KeyResults

RIP HGCS (POLL)

KeyResults    604

Picture this:

You've fired up your gadget and found that HGCS.org is suddenly gone.

It died.

You are compelled to write a eulogy and say a few words in response to this news. What say you?

• Like 1

It is one Place I never wanted to see go.   I do not like change.  So sad that the rest of the Caching community does not feel the same way,   So much easier to find the things you are looking for.  If so, it will truly be missed.

Mr. ZHR    56

First, it isn't on my gadget.  I don't really use it much any more.  I am still caching, but the community is so much larger and spread out that it doesn't fill in 'the gap' that it once did for me.  

I would say that it did a great job for the community for a long time.  If it is time to say good-bye, I will have fond memories.

• Like 1

TheNorman    132

While it might be interesting to actually write an obituary, I don't really have the time to do so right now.

Much of the activity on this site has dropped off for whatever reason.  However, I think the activity will pick up, especially in the private area, once the planning begins for the Texas Challenge.  I think that communication is REALLY important and it would be a shame if this went away.

I don't post much anymore on this site mainly because I never did initiate many topics, but I have been known to comment on the posts of others.  So, if others are posting less, I end up posting less.

Since I live on the extreme edge of the Houston area, I have always felt somewhat on the fringe of the group.  I'm not yet at retirement age, but will be within a decade, and when I retire I know that we will move elsewhere.  For those two reasons, (and my general level of being over-worked at work), I will not step up and volunteer to take over administration of this site.

I think it would be a huge shame if it dies.

• Like 2

Im fairly new to the geocaching community. I do find this website useful in the sense it has good information on a lot of topics. I hope it continues. Just like old friends...sometimes its good to catch up and ask questions. 

Edited by HoustonTxDave
  • Like 1

cachestacker    736

This is the one site I never want to see go.  But too many people are on too many other apps, etc. so the traffic is just not the same.  I don't Facebook so it's kinda this or nothing for me.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2016 at 11:51 PM, HoustonControl said:

At least I'd have a good excuse to stop updating that Longest Since Last Find list every month! :buck2:

We will water board ya if you stop.

• Like 3

Mudfrog    98
On 10/29/2016 at 6:24 PM, cachestacker said:

This is the one site I never want to see go.  But too many people are on too many other apps, etc. so the traffic is just not the same.  I don't Facebook so it's kinda this or nothing for me.

This goes for me as well. HGCS and the GC.com forums are what i like to read and post to. I very rarely, probably average once every couple of months, look at the local facebook geocaching page. And like The Norman, i don't start too many threads. And since there are not as many new threads started by others, i end up not replying as much either.