wowieann

Running Up the Numbers

25 posts in this topic

I like to take my time when I cache and enjoy quality of quantity in caches I find, BUT....

I'm embarrassed to say that in the nearly ten years I've been caching I've only found 800-something caches.  I'd really like to join the "comon club" before I reach my ten year "Cacheversary" (I joined Geocaching.com and started caching in February 2006,)

If I find an average of two caches a day between now and then, I'll make it - but I don't have the opportunity to cache every day,

I know people that have found a hundred of more caches in one day.  I don't know how that's possible, but I would assume they're going to areas that are very cache-dense.  Can anyone recommend any of these areas to me?  I need to get these numbers up, and in doing so I'd like to have 10+ finds on days that I can devote to caching.

Thanks in advance!

Valerie (wowieann)

There are power trails out there but you can also go to as many events as possible. Especially the ones where caching is involved. I have a caching event on 12/5 at the TEXAS series where a group of us will get 25+ caches in one day, on 12/12 there is a kayaking series event on armond bayou, Baytown bert has a brawndo series event on 1/2, etc. 

I found 40 caches the other day in NE houston at Dwight Eisenhower park

https://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=31.54239&lng=-96.8336&asq=QD0zMS41NDIzOSwtOTYuODMzNiZvcmlnaW49bWFydCwgdHgmb3Q9MyZnPTMxNDg4NSZyYWRpdXM9MTBtaQ==#?ll=31.54239,-96.8336&z=14

Click Clear Filter.  Zoom out.  There are runs S and SW of that area, N of that area, and NW of Waco, too.  Kinda all over out there.  More than you can do in a day.

Go with someone or a couple someones and you can easily do 100+ in a day.  Easy.  I've done 100+ solo.  With 2 or more you can get all you need to reach a goal number you want to hit out there based upon when you go so you can come back with some finds remaining.  This way you can grab some now and then before your anniversary and choose your milestone cache (special cache, event, etc.) for #1,000.

Caching with a group out there is fun.

Edited by cachestacker

A lot depends on how physically fit you are.  Jones Forest has 42 up around The Woodlands, but you'll be hoofing it for hours.

There's a power trail along 242 (242 Cache and dash #1) along 242 with around 66 caches or so plus a few that aren't part of that series.

Probably the best thing to do is "View the Geocaching Map" under Play on GC.com.  There are several good series in your area and LOTS of caches in general.  You should easily be able to get 20+ in a day without ever traveling very far from home.

Me and PromedRick did the 242 series http://coord.info/GC3EH07  and I finished the day off with 100 finds that day.   Around the lakes  THEPASTOR http://coord.info/GC397CF has alot.  We did 120 in a day up there and then Promed went back another day and did 180.   The   ELEMENT series http://coord.info/GC397CF  out towards Katy could be done in a day or two  Think its like 99 caches  but what til it has not been raining.  The Claps event  http://coord.info/GC62A15  on the 12 would be one I would recommend.  Wish I could go this year. Depends on where ya live, But Baytown has an nice little series I enjoyed doing another day we got over 100.  BaytownBurts  http://coord.info/GC2HQV6 . 

What cachestacker said.  We got over 200 in a day up there without much problem.  Suggest a day and I bet someone will go with you, Valerie.

Now you have got me thinking wowieann. I'm going to try to get 1000 find for 2015. It is November 30th and I am sitting at 806 finds right now. That is only 6 caches a day and I am going to at least 2 series event in December.

I'm in the same boat.  I need 100 caches to hit my yearly goal of 1000.  It's about the only goal I have that is a big deal to me.

1000 in one year is a lofty goal to me. I'm at 867 now and don't think I'm motivated enough to do that right now. 

Just because 100 in one day is feasible, it by no means is a cake walk...aka: physically demanding! 

I passed out in exhaustion & I wasn't even back in Hosuton yet :P (omg I hope a picture isn't around somewhere)

I should get 50 today. (god willing and the bayou don't rise.)

On 12/1/2015, 6:35:00, amberita13 said:

1000 in one year is a lofty goal to me. I'm at 867 now and don't think I'm motivated enough to do that right now. 

Just because 100 in one day is feasible, it by no means is a cake walk...aka: physically demanding! 

