feature set, but will do some usefull things.  It is expected to improve before the app's service is terminated one day.  

https://earth.google.com/web/

Edited by Great Birds

HoustonControl    1,044

Google Earth Pro used to be a paid app, but they made it free a couple of years ago.  Under Tools/Ruler, there are more options for measuring, such as drawing circles and polygons.  Enclose an area in a polygon and it will show you how much area (acreage) is inside of it.  I used that to verify the acreage on our place outside of Fredericksburg.  I believe the ruler function on regular GE just had line and path measure.

59a1c8db6772c_GEProTools.JPG.c8e11cd3452d5494ae90fa2fa4c77547.JPG

Edited by HoustonControl

Thot    57
On 8/26/2017 at 2:15 PM, HoustonControl said:

I believe the ruler function on regular GE just had line and path measure.

That's right.  I just used the circle drawer to determine the zone where a puzzle could be located.

HoustonControl    1,044
On 8/27/2017 at 5:40 PM, Thot said:

That's right.  I just used the circle drawer to determine the zone where a puzzle could be located.

There is a cool macro in GSAK called GoogleEarthCircles that will draw 528' circles around all the cache locations in a database or filtered database.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=216660

Thot    57

Yes, thanks.  I learned about it when you mentioned it some time ago.  I've used it several times.  But, if you want to understand the two mile radius a given puzzle must be within then you need to draw a circle on GE.