Sign in to follow this  
SockPuppet

Houston Cistern o[pen to the public Friday the 13th

I'll have to visit that on one of my return trips to Houston. I've heard about it for years but had no idea it was to be opened to the public.

It is near the skate park. I'll have to see if you can get a GPS signal under there.

Edited by SockPuppet

I have been interested in this location for awhile for a placement of some type of cache.  It is close to two other caches in the area.  You have to make a reservation for a certain time.  I am making plans to at least visit the location soon.  Here is some information   -  -  -

Tours of the Buffalo Bayou Park Cistern
Where: 105 Sabine, adjacent to the Wortham Insurance Visitor Center at The Water Works
When: Tours open to the public beginning Friday, May 13.
Hours: 3-7 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.
Who: Open to individuals 9 and older; children younger than 9 not admitted.
Cost: $2 per person; free on Thursdays.
Reservations/Tickets: buffalobayou.org

• Like 1

Thanks Neal. I am going next Thursday. There is a Friday opening but getting back home during rush  hour would be an issue.

Thats what I am thinking.  Too close to other caches for an actual cache.  Tours are limited to 30 people at $2.00 each.  Plan for an event six to eight weeks ahead.    Saturday or Sundays might be best to get more cachers at a time and get reservations in place.  Thursday & Fridays might be a little hard for some - that late in the day and fighting the traffic and parking.

• Like 1

There is 3 hr parking right at the Tour doors at the Skate park. ParkerPlus was there. The park person asked if he could make the 0.25 mile walk. I told them you would be surprised. There is a railing around the whole think. I think it is actually longer than 0.25 miles but there are at least 4 rest stops along the way. He has no trouble at all.

IMG_5299.JPG

• Like 1