I passed out in exhaustion & I wasn't even back in Hosuton yet :P (omg I hope a picture isn't around somewhere)

You were so tired you had to rest your foot...

IMG_0759.thumb.JPG.6d265e97d899c661aa6ec

1 person likes this

It's not like she was running a marathon or anything, but you'da thunk she ran two back to back by the time she was done.

Actually surprised she's no the one laying down.

No kidding. I was surprised that by the end of the day Amber was huddled in the back back seat under a blanket looking like she'd just finished a marathon or three. It was a long caching day but it wasn't that bad! 

I'd forgotten we stopped and took that picture. It was a fun day.

Wow...I just got back from running &, I feel SO entergized!  ;)

Actually, I'm still trying to figure it out. Because I ran 9 miles before the Lone Star CITO where we hiked for 5 hours & my legs were worn out, but I was no where as exhausted overall.

I blame it on being an introvert.

Y'all are just too social for me - draining my energy ;)

I'm still trying to decide if I should run before TEXAS this Saturday too...or just run my 7 miles on Sunday... :/

If I ever start looking like these people going down stairs: Please tell me to stop geocaching & go home. :)

http://nyti.ms/1wYYgGY

13 hours ago, amberita13 said:

Actually, I'm still trying to figure it out. Because I ran 9 miles before the Lone Star CITO where we hiked for 5 hours & my legs were worn out, but I was no where as exhausted overall.

I'm still trying to decide if I should run before TEXAS this Saturday too...or just run my 7 miles on Sunday... :/

If I ever start looking like these people going down stairs: Please tell me to stop geocaching & go home. :)

LOL.  The nice thing about the Marine Corps Marathon is that the DC Metro has escalators.  :laugh:

2 people like this

17 hours ago, amberita13 said:

Will I see you at the Brazos Bend 100 next weekend? :buck2:

I walk like those people in the video all the time and that's just to an LPC...

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, CANINE QUEEN said:

Will I see you at the Brazos Bend 100 next weekend? :buck2:

Nope! I have no interest in THAT long of a distance. The most I've ever run was 14.5 miles & that was because I wanted to hang out with our running group "marathon group" 'cause they had the best conversations :)

1 person likes this

I racked up 33 finds today in just 6 hours. It would have been more, but I was stopped by PD because they were closing the road for a Christmas parade. So instead of turning around to go find more caches, I stopped and watched the parade. :)

2 people like this

On 11/30/2015, 12:13:39, wowieann said:

I like to take my time when I cache and enjoy quality of quantity in caches I find, BUT....

I'm embarrassed to say that in the nearly ten years I've been caching I've only found 800-something caches.  I'd really like to join the "comon club" before I reach my ten year "Cacheversary" (I joined Geocaching.com and started caching in February 2006,)

If I find an average of two caches a day between now and then, I'll make it - but I don't have the opportunity to cache every day,

I know people that have found a hundred of more caches in one day.  I don't know how that's possible, but I would assume they're going to areas that are very cache-dense.  Can anyone recommend any of these areas to me?  I need to get these numbers up, and in doing so I'd like to have 10+ finds on days that I can devote to caching.

Thanks in advance!

Valerie (wowieann)

Hi wowieann,

There's nothing to be embarrassed about. I run against the geocaching grain but i wanted to add something for thought. For me, my 10 year anniversary would be better off finding one really good cache. There are some awesome ones out there that will provide great memories that will last. I know that most everyone is out for numbers these days but honestly, getting them so fast where everything is a blur, may not be what you're looking for.

Otherwise, others have posted some good ideas for numbers acquisition above. I would add that going along with good friends or family make these more fun and memorable.

1 person likes this

Combining the anniversary with a milestone and a worthy cache is attainable.  Lots of choices for that special 1k one.  And the milestone will make it that much more memorable.

1 person likes this

On November 30th I set a goal for myself of 1,000 caches. At that time I was sitting at 806 finds. That meant that I needed to find 194 caches in December. As of right now I still have not reached my goal but I have made a huge dent in it. It is December 20th and when I finished logging my caches for today, I had found 180 caches this month. That means I am only 14 caches away from my goal. I can do this!

5 people like this