Four Cache Loop - Lets set a date

Trying to get a group together for the 4 cache loop...pick the date best for you   18 votes

1. 1. Trying to get a group together for the 4 cache loop...pick the date best for you

• October 8
    • October 15
    • October 22
    • October 29

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

192 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Count me in for the four cache loop!  And I like the idea of Huntsville State Park.  Just let me know when and where my presents is needed, and I'll do my due diligence to be there.

Posted · Report post

Well....darnit....HSP is booked as of now. Does anyone know of an Army Corp of Engineers park up there or any other options?

Posted · Report post

Well....darnit....HSP is booked as of now. Does anyone know of an Army Corp of Engineers park up there or any other options?

For those who can hack it, primitive camping is allowed along the entire length of the Lone Star Trail, of which the Four Notch Loop is but a small part.  "Survivor FCL," anyone???

Posted · Report post

For those who can hack it, primitive camping is allowed along the entire length of the Lone Star Trail, of which the Four Notch Loop is but a small part.  "Survivor FCL," anyone???

We've not done any primitive camping....I really liked the idea of having showers nearby after the hike....I know I'm a wuss. :-\

Posted · Report post

Cagle Recreation Area is approximately 8 miles West of I-45 and approximately 5 miles West of the District Office.

Cagle Recreation Area

394 FM 1375 WEST

NEW WAVERLY TX 77358

For more information about the park, please call ( 936)344-6205

Getting There

From New Waverly, Texas, go 22 miles east on Highway 150 to FM2025, then south 1/4 mile to campground.

Double Lake Recreation Area

301 FM 2025

COLDSPRING TX 77331

For more information about the park, please call ( 936)653-3448

these are a couple I could find

Posted · Report post

Double Lake Recreation Area

301 FM 2025

COLDSPRING TX 77331

For more information about the park, please call ( 936)653-3448

I've stayed at Double Lakes a couple of times. Nice enough and they have flushies!!!

gsguru

Posted · Report post

well that rules that place out   :(

heehee, I got used to looking for campsites that had flushies while camping with 30 girl scouts.... they don't like "outhouses" heehee  :P

Posted · Report post

Cagle looks good....http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/recreation/sam_houston/cagle.shtml Go check em out see what ya'll think. Its not as close as Huntsville State Park. But what I might do is contact Ty Dolan the owner of FCL and see what his thoughts are on it.

Here's a map of the area http://www.reserveusa.com/generateMaps?zoom=1&long=8&lat=11#scrld The triangle right on I45 is Cagle. I'm thinkin that would be best. If you click on the Cagle link you can learn more about it. They have lots of space available.

Unless one of the FCL veterans has input?

Posted · Report post

I can't help becasue I was in and out on the same day, but from what I have read Ty knows a lot of good places on the FCL, I'll try and see if Ivan Tofindit will jump in as I know he has camped out on the FCL with a bunch of scouts.

Posted · Report post

Jeff and I went out to Brazos Bend camping/caching/hiking this past weekend. I haven't logged the caches we got....so the only thing I have to say about the FCL is I hope it cools off! We probably walked 10 miles this weekend.....5 of which were yesterday, and OMG...it was HOT! Lets hope for cooler weather October 15.

So did ya'll looky at the campsites?

Posted · Report post

Looks like the 15th is out for me now.  I volunteered to help out at the Administaff Small Business Classic -- a Champions Tour golf tournament (you know, geezer golf) in Spring that week and they have me scheduled to rub shoulders with Arnold Palmer on Saturday.  The 22nd looks possible though, mtp, if we decide to set up a second group.  Like you, I'd prefer to travel, get in, and get out all on one day.  The most primitive camping I like to do is in a 45' Prevost!  :D

Posted · Report post

I have an update on my schedule.  I'll be able to make it Oct 15th, but not Oct 22.  It seems I forgot about a certain cruise to mexico that leaves on Oct 22.  I'll be watching for a more certain date on this trip.  I really hope I can make it.

Cheerio!,

Thunor

Posted · Report post

I have an update on my schedule.  I'll be able to make it Oct 15th, but not Oct 22.  It seems I forgot about a certain cruise to mexico that leaves on Oct 22.  I'll be watching for a more certain date on this trip.  I really hope I can make it.

