KeyResults

Pokemon GO

FYI~

In case you haven't seen em yet, be prepared to find families and young people running around town following their smartphone just like geocachers do, only they're not looking for geocaches...they're looking to "catch Pokemon".

It's caught on like wildfire, at least for now. The apps have been introduced on smartphones and I for one think it's pretty cool. Perhaps we might want to sweeten the deal on our hides and ensure that our coordinates have a Pokemon awaiting too. ;)

You wouldn't happen to know who to contact to make that happen would you?  :angel:  The Normettes are all over Pokemon Go.

Edited by TheNorman
Forgot emoji

I was in a park Saturday looking for a cache. Pretty sure the young guys I saw w/their noses in phones were playing Pokemon Go since there was no cache there- atleast not one w/ a GC code. Then today I read a lot about it (the card game was a big thing for my oldest son when young) and realized it's Ingress w/Pokemon characters. My youngest son and I played it on the way home from an appointment this afternoon. 

My husband and I were in Allenbrook park the other day from 10:00pm-11:45pm with about 30 other people catching pokemon. Yesterday we drove thru Jenkins park and we saw about 20 people walking around probably doing the same thing. Tonight on my way home from work i drove thru town and saw several cars driving very slowly thru parking lots of closed business. This game is getting crazy

I believe many of the locations were seeded from Ingress, another of the developers games previously mentioned. 

That's what my son suggested. Every church in my small town (and every other town) was a territory for Ingress. The Pokemon Go game is made by the same company-- they took all that data and used it to make every church a "gym" or "Pokestop".

Side note -When he and I started talking about it, he said it"s like Geocaching. I had to explain the difference. Oh, I hope this new game doesn't affect Geocaching negatively.

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 11:28 PM, tuba_dude said:

My husband and I were in Allenbrook park the other day from 10:00pm-11:45pm with about 30 other people catching pokemon. Yesterday we drove thru Jenkins park and we saw about 20 people walking around probably doing the same thing. Tonight on my way home from work i drove thru town and saw several cars driving very slowly thru parking lots of closed business. This game is getting crazy

The developers didn't think much about long term; that's obvious. Everytime I think and then read about it, the final thought is always bad for this hobby/ game. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4rqn0s/pokemon_go_geocaching_the_slowest_method_of/

What I see here is small businesses, like ice cream parlors, placing a Pokemon inside their store to attract youngsters playing the game.  Other than that it is a fluff game.  YMMV

JuleeD and I are teaching LEO's on the 23rd and we will cover the differences between that game and the real game of geocaching.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Baytown Bert said:

What I see here is small businesses, like ice cream parlors, placing a Pokemon inside their store to attract youngsters playing the game.  Other than that it is a fluff game.  YMMV

JuleeD and I are teaching LEO's on the 23rd and we will cover the differences between that game and the real game of geocaching.

Thats not quite how it works Bert, you cant choose where pokemon go. You cant say I want this pokemon in the location. Pokemon randomly pop up in "like" terrains. Like poison type pokemon show up near gas stations or chemical plants; ghost type pokemon show up in cemeterys; water type pokemon show up near rivers, lakes, ponds, oceans; grass type show up in parks; psychic type show up near elecricitcal things.

• Like 1

And now, if you go to Google Maps - just normal everyday Google Maps, PokemonGo locations show up with blue tear drop shaped icons (like the red ones we use to drop a "pin" to pinpoint a location). Some are simply labeled "point #" and some are labeled by the business name. What the heck? 

And, from what I've read...yeah you can submit a request to add a Pokestop/Pokegym at your place of business/home/anywhere. Not a character floating around in your phone at ××× location, but same concept Bert suggested. 

Edited by jdpen74
tp
  • Like 2

Love it or hate it, this App is likely to have a billion dollar plus valuation worldwide by end of the month. Think about that. Geocaching is a microscopic blip comparatively speaking.

Big ad agencies, and corporate sponsors are all over it. 

• Like 1

Sad?  This is something that has gotten my teenagers to go out for walks while we are on vacation!  Let me repeat--they are voluntarily going out and walking around so they can build up mileage to hatch pokemon eggs!  This is wonderful!

• Like 4

In the last week I've noticed an increase in my cache finds in Hermann Park/Museum District and downtown. I was at Hermann park yesterday and saw about 20 or 30 kids all playing the pokemon go. A few were geocaching too. I think this new craze is helping the younger generation get outdoors. I think its a good thing and can help geocaching. My choo choo series has been very busy. Lets hope more pokekids find geocaching fun as well.

-HoustonTxDave

Edited by HoustonTxDave
spelling corrections
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tuba_dude said:

My muggle husband actually asked me if we could go caching so he could catch pokemon.

Sounds like me and my son.  Seems like a win-win.

• Like 1

My son and I have been playing it.  We go to parks, he finds the Pokemon, I find the caches, we both get some physical activity and the baby gets to see the sights or maybe run around as well.  I don't feel as conspicious geocaching because I figure everyone else thinks I am playing Pokemon. Heck, sometimes I am.  I really want some developers or gc.com to make a hybrid application that uses augmented reality for geocaching.  It would be awesome if the cache appeared before you on your screen like the pokemon, and then you had to do something to open it, and then when you did, the caches had some kind of cool digital swag that you could collect, pass along, or use for some exchange to become more powerful in the game, like what happens when you go to pokestops.

• Like 2

I saw two boys on bikes today at the event in Seabrook playing the game.  I was waiting to hear the crash.  LOL