Thot

Nuvi for Geocaching

I have to buy a new Nuvi (pun not intended).  I've never been satisfied with the one I have for geocaching.  Are there any recent models that are geocaching friendly?

By geocaching friendly I mean:

• .gpx exports from GSAK can be added to it much like to the 62
  • The unit then shows the descriptions, logs and hints in addition to guiding you to the cache location.

my nuvi used to be easy to load the PQs into a "favorites" folder.  now GSAK has lumped all nuvi units into one generic category and it seems nearly impossible to delete your old PQs and load a new one into that folder.  i have to load it by a POIloader program on my desktop and then find it each time.  if someone knows of a simpler way, i would love to know what the trick is.

and if there's a nuvi that loads more than the location (especially a cache name!), i'd like to know too.  good question thot!

If you use GSAK there is a NUVI macro that will build a gpx file with the different parts you need (desc, logs, etc). It has been my experience with my Nuvi 2797 that converting it to a POI file with Garmins POILoader (.gpi) it is more user friendly.

I have 20K caches loaded in the POI and they all show up on the map and when I tap one and get the description I see the logs, etc. The macro will also use the different icons for the cache types as well.

• Like 1

Wow, $450.  Does that thing prepare, bake and slice bread then wash dishes?  The last Nuvi I bought cost $80.

I use Red Roo's POI loader macro for my Nuvi 2495, but I find it's flaky.  It always works for coordinates, but sometimes you get descriptions, usually not.  Rarely do I get logs and never more than a couple.  That's why I'd like to find a Nuvi that accepts .gpx files directly and shows all the data in them, like the GPSmap 62 does.  The connector in my current Nuvi model has become intermittent, so sometimes it turns on and charges when I start the car and sometimes not.  Sometimes it connects to my  desktop computer, sometimes not.  So, I'll need to buy a new one soon. 

In case you're wondering if there's a connection between the Nuvi's behavior and Red Roo's macro.  The macro has behaved that way since I bought the Nuvi 4-5 years ago and the intermittent connector just began about 5 months ago.

$450 for what? My 2797LMT? Paid just over $250 2-3 years ago when they first came out

Probably not the answer you're looking for but if you have a Smartphone (Android device in particular) you can use Locus Pro. It pretty much does everything.

Supports Geocaching Live, Static Vector based maps, GPX, Track recording, etc. I believe there is even a GSAK Plug-in for it.

• Like 1

My Nuvi 550 does all that, but it's an older unit and has begun exhibiting the same symptoms you mention with the intermittent connector.  I don't think Garmin makes a Nuvi anymore that is considered "geocaching friendly", but you can do a lot with GSAK and the POI loader macros.  

The Garmin Montana will do what you want, and holds up to 15,000 caches.  You can even set it to be in Nuvi navigation mode when in the car mount and then switch to hiking/geocaching mode when out of the car mount.  Unfortunately, they're even pricier than $450...