Sign in to follow this  
jdpen74

Lost Maples State Park in summer

We're leaving tomorrow to spend a few days in the park. I've been to the hill country often but not this park- we always wanted to go in the fall and it never worked out. Does anyone have any extra info on bugs and critters?  I will be so happy to get away from the mosquitos for a while as I was when we went to Austin last month---instead, I came home with 50 chigger bites after sitting on an asphalt trail w/my dog for 5 minutes. It was extremely hot and he needed to rest.

Any advice for hiking around to find caches (particularly concerning insects) would be greatly appreciated!

You'll have no cell coverage so plan accordingly with however you cache "offline”. 

A mile up the road from lost maples is foxfire cabins. Highly recommend. We've stayed there several times.

Chiggers, yes. Prepare accordingly. 

Monkey Rock is cool. There is a cache there.

It's hot. Hydrate.

Garner and Texas Hill country SP are reasonably short drives from Lost Maples.

Garner if you've never been is very nice. 

• Like 2

I can't say for certain if this works 100%, but rubbing baby oil or Gojo into your legs, then spraying down with insect spray may just create an oil barrier and prevent chiggers from getting a bite.  It will also create an oil barrier for poison ivy. I know when I used Cedarcide, I did not get chiggers. The stuff is just expensive. Gojo is cheap.

You'll find fewer mosquitoes than in the Houston area, but then you'll find some critters you don't have there, such as scorpions. Be careful when turning over rocks and such. I've found chiggers to be the biggest nuisance since I've been living in the hill country. The Lost Maples SNA is one of my favorites in the park system. Also keep in mind that some of the trails are steep and rocky. A ten mile hike here is not the same as a ten mile hike in the flatlands. The oldest puzzle cache in Texas is in the park too, but it's the farthest one from the parking area. Cool SNA, have fun.

I hear there is a cool Earthcache there too!

The last several times I've been out, I've sprayed by feet and legs with Deep Woods OFF, then put on my socks, sprayed again, then put on my boots and sprayed my pants legs and boot tops.  Seems like overkill, but I got ZERO chigger bites -- and we were in some very chiggery places!

Edited by HoustonControl

Thanks much!!

We won't be able to take long hikes because our Brach dog will have to stay in the rv and I worry about electric getting cut and/or the a/c going out with him in it. I do have the puzzle, Earth, SP caches and Monkey Rock on my wishlist. We're just going to have to get to them on seperate hikes. Also, Garner- been there several times before we started Geocaching and would like to get a couple target caches there as well if my prayers are answered and a cool front unexpectedly blows through! 

4 hours ago, Team Troglodyte said:

You'll find fewer mosquitoes than in the Houston area, but then you'll find some critters you don't have there, such as scorpions. Be careful when turning over rocks and such. I've found chiggers to be the biggest nuisance since I've been living in the hill country. The Lost Maples SNA is one of my favorites in the park system. Also keep in mind that some of the trails are steep and rocky. A ten mile hike here is not the same as a ten mile hike in the flatlands. The oldest puzzle cache in Texas is in the park too, but it's the farthest one from the parking area. Cool SNA, have fun.

Do yall have an association/forums for that side of the hill country? I found only one geared more for the Austin area.

You could try this FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAGeo/  It's the San Antonio Geocachers.There is also a CENTEX cachers Yahoo group that I've followed long before moving to the Hill Country, but it doesn't have much activity these days.

The old puzzle cache is a pretty long hike. I did it last year with RRM10 and another Kerrville cacher. We ended up with about 8.5 miles according to my GPS log but you could do it with a little less distance depending on the route you pick. Larry's earthcache, and the nearby official park cache are just a short distance from parking and the monkey rock cache mentioned earlier by TFP is a relatively short hike. If you go to the park website there's a .kml file of the park trails that you can look at in Google Earth and get a better idea of how the trails relate to the terrain and caches if you load them into GE as well.

• Like 1

Thank you! We are in Kerrville so I was able to check emails and this forum. It sure was nice outside last night at the park and tomorrow morning should be great for those hikes! Just love it here, always have : ) No skeeters and thanks for tips on the bug from hell.

Edited by jdpen74
typo
  • Like 1