Sign in to follow this  
Team 150%

Rare Earth Magnets

Team 150%    4

Has anyone ever utilized a rare earth magnet (Neodymium is most common) to secure a larger cache? If so what size (lb force) and did you post any type of warning about risk to people with pacemakers, etc?

Josh

cachestacker    735

Smaller ones you get at hobby stores are used all the time to secure bison tubes to metallic things.  Usually glued in the bottom or top or wrapped in duct tape.  Never seen a warning, but while these are strong for their size they are not strong relative to the world.

Never seen anything on a bigger scale or for anything much larger or stronger than that or a pill bottle in a 'fishing' type of cache.

Baytown Bert    1,117

I've seen a pair of hard drive magnets secure a 4 inch lock and lock that will almost pinch your fingers when it gets close to metal.

Team 150%    4

Without giving to much away I want to place a cache that Im estimating I need about 20 lbs of holding force which is easily doable with a REM.  It would be similar in strength to the magnets BB is describing.  Just from the planned location I doubt anyone with a pacemaker would be grabbing it but if they did there is a extremely slim possibility if they held it to their chest it may deactivate the pacemaker.

Josh

Baytown Bert    1,117

Just put a note on the page explaining that it may be hazardous to people with a pacemaker if the hold it to their chest.