SockPuppet

Challenge Caches coming back with changes

Glad I got my "100 Year Old Find" Challenge published before the moratorium!

I read through the new requirements and really don't have a problem with them.  It seems like they thought them out pretty well.  I found if you're a paid member to Project-GC, you can view a map of challenge caches and it will show which ones have a checker and which don't.  Of the one's with checkers, it will show which you qualify for and which you don't.  Pretty slick!

• Like 1

Shout out to TravelingGeek for writing many of the geo-checkers on Project-GC for a lot of the local challenges.  I know I don't have the mental capacity to do that kind of thing and he did a bunch for nearly all of my Galveston challenges.  Much appreciated!  O0

• Like 3

I really need to get out more...I had no idea that Challenges had been "suspended"

In any case I'm glad they're back. Nice tip on project-gc too. Great stuff!

This makes me sad, even though I guess I see their point. I really wanted to see a new icon just for the ease of searching for or excluding challenge caches in a search. Sure, it's not that difficult now but it would sure be nice to be able to look at a map and easily see where a cluster of challenge caches are.

"What’s Not Changing (for now)

The idea of a challenge cache icon or attribute earned significant support from the community. We agree there are a lot of good reasons to implement one. However, we want to confirm that the new framework will reduce the problems which led to the moratorium. It wouldn’t make sense to engineer a new icon or attribute only to lose it if challenge caches don’t work out. We’re going to give it a year or so, and then re-evaluate the situation. If we find that things are going well, then we will strongly consider adding a new icon or attribute for challenge caches"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HoustonControl said:

The new icon is a carrot they're dangling if we all play nicely!

Yes I noticed the subtle threat that if there are too many problems/complaints/reviewer protests the challenges will cease to be allowed. :-\

Not sure if there is another thread on this, but there have been a ton of challenge caches popping up lately.  I'm not a big fan and would, frankly, rather see some more creative hides / themes.  I know others enjoy them, so I'm glad you like them.  Just not for me.

On 6/8/2016 at 10:32 PM, GrangerFam said:

Not sure if there is another thread on this, but there have been a ton of challenge caches popping up lately.  I'm not a big fan and would, frankly, rather see some more creative hides / themes.  I know others enjoy them, so I'm glad you like them.  Just not for me.

i enjoy having a goal or something to work towards while i go out geocaching.  some of the others in my household don't like to just go out for an entire day, so if i have a goal (ie cemeteries, counties, difficulties, etc), then they tolerate more.  if i say i'm working on XYZ challenge, they may have an interest too.

• Like 2

Same here, I kinda like the extra dimension challenges provide. I am, however, also grateful GS has now somewhat regulated challenges, as they got a little out of control. The fact that both the CO has to qualify for the challenges himself and the fact that you need to incorporate a checker has increased their appeal, IMHO.