Thot

Anybody Want to Adopt My Choo Choo Series?

Thot    57

You can see the pivotal cache description here http://coord.info/GC39829 .  It's the one I update the cache page on if the need arises.  All the other cache pages link to this page for changes. 

I created this series intending people to ride the light rail to do it.  Almost no one does.  People are just doing it like regular caches not part of a series with a purpose.  Since the series is downtown and I live in Clear Lake maintenance is a problem.  This is made worse by the fact that downtown caches get a lot of action and the tiny logs in these nanos fill up quickly and occasionally someone with a caching name like I'm the The Girl From Ipanema and I'm just passing by signs their full name.  A couple of years ago I decided if six months go by without someone doing it as intended I would put it up for adoption or archive it.  That time has arrived. 

Any takers?

Edited by Thot

TheNorman    132

Sadly it isn't convenient for us to adopt since we live in Huntsville--otherwise we would.

tuba_dude    82

I have been saying for a while that I wanted to do this series, but I havnt had the time to do it. With me living in Baytown I cant easily adopt/maintain or do the series but I hope I can get it before it is archived.

HoustonControl    1,044

For the record, Kirbydox, Lola and I did it the "right" way.  Of course, Lola had to fend off all the homeless she always seems to attract while riding the train.  Alas, I can't adopt it either...

Thot    57

Thanks for the interest.  Maybe someone will come along before I archive them.

Yes, HC, you did.  And, several people did it as intended soon after it was put out. I think ParkerPlus was the first. Then maybe next was a gang of folks with their kids, including heftydude, cachstacker, trea, Blubberdad, rambetta, et al.

amberita13    186

I guess I didn't realize that how a cache is found would merit it's existence, but if it does go away I'll surely miss it.

I wouldn't miss it because I searched for them as "how it should be" found, (#StreakerProblems), but because I think it serves as an easy smile for those unfamiliar with Downtown Houston and the struggle with GPS is at that location. 

What can I say, I get a kick of tourists creating a memory out of a geocache, no matter how simple it is to find. Quite a few of my logs at my Hobby Airport cache are the only Texas find for them. And, even if it's a "TFTC - my first Texas find!" kind of log, it brings a smile to my face.

• Like 1

Thot    57
10 hours ago, amberita13 said:

I get a kick of tourists creating a memory out of a geocache, no matter how simple it is to find.

You're right it does get finds from tourists.  So, do you want to adopt the series and support our out of town and out of country visitors?

Team 150%    4

Thot....if you leave them in place a little longer myself and mcguyvertwo are going to do the series on a Saturday or Sunday soon. Unfortunately I live on NW side of town and rarely venture down town so I couldn't adopt / maintain them.

Josh

cachestacker    735
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:34 AM, Thot said:

Thanks for the interest.  Maybe someone will come along before I archive them.

Yes, HC, you did.  And, several people did it as intended soon after it was put out. I think ParkerPlus was the first. Then maybe next was a gang of folks with their kids, including heftydude, cachstacker, trea, Blubberdad, rambetta, et al.

We had a double event to do your series.  First - St. Arnold's.  Then - Flying Saucer.  After sufficient beer samplings at both locations we boarded the choo choo and did the whole series. It was the first time I had ridden it all the way to the end. 

It was great to do the series with a group and a lot of fun to do it with the kids.  I remember the kids getting a bit competitive after getting a general direction and a hint and beating the adults to GZ.  Dangerman was the biggest kid there, I think, but often lost out to those with far less age and experience.  But he was just as competitive as they were.  ;)

Thot - keep it going a while.  I would encourage anyone who has not done this series to get a group together to do it 'the right way'.  Especially if you have kid cachers.  And do it before it gets too hot.  It really was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

tuba_dude    82
8 hours ago, cachestacker said:

Thot - keep it going a while.  I would encourage anyone who has not done this series to get a group together to do it 'the right way'.  Especially if you have kid cachers.  And do it before it gets too hot.  It really was a lot of fun.

I think this is a great idea. One reason I havn't done it yet is because I don't want to do it alone and all of my normal caching buddies have all ready done it. If anyone is interested in doing it in a group please let me know 

• Like 1

Thot    57
16 hours ago, tuba_dude said:

I think this is a great idea. One reason I havn't done it yet is because I don't want to do it alone and all of my normal caching buddies have all ready done it. If anyone is interested in doing it in a group please let me know 

Did you see above where Team 150% are considering doing it

LilSpitFire has been wanting to ride the train every time she comes with me to MD An.  I have my mind off caching most of the time.   This might be a fun little ride.  Hope you don't archive to soon.

