Sign in to follow this  
HoustonTxDave

2017 Texas Geocaching Challenge - Tyler, Texas

Here is a photo i took of the Southeast Team just before the challenge started. I teamed up with no_muggle and bittybit and found 21 caches and did 3 activity challenges. Had a lot of fun and enjoyed 4 days up in Tyler, Texas.

1a823cd5-7d65-4d6e-9e3a-29bfec67dd6c_l.j

Thursday night we went to the drive in movie theater and saw the GIFF short films. Then watched the "Treasure" movie. Did some late night ninja caching after the movie. Friday did the Tyler Texas lab caches. Saturday was the challenge with over 300 people visiting and many teams from all over.

North Texas got first place, Out of State was second. But i think everyone enjoyed the events, the competition, and the city of tyler (rose garden, alzalea trail, downtown and the many parks to geocache in.

Edited by HoustonTxDave
  • Like 1

I sat in on the scoring for a bit and it seemed to be going very well.  We hand-checked and re-checked the scorecards so no mistakes were made.  They also went out and picked up ALL the challenge caches that evening before they finished totaling the scorecards... and eliminated one of the hides from the tally because it had gone missing sometime during the competition.  That said, participation was down and it appeared they had about half as many scorecards to deal with that we had last year, AND they decided ahead of time to not announce the winners until Sunday morning.  That certainly took he pressure off and made things go smoother!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Dave. I was bummed to miss it this year. By most reports all who went up to the event found the enjoyment they were looking for. Kudos to the out of staters...wow. I heard they threw down  (playfully) and said they're gunning for the win next year.

Has next year's event GZ been named?

RoundUp is "supposed" to be in Abilene. Challenge is supposed to be in Denton. Both north Texas. I'm only going on hearsay and what I've read on the net since TXGA website won't let me log in to forums there for questions and clarity. 

Roundup 2017 is in Abilene and hosted by West Texas....I call that central or north but hey whatever lol. 2018 Challenge is Denton hosted by North Texas.

• Like 1

You are correct -- I got my locations confused.  North Texas hosts the Challenge next year and it will be in Denton.  That won't stop them from trying to win, though...