Sign in to follow this  
Team 150%

USGS Quad Maps

Guys,

Ive been working on the USGS Quad Challenge for Houston.  I find the resolution of the USGS quad maps online lacking when using my iPad as I travel the more remote quads to make sure the cache is in the quad I think it is.  Does anybody know of an app that allows overlaying the quad lines and names onto a more high resolution map?

Josh

When I was working on that challenge, I opened the .kml with the grid in Google Earth and then generated a .gpx from GSAK with all the available caches and added it to GE as well. That allowed me to easily determine my targets for the day. Maybe a bit clunky, but it worked well enough for me. You won't have the caches displayed graphically by grid, but in the remote quadrants there are so few caches available that making a list in some format is easily done.

Troglodyte,

Im basically doing the same thing for the really remote quads but I just preplan and write the few available in a tally book and make sure I get them.  I guess my big annoyance has been some of the quads far from me that have multiple caches but I am only passing through a corner quickly without preplanning (work, family, etc).  It would be nice to quickly pull up the quad map overlay, etc and see which ones on that section of highway actually fall into the correct quad.  I found the Apple App "Topo Maps" allows you to select a quad and it will download a higher resolution version of the USGS map.  Definitely easier to pinch zoom, etc on but still can't over / underlay.

Josh