Thot

Size Changes Over the Years

Thot    57

To me the first chart is the most meaningful.  It shows the change clearly.  The chart distinguishing between caches labeled small vs micro has more issues.

1. The small cache designation wasn't adopted until somewhere in 2005 or later.  Before that most people called them micros.  My earlier data with smalls must have been people who relabeled older caches small once that designation became available.  For example, people relabeled caches placed and labeled small in 2003 may have later changed them to small.  My data uses when the cache was placed and I can't know if the size was changed later.
  2. My observation is there's been size creep over time.  Some new cachers are labeling caches small that in prior years would have been labeled micros.  I've imagined this may partly be because newer cachers have seen so many of the tiny containers (nanos, Bison tubes, etc.), which didn't use to exist, a large pill bottle seems like it must be a small. 
  3. My intent was to show the decline of regular (they were called regular for a reason) caches and the second chart muddies that. 

I omitted 2001 & 2002 because my data's bad back then and geocaching had growing pains with some odd things going on.  For what it's worth in 2001 (the first year of caching) 96% were regular caches and 4% micros in my iffy data.

Percent of Caches

Cache-Size-Change1.jpg

Cache-Size-Change2.jpg

Edited by Thot

HoustonControl    1,044

Interesting.  On the Remember the Alamo series of puzzles SW of San Antonio, the cache owner has pill bottles and 35mm film canisters listed as "Small".  Geocaching.com used to use a film canister as the example for a micro cache.  To me, if you can't put an normal-sized geocoin in the cache, it shouldn't be labeled as small.

• Like 2

Thot    57

My test for a micro is the volume (not shape) of a tennis ball or less.  If it's greater than a tennis ball and less than a quart container it's a small.  I used to say a two quart container but with size creep and all . . .

A large should be a gallon or more.

Incidentally, there are so few large containers they were not considered in my study.

Edited by Thot
  • Like 1

HoustonControl    1,044

We found this cache a couple of weeks ago and it is listed as a "regular".  It might be tough to tell, but it's one of those honkin' huge ammo cans that once held mortars or RPG's.  The cache was placed in 2003, so maybe they didn't have the "Large" size option then.  https://coord.info/GCH70G

IMG_1223.JPG

green-eyed    175

unfortunately, in our area "progress" keep taking all our trees and wooded areas, leaving us with bushes, fences and lightpoles.  i would love more of the bigger sized caches to be placed.

HoustonControl    1,044

If someone has a mind to hide a bunch of regular-sized caches, I know a guy selling .30 cal ammo cans for a good price!

KeyResults    604

Cool thread. I do agree that there has been some slippage on what constitutes small and micro over time.

I'm bummed about the trend to smaller and smaller containers, but as Green-Eyed said increased development and less and less suitable places for ammo cans and big containers leaves us with little choice.

Nice thread Thot!