The majority of my geocaches are in downtown and the hermann park/museum district. I often take the rail back and forth when checking on my hides. I've only done a couple of "Choo Choo" caches but would love to do them in order. Let me know if anyone wants to get together to do this series.

Thot    57

Since there were no takers I going to let the series die, on cache at a time.

Here's the first  https://coord.info/GC3983N

I can't get the Edit function to work so I'll explain what you probably already understood.

It should have read "one cache at a time"

Hi Thot...i would be willing to take over the "Choo Choo" series. I hate to see a great one end. Let me know.

-HoustonTxDave

P.S. I thought maybe we could change the type of caches to letterboxes for the choo choo series. That way people would be searching for stamps at each stop. They could bring their passport and ink pad to stamp their book. Once they found all the stamps and complete the choo choo series...they would email me to get a "souvenir" to add to their page. This would eliminate the need to constantly refilling the nano caches. Stamps are cheap to get and replace. Hows that sound?

-HoustonTxDave

tuba_dude    82
2 hours ago, HoustonTxDave said:

Hi Thot...i would be willing to take over the "Choo Choo" series. I hate to see a great one end. Let me know.

-HoustonTxDave

P.S. I thought maybe we could change the type of caches to letterboxes for the choo choo series. That way people would be searching for stamps at each stop. They could bring their passport and ink pad to stamp their book. Once they found all the stamps and complete the choo choo series...they would email me to get a "souvenir" to add to their page. This would eliminate the need to constantly refilling the nano caches. Stamps are cheap to get and replace. Hows that sound?

-HoustonTxDave

This is a good idea, however I don't think PR would agree. Isn't regulation that all caches (with the exception of virtuals, webcams, earth caches, and event) must contain logbooks? I think in order for just a stamp to be present it would have to be 1 letter box with multiple stops, or a puzzle cache or a multi 

Thot    57
6 hours ago, HoustonTxDave said:

I thought maybe we could change the type of caches to letterboxes for the choo choo series. That way people would be searching for stamps at each stop. They could bring their passport and ink pad to stamp their book. Once they found all the stamps and complete the choo choo series...they would email me to get a "souvenir" to add to their page. This would eliminate the need to constantly refilling the nano caches. Stamps are cheap to get and replace. Hows that sound?

I don't think I understand your proposal.  By "stamp" do you mean a rubber stamp like is used in letterboxing?  First, almost none of the locations I use for the series would accommodate a stamp.  Also, GC.com rules require a signable log in any Traditional cache. 

I think it would be best to keep thot's traditional micro caches on the Choo Choo series the same. Keep it simple. I sent you a private email with my contact info so we can chat about it. Im going to read all your choo choo caches and put some time aside to visit all of them. Hope i can continue on your great train series.

Thot    57

Well groundspeaks cranky idiocy continues to build.  Now they refuse to unarchive my ChooChoo cache I archived yesterday.

They say if they archive it for your failure to act responsibly they will unarchive it, but if you archive it to prevent this happening they won't.

HoustonTxDave has adopted the series and I wanted to make it complete, but no, Jeremy the walking ego strikes again.

I attribute all this arbitrariness and capriciousness to Jeremy

Edited by Thot

TheNorman    132

Surely it shouldn't be difficult to recreate the archived cache and submit it as a new cache.  I did something similar up here in Huntsville when a cache hand-off get slightly messed up.  I called the new cache:  (whatever the original name was) Again!  I had no problem getting it approved.

Hi Thot,

I received your requests to transfer the "Choo Choo" series caches today. All were approved. We will be out this weekend checking on the condition of each geocache. I will give you a call on saturday afternoon june 18th so we can chat about anything i need to get up to speed on.

-HoustonTxDave

Edited by HoustonTxDave
  • Like 2

tuba_dude    82

Thank you Dave for keeping this series alive. I would like to do it some day but every time I get the chance to go do it something else comes up at the last minute.

Thot    57
17 hours ago, TheNorman said:

Surely it shouldn't be difficult to recreate the archived cache and submit it as a new cache.  I did something similar up here in Huntsville when a cache hand-off get slightly messed up.  I called the new cache:  (whatever the original name was) Again!  I had no problem getting it approved.

Huntsville and Houston are different.   Near the central area of Houston it's so dense with caches it can be difficult to get a location.  When I first created the series, Fannin South wasn't part of it because there was an interfering cache.  The cache was a multi and also prevented me from getting the location I wanted at the medical center transit station.  I put out a cache in each area I wanted, put a watch on the the interfering cache and waited two years. Within hours of it being archived I submitted my Choo Choo Fannin South, blocking anyone else from getting near the location.

Edited by Thot
corrections

TheNorman    132

And I assume that the same can be done now.  But perhaps someone has already grabbed the location.  It couldn't hurt to try.