Sign in to follow this  
Team Four Paw

Forum decline

I visit countless forums that span the gamut of topics. Since facebook and the likes forums have taken a huge hit. So for those who are interested here are two graphs showing the decline here on HGCS.

HGCS was registered on May 16th 2005. Hard to believe in just a few days this forum has been online for 11yrs.

2016-05-05 07_40_48-Settings.png

2016-05-05 07_42_33-Settings.png

2016-05-05 07_52_29-Settings.png

Edited by Team Four Paw
added daily post graph

Yeppers. Where do go from here? The way people are consuming information is changing. I don't imagine HGCS being around another 10yrs.

I have no clue to help you.  I run a forum here in Baytown and it is active during the week and dead on weekends.

I always stop by to take a look at what people are posting, but I don't start too many new topics.

It would be sad if this disappeared since this is one of the main ways that I can keep in touch with people about the Challenge and other events--we just don't make it down to Houston very often.

Jason, your chart(s) almost exactly mirror Google Trends chart of activity. It's interesting. I've noticed it too...for a while now.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=forums

I too belong to many "online communities". The professional ones, the ones dedicated to business trades, mostly seem to be thriving as ever, at least the ones that were established in their respective space first, and that are well maintained and moderated against strict rules. 

http://hvac-talk.com, or https://community.spiceworks.com/ for example, are two glaring exceptions to the general decline of online communities. 2coolFishing, TexasKayakFisherman are a couple of others that seem to be hanging in there too. Hunting and Fishing. Go figure.

Hobbies and interest type forums seem to be all suffering similar erosion of activity. Speaking for myself, social sites like FB have nothing to do with my ebbing/waning activity level in each of my memberships. Is there some overlap? Yes. 

When I look at the charts you posted and consider the timeline, I can't help but think what a perfect storm of high speed mobile, matched with an explosive and non-stop supply "stuff" that interests, entertains, inflames, or otherwise seems to satisfy or satiate enough to gobble up available time during that period. I watch youngsters right now (High School), and indeed, people in any public setting and note how addicted they've become to their smartphones and reddit or whatever. I find it both amazing and scary. More and Faster...but not sure about Better.

What's next for HGCS? Well, I certainly don't know. I will say that the site continues to be an authoritative body of general geocaching knowledge on the Internet. At last look, Google has more than 160,000 references to HGCS.org posts, articles, and information. That's pretty cool if you ask me. It's worth preserving and sustaining. To do so probably will require some changes. This is definitely something worth talking about IMO. 

I wonder how the analytics look Jason? 

• Like 1

I am a throwback to the bulletin board / newsgroups days. I still hangout in numerous IRC chat rooms. I am an eight plus year member of several GPS forums and just prefer them. I do not have a FB, Twit or MY-S accounts and wont until I just don't have a choice.

I understand keeping a forum up and running isn't a free (time or $$$$$) endeavor and appreciate owners / admins who maintain them because they just like to.  :)

Edited by GASTX
  • Like 2

No bones about it: I'm a millennial and a heavy FB user.

I do check this forum daily and will respond to new topics, but otherwise don't have anything new to say :)

• Like 1

I don't post anything new on any social media or forum because I don't feel like I'm interesting enough, but I will reply to topics

Some very interesting analysis posted by Kenny & Stan. I myself have noticed the decline in activity at the forums as well, and I am positive it is directly related to the creation of the SETX- & Houston Area Geocachers FB pages. It seems a lot of folks were already on FB and with the creation of these specific interest group pages there was no longer a need for them to go to a separate web-entity.

Personally I think it's sad th forums aren't as active anymore, even though I have moved out of the Houston area. To me they were a great source of information and above all a place where I felt welcomed when I moved to the Houston area.

Above all, to me the Houston forums were a place where people respected each other and shared the love for Geocaching in a relatively respectful way. There is also a Dutch geocaching forum which I've visited a couple of times, but that seems to be a place mainly for people to bicker and force their opinion (about how one should geocache) upon others. Not a very healthy nor desirable environment if you ask me.

So, Jason, in short: thanks for all the effort you put in to keep this site alive, and thanks to all you H-town folks for being the people you are!

• Like 4

I am on a fishing forum and it is locally run and seems to get bigger every year. The forum has everything under the sun and not just fishing. It also has paid sponsors. It is very active and useful. 2coolfishing.com

There are special sections for politics and sports. There are classifieds and also section that cannot be replied to.

Edited by SockPuppet