Thot

Is There A Way?

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is getting spooky.  I'm beginning to hear an echo when I come here.  When I go to Geocaching, Travelers, Puzzles and maybe others I haven't checked I have the latest topic, maybe going back months.  Is this site gradually (or not so gradually) going dark?  Where'd everybody go?

So anyway, I would like to figure out which Travelers have actually been in one of my caches.  It has a lot listed in the history but many/most/almost all have been people dipping bugs, not putting them in the cache.  I haven't been able to sort the wheat from the chaff. 

Anybody know an easy way to tell which travelers were ever actually in a cache?

Edited by Thot

It does seem to be getting rather echoey in here.  I think some people have moved…some have retired…I'm not sure what has happened to everyone.  Perhaps some have gotten burnt out.

In regard to your question, I don't know the answer.  I suppose if you had a history of the bugs (and I don't know how one gets that), you could look at the history of the individual TB to see if they ever were dropped off.

Posted (edited)

You can do that.  The history of each bug is on the bugs page.  But when you have a hundred bugs and each bug has many actions you have to tediously go to each bug and then hunt through page after page of logs to find the real drops it's more than I'm willing to do.  In the old days I wrote programs that would do this automatically but GC changed their website to prevent that. 

As an example, one of my little found caches has 31 bugs recorded.  I took the first one on the list as a random sample.  That bug has 165 total actions in its history.  If this is typical I would have to go through up to 5000 logs, keeping records along the way, to determine if which bugs were actually placed in the cache. 

Edited by Thot

I'm certainly not one who would have an idea of how to do this in an elegant way.  Key Results and Team Four Paw occasionally check in--perhaps they will have an idea.

My only other ideas would require accessing old logs.

This site has been getting less and less visits lately.  I think more people are on Facebook, visiting various geocacher groups on there.

To answer your other question -- I don't think there is a simple way to do that.

So, is there a local geocaching page I should know about?

I'm really sorry to see this website go.  It was a place I could get answers to my many questions.

33 minutes ago, Thot said:

I'm really sorry to see this website go.  It was a place I could get answers to my many questions.

i'm on FB, but i prefer the forum format that is here still.  i'm just less chatty than i used to be.

but i'd like to know about the way to sort TBs too, so i'm watching this one.

7 hours ago, Thot said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/setxgang/  is a good one.

There is a Houston Area geocachers group as well, but I got kicked off of there because, apparently, I'm such a disagreeable human being,

3 people like this

On 3/27/2017 at 5:49 PM, HoustonControl said:

There is a Houston Area geocachers group as well, but I got kicked off of there because, apparently, I'm such a disagreeable human being,

Really? I didn't know that Larry. I always assume that folks not on FB just don't do FB. I am deeply concerned about our society's collective "thin skin". Very disheartening.

YouTube is on verge of shuting down some of my favorite subscribed pages because of complaints from others who think differently from them. It's disappointing that Google is yielding so quickly to some of this craziness. We seem to be offended WAY too easily these days. I hope this trend reverses soon.

I wonder who else is in the penalty box? Is it a lifetime penalty? Can you do community service, or shine the right boots to gain reentry? (shaking head)

Consider starting your own group Larry, call it " Hill Country GeoCachers", "Caching Curmudgeons"  or something... I suspect it would be a fun group. :D 

Didn't mean to slide so far off-topic. Got carried away there...

Apparently the admin of that group figured I must be friends with someone who may or may not have complained about his behavior on this site while he was a Groundspeak reviewer.  That's my best guess anyway. I was never told, but just noticed one day I was no longer a group member.  I got over it in about, oh, 5 seconds.

Kirbydox got booted too.  You know what a troublemaker she is!

I generally refer to "it" as "asocial media".

1 person likes this