TXLolly

Do you have a good explanation?

12 posts in this topic

Do you have a good explanation ready for if you are approached by a muggle or even the police?!  Have you ever needed to use it?  I'm not so sure I'm very stealthy, and I'd like to have something ready that really "sells" geocaching so whoever may have 'caught' me won't mess with the cache and might even look it up, and play!

I explain geocaching, plain and simple.

1 person likes this

Well yeah, I didn't mean a lie.  How do you explain geocaching quickly and succinctly to someone who thinks you are probably up to some nefarious?

Just be candid and tell them it is a high-tech treasure hunt.

Or there are times when instead of "high-tech treasure hunt", I say "high-tech Easter egg hunt".

While I try not to go into it with muggles too much unless there is a genuine interest, for law enforcement officers, if my explanation does not seem to satisfy them right away, I show them the app.  I go straight to the "What is geocaching?" video in the app, and then show them caches on the map so they can see they are all over.  Pull up the one you are looking for and show them.  They see an immediate 'realness' about it and know the website to go to in order to look into it more.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, cachestacker said:

While I try not to go into it with muggles too much unless there is a genuine interest, for law enforcement officers, if my explanation does not seem to satisfy them right away, I show them the app.  I go straight to the "What is geocaching?" video in the app, and then show them caches on the map so they can see they are all over.  Pull up the one you are looking for and show them.  They see an immediate 'realness' about it and know the website to go to in order to look into it more.

Lots of individual Law Enforcement Officers know about this. The ones who don't, I will show them the website on my phone (but that's happened once so far.- LEO was in his vehicle and immediately looked it up on his laptop). I do remember a few times giving a "I dropped my pen" explanation when crawling around a redbox or something else where a cache is hidden in a place where folks walked past. They just laugh and I'm sure they're wondered "just how precious is that pen?" 

1 person likes this

If it is a police officer or a city official I simply just tell them I'm geocaching and most the time they know what I'm talking about. If not I just explain it to them. If I get muggled by anyone else I will either explain it or come up with something based on the area I'm in

1 person likes this

Like many others, BFF 2katz and I have had our fair share of LEO encounters, mostly positive. With PoPo we tend to be rather proactive rather than wait n see. For example: When we finally qualified for the CLAPS Challenge, we lost track of time after an event at Clear Lake Park, not realizing park was about to close. That explained the Patrol Car tailing us into the park, towards GZ, even as all others were vacating...which must've looked suspicious. Normally, we would have probably waited to SL, but WE WANTED THIS NOW ;).

Long story short, we sped up, jumped out near GZ w motor running, lights (and headlamps) on and doors open long enough to dive into brush, SL only to find, as expected, a VERY curious LEO waiting in his car with window down...

After we showed him the App and used the "high tech treasure hunt" approach, he was intrigued and introduced to Geocaching. He also wanted to go home, and needed us to leave so he could lock the park gate :-/

2 people like this

Echoing what everyone else said -- my exception to always telling the truth is cemetery caches.... especially if they are IN the cemetery.  I lot of folks wouldn't take kindly to playing a "high-tech treasure hunt" near the final resting place of their loved ones, even if it is harmless.  Prior to geocaching, I stomped through lots of cemeteries doing genealogy research.  I remember going with my wife through every cemetery within 10 miles of the city of Caldwell looking for my great-grandmother (we never found her grave). 

My standing answer for cemetery queries is "I'm looking for my great, great grandfather Levi Justice who's supposed to be buried somewhere around here."  (I do have a great, great grandfather named Levi Justice, but he's buried in the Riverside Cemetery in Bosque County).  I usually try to have a camera with me, or at least my phone, so I can take a pictures of markers in the cemetery.  The GPSr?  "Oh, that's so I can mark the coordinates of the grave for my records".  Yes, I've done that too doing genealogy research.  The vagueness of checking every cemetery in the area works in case the one you are currently in happens to be predominantly black or hispanic or jewish or something-other-than-you.  ^-^

1 person likes this

Don't forget to mention to LEO's - they get free premium membership! 

From geocaching.com:

"Official representatives of parks, land management organizations and law enforcement agencies are eligible for a free Premium Membership. With the premium member status, you are able to identify geocaches currently placed in your region, receivenotifications when new geocaches in your area are placed, and communicate with the geocachers who are playing in your area. "

3 people like this

Wow, I wasn't aware of the free premium membership offer...that's terrific! Thanks. It might be worth printing up some small business card size paper listing the offer along with particulars. Thanks Donna