Cheerio!,

Thunor

We're definately going on the 15th for the hike. Ty Dolan has agreed to take us in. I think there's a second group that are planning on making the 22nd their date so that gives everyone a choice.

The group on the 15th is talking about camping at the camp sites listed above in my post. I'm glad you'll be able to make it!

Theresa

Posted · Report post

Here are the campgrounds with flushies.  I've not been to cagle other than a drive through, but I have stayed at stubblefield before.  It's got flushies and showers.  I would definitely recommend a shower after the hike since a couple weeks ago I got into a nest of seed ticks and they got me good ALL OVER!  :o  Those buggers can climb fast!

:D TD

[House cleaning - attachment deleted by admin]

Posted · Report post

I am only trying to help with this note.  I thought you guys wanted to camp along the trail at the Four Cache Loop.  If so, then you will have to carry your stuff up and down the various creeks.  If you camp around the Conroe area you have pretty much committed yourself to completing the Four Cache Loop in one day.  Now I will but out.

Posted · Report post

Here are the campgrounds with flushies.  I've not been to cagle other than a drive through, but I have stayed at stubblefield before.  It's got flushies and showers.  I would definitely recommend a shower after the hike since a couple weeks ago I got into a nest of seed ticks and they got me good ALL OVER!   :o  Those buggers can climb fast!

:D TD

I think Cagle looks closer, right? Seems more logical to stay there.

Thanks for your input SP....I just think I'd rather do the whole thing in one day, then shower at night....those ticks sound YUCKY!

Posted · Report post

We're not going to be able to camp, the tx_secsy clan that is....but we're STILL headed out there that morning. What time ya'll wanna get hiking? I'm thinkin starting at 8:00? That too early for everyone?

Maybe we can just relax at the end for a while!

I also need to know how many hikers on your team.

Lookin forward to it!

Posted · Report post

This is by NO MEANS a motion of intent, but The Snoogstress (Mynda) and I have been discussing going on this hike with you all. She has heard the stories and is interested.

It's either that or kayaking.

I happen to know someone else that is thinking of going for their second trip too. Given that they have very special plans for the day before, I wouldn't miss it if they decided to hike.

Posted · Report post

This is by NO MEANS a motion of intent, but The Snoogstress (Mynda) and I have been discussing going on this hike with you all. She has heard the stories and is interested.

It's either that or kayaking.

I happen to know someone else that is thinking of going for their second trip too. Given that they have very special plans for the day before, I wouldn't miss it if they decided to hike.

Who?  ???

Posted · Report post

just wanted to throw my 2 cents in though i won't be going.  my brother and i did this one about a year ago and we camped out near a lake that was at least near the trail.  it was awesome!  tdonley probably knows exactly where the lake is.  and the gear would have been easily manageable (?)  had we not had to carry in a couple of gallons of wine!  you guys have fun!

Posted · Report post

just wanted to throw my 2 cents in though i won't be going.  my brother and i did this one about a year ago and we camped out near a lake that was at least near the trail.  it was awesome!  tdonley probably knows exactly where the lake is.  and the gear would have been easily manageable (?)  had we not had to carry in a couple of gallons of wine!  you guys have fun!

Wooohoooo sounds like I missed the trip with the wine!

Unfortunately no camping for me....maybe next time Others might be interested though!

Posted · Report post

Who?  ???

I can't say. It's not my place, but you DO know them.

BTW- I just heard that they may be making other plans...... Mynda and I are still undecided and may not decide until the last minute, so don't count on us. We just got our Kayaks and really have the itch to do that, but FCL is a blast too.

Someone NEEEEEDS to let Thumpmeister know you're going. She has done it 5 times and I'd bet money she'd do it again.

Posted · Report post

Count me in for the hike, barring any unforseen circumstances that usually pops up.  I'll meet ya'll at the trail head that Saturday morning.  I've been looking forward to doing this cache for a year, I can't wait!    ;D

Posted · Report post

One more for the hike. Not going to be camping, though. Are we starting at 8:00??

gsguru