Thot

Two Copies of a Travel Bug in Circulation?

Thot    57

Almost four years ago this bug disappeared from a cache that is still active.  It's had a couple of lives.  Late last year I decided to resurrect it.  When I do that I like to put the replacement in the cache where was last if the cache is still active.  In this case it was, so I made a new copy.  The owner of the cache agreed to drop it in, so I packed it up and mailed it to him. The day he said he dropped it in I plucked the old one out of the either and put it in the cache.  The very next day a guy took it and stopped caching that very day.  I emailed him about a month ago requesting he put it in a cache near him so it could continue.  He didn't reply. 

I'm considering making yet another copy and trying again.  If someday this guy puts the one he has in a cache there will be two copies floating around. 

Anybody know what happens then?

I have released the same trackable of my Columbian mammoth which I have several mammoths I bought clearanced out.  They keep going missing.  Right now I have not released it again.

cachestacker    736

I had a frog one once.  They put out 5 of them.  Not knowing, when I read the description it said to see if you could place it in a new cache before it hopped away.  Sure enough, someone 'grabbed' it from me and put it in a cache overseas.  So you just drop it and someone retrieves it and thinks someone else hasn't dropped it and ....  you get the idea.  Times five.

If your 2nd copy comes back into circulation it would be like that.  But less.

HoustonControl    1,046

I have a few coins that I keep in my collection to be discovered by others, but with a proxy that travels the world.  Sometimes the number gets out there due to me sharing at events, so when I get random discoveries on the coin, I'm not sure if it's the original people saw, or a the proxy. 

There is a local cacher (who's name rhymes with PaytownPert) that had a pathtag-like coin minted but with a TB tracking number on the back (100+ tags with the same trackable number).  He hands them out with instructions to just discover the trackable number, buy you can see where confusion could arise if people started trying to "retrieve" them or started placing them in caches.