tuba_dude

looking for a good doctor/surgeon

tuba_dude    82

OK guys, I am finally caving and I'm ready to have surgery but I don't know what to do or where to go.

For those of you who don't know, I hurt my back about 10 years ago and I am in constant pain. I hurt 24/7/365 and I'm sick of it. The only pain medicine that was helping me tolerate the pain has quit working and there are some days that I can't get out of bed without help. As I type this I am sitting at my desk at work and tears are running down my cheeks because I am hurting so bad.

I was told about 5 years ago that I needed to have a back surgery but I have been putting it off and putting it off. 

I am ready to go talk to a doctor/surgeon to see what my options are. Does anyone have a suggestion on who I should go talk to? 

yoraffetto    24

I struggled with crippling back pain for two years. Like you: couldn't walk, couldn't even help care for my kids, in tears daily. Tried medication, chiropractic care, physical therapy. Nothing worked. I finally gave in and agreed to surgery. Got consultations from three different physicians. Picked Navin Subramanian. He corrected my ruptured disc at L5-S1. I woke up from surgery and was immediately aware that my pain was gone. It was miraculous. Three years later, I'm still completely free of pain. It changed my life. The cliche of back surgery (you leave the hospital worse than when you came in) made me put it off for those two years. Knowing how successful it was, I wish I hadn't.

Dr. Subramnian is a really nice guy. He operates out of Methodist and St. Joseph, primarily. At least, he used to. My surgery was done at a surgery center on Richmond (that's just where he happened to be the day I scheduled my operation). It was a swanky place. He has office locations both downtown and near the Galleria. I had Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance through my employer (MD Anderson) that covered 95% of the cost. I give Dr. Subramanian and his team my full recommendation.

Edited by yoraffetto
  • Like 3

GASTX    388
8 hours ago, yoraffetto said:

I struggled with crippling back pain for two years. Like you: couldn't walk, couldn't even help care for my kids, in tears daily. Tried medication, chiropractic care, physical therapy. Nothing worked. I finally gave in and agreed to surgery. Got consultations from three different physicians. Picked Navin Subramanian. He corrected my ruptured disc at L5-S1. I woke up from surgery and was immediately aware that my pain was gone. It was miraculous. Three years later, I'm still completely free of pain. It changed my life. The cliche of back surgery (you leave the hospital worse than when you came in) made me put it off for those two years. Knowing how successful it was, I wish I hadn't.

Dr. Subramnian is a really nice guy. He operates out of Methodist and St. Joseph, primarily. At least, he used to. My surgery was done at a surgery center on Richmond (that's just where he happened to be the day I scheduled my operation). It was a swanky place. He has office locations both downtown and near the Galleria. I had Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance through my employer (MD Anderson) that covered 95% of the cost. I give Dr. Subramanian and his team my full recommendation.

My doc as well, he is as close to a back GOD as there is. I suffered for 25 years with back pain, when I finally couldn't get out of bed I went to him. After a MRI he said 1 hours work on a bulged disc (pounding on a nerve). Gave me a 99% guarantee this would fix it. 6 years since with no pain, nada, zilch.

In at 7AM, Home by noon. One day of minor pain from lap sites and I was good to go.

Call him, he is tops in my book

• Like 1

tuba_dude    82

Thank you guys for the recommendations. I am going to look him up tonight while I'm at work

Thot    57

A few years ago when I was considering neck surgery J. BOB BLACKLOCK, M.D. was as highly recommended as they get.  I don't know if he does backs or just necks. 

tuba_dude    82

I have decided I'm going to go talk to Dr. Subramanian, but I was told I have to wait until the spouse gets his medical straighten out. So I'll probably make an appointment to go see him after Geo woodstock 

• Like 1