Thot

fainter & fainter

Thot    57

Then there's a thing called a Houston Geocachers Group, but I saw few people I knew.  I saw Kenny (KeyResults), Joni (no muggle), Jenifer (Green Eyes).  Maybe I missed them but I didn't see Cachestacker, Kirbydox, Houston Control or Baytown Bert etc., etc.

Edited by Thot

Team Four Paw    358

There is https://www.facebook.com/groups/608446622603627/ Houston Area Geocachers which seems to be the most popular.There are others though for respective areas.

Maybe a I should pull the plug on HGCS. I don't visit much myself either nor do I geocache as much. Maybe its time. 12yrs is a good run.

TheNorman    132

I think there are still some useful things that can happen here, but I agree that the day to day communication has dropped way off.  In the past I found that this was the best forum for our Texas Challenge team in the years that I could participate.

For day to day stuff, what I see on FB is https://www.facebook.com/groups/183002578433642/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/geocachingpuzzlehelp/.  The local groups don't seem to be too active.  I used to be a member of the Geocaching Southeast Texas group, but I guess I got kicked out.  (I suspect that there was some FB glitch, and the group got killed, and then re-started, but there are only 4 members currently and no posts since May.)

KeyResults    604

It's not just here Jim. Log counts / cache activity is generally lower to me and event attendance seems much lower right now too, at least on the nw houston area. 

The hgcs forum format is so useful for real content and archival purposes. I agree with TheNorman about hgcs being a great rally point for significant events too. 

FB is convenient, but definitely not a terrific replacement imo. 

HoustonControl    1,044
On 7/28/2017 at 5:25 PM, Thot said:

Then there's a thing called a Houston Geocachers Group, but I saw few people I knew.  I saw Kenny (KeyResults), Joni (no muggle), Jenifer (Green Eyes).  Maybe I missed them but I didn't see Cachestacker, Kirbydox, Houston Control or Baytown Bert etc., etc.

I think I mentioned in another thread that I USED to be on the Houston Geocachers Facebook group,  but suddenly got kicked off for (I guess) possibly being friends with someone who may or may not have ratted out the admin of that group to Groundspeak for being a terrible reviewer... or something to that effect.  Kirbydox and BB got banned too for similar fuzzy reasons.  cachestacker isn't on facebook at all (look him up on Instagram!) ;-)

I post occasionally on the SETX Gang and the Centex Geocachers groups on Facebook.  I still check in here frequently and will be disappointed if this forum ever goes away.

Thot    57

I agree completely with everybody about this being the best place.  I signed up for Houston Geocaching Society and couldn't see how it could be useful to me. I've not been on Facebook and don't understand how it works but that group seems like just a social group.  I come here largely to get help.  By the way, Kenny, your post from here on the compass has third place billing when I google 64s 3-axis compass

8 hours ago, HoustonControl said:

I think I mentioned in another thread that I USED to be on the Houston Geocachers Facebook group,  but suddenly got kicked off for (I guess) possibly being friends with someone who may or may not have ratted out the admin of that group to Groundspeak for being a terrible reviewer... or something to that effect.  Kirbydox and BB got banned too for similar fuzzy reasons.  cachestacker isn't on facebook at all (look him up on Instagram!) ;-)

I post occasionally on the SETX Gang and the Centex Geocachers groups on Facebook.  I still check in here frequently and will be disappointed if this forum ever goes away.

Well, if the good guys aren't there (present company excepted) I think I'll resign from the group if I can ever figure out how.

I too will be terribly disappointed if this forum group goes away.

On 7/28/2017 at 9:54 PM, TheNorman said:

I may join https://www.facebook.com/groups/183002578433642/ and see if there's anything of interest to me there but I don't ask for help with puzzles or finding caches so the "puzzlehelp" group is of no interest at all to me.

TheNorman    132

On the puzzlehelp site, people ask for help as well, so it can lead you to interesting puzzles.  If I'm working on a puzzle, and have hit a wall, sometimes just a nudge in the right direction is incredibly helpful.  It seems like half the geocaches in my wife's home town are puzzles, and this has helped a lot.

Great Birds    33

It's been a long time since I've been here or since I've found a geocache.  After the group cache hunting get togethers became so infrequent, I just kind of stopped.  And anyway I run a weekly hiking group now and we don't stop for caches.  The only reason my GSAK data is up to date is because the scripts I wrote to download data have held up over time.  I've even thought about dropping my groundspeak membership.  

It was a fun time but I just don't go hunting any more.  

I am happy that Jason has kept the forum up for the occasional times I drop by.