jdpen74

Oldest caches in Houston area

jdpen74    18

Hi folks!

I was wondering if anyone has compiled a list of the oldest caches in Houston and, say within 60 miles of going east, west, north and south? After searching through hundreds of caches for the state of Texas starting with the first one placed and working back up to the newer ones I finally got tired of staring at the computer screen and stopped at about 2003 for cache placement date. Some caches can quickly be identified as to where they are located based on the name so I searched that way along with looking at familiar cacher's names. I found some dating back to 2001-2003 from by BaytownBert, ATMA (adopted?), Thot, Teddielynn (one that's been around since '03 in little old Manvel!), HoustonControl and a couple others. But, being new to this, I wouldn't know all the names of those who have been around for a long time. Did I miss something or is this actually the quickest way to find the older ones closer to home? I have one of ATMA's original logbooks from 2005 that I just think is so neat! (paper mache mush I took home to dry) Seems like a big task to make such a list but it would be neat to find those old ones before they are gone.

tuba_dude    82
Thot    57
8 hours ago, tuba_dude said:

I'm not sure if this is actually Houston's first but here a pretty old one.

Houston's First (GC203)

Yes, that is Houston's first cache.  It was not placed by Zepher, she adopted it.  Since she doesn't seem to credit the original owner I no longer remember who it was.

jdpen74    18

Wow! That's some list tuba_dude. I played around with pocket queries for the first time this morning ~ Not sure how you got the list in the preferred order but I did figure out how to atleast create the list and download it. Looking at the list you made on a map sure makes it seem a lot more difficult to get them all in one day. Maybe it can be done in 2 with no sleep.

2 hours ago, Thot said:

Yes, that is Houston's first cache.  It was not placed by Zepher, she adopted it.  Since she doesn't seem to credit the original owner I no longer remember who it was.

I've had Houston's First on my mind since we started playing. Never knew it was adopted.

• Like 1

TheNorman    132

On the geocaching.com website, most of the searches that one might do are sortable--so if you click on "Placed" it probably gives you the most recent caches, and if you click again, it will give you the oldest caches.

jdpen74    18

It does work that way! In order, exactly. Thanks! These pocket query and bookmarks lists seems to be a great way to plan partner/group caches. I imagine the strategies are endless.

tuba_dude    82
8 hours ago, jdpen74 said:

Wow! That's some list tuba_dude.

I said bookmark but I meant Pocket Querie. It didnt take me long to get the list, it just took a little bit to transfer the links from geocaching.com to here.

8 hours ago, TheNorman said:

On the geocaching.com website, most of the searches that one might do are sortable--so if you click on "Placed" it probably gives you the most recent caches, and if you click again, it will give you the oldest caches.

This is how I got the list in the above order.

Mudfrog    98
On 11/3/2015, 8:36:36, Thot said:

That was our 12th cache to get a longgggg time ago. It was originally placed by Allen and Karen.

• Like 1

jdpen74    18
On 11/4/2015, 12:19:07, Mudfrog said:
On 11/3/2015, 8:36:36, Thot said:

That was our 12th cache to get a longgggg time ago. It was originally placed by Allen and Karen.

My husband and I got this one yesterday. It was my 500th! It's easy to put in a google search for Houston's oldest geocache but not so much for some of them like the list Tuba_dude made. Has anyone gotten the oldest in Texas- Tombstone?

jdpen74    18
On Wed Nov 04 2015 12:19:07 GMT-0600, Mudfrog said:

That was 12th cache to get a longgggg time ago. It was originally placed by Allen and Karen.

Why do I try to reply and automatically a quote appears? 

jdpen74    18

Okay, now that quotes aren't auto appearing, AWESOME HoustonControl! I realized after asking the question that Tombstone is a multi? I didn't know those were around back then. 

jdpen74    18

I have another question regarding one cache in particular that is on both tuba_dude's list and mine. The code is GCF447. It's about 5 minutes from where we live so because of that and because of it's history, I want to preserve it. The orignal owner is no longer active and someone has written a note on the cache's log stating they "kinda adopted the cache". It's been missing for over 2 weeks and this person hasn't done any maintenance. Being the anti-procrastinator that I am, I wonder if I should wait a couple weeks longer or just go and replace the cache. I've tried contacting the new owner with no luck. What would you do?

Edited by jdpen74
important typo

HoustonControl    1,044

I'd wait a couple more weeks, but it's up to you.  If you want to replace it and they won't respond, feel free to do so.  But the bottom line is, pdmanson is NOT the new owner because it was never officially adopted to them.  Only teddielynn or a reviewer can make that happen.  If you WERE to contact a reviewer asking to adopt it, you would probably only succeed in getting it archived. 

• Like 1

jdpen74    18

I figured that could happen if I contacted the reviewer. That's too bad....teddielynn has been inactive for over 2 years and not likely to ever respond to my email but I will send another asking her if pdmanson can take over since they seem willing, though non-responsive to email as well. That being said, I just don't think it's in me to be as patient as others would be (patience reserved for my boys-  ha.....I have to conserve).  2 weeks after logging you intend to replace a cache and not doing so? Personally, I couldn't do that. Cache is on my watchlist- guess I will wait a couple more weeks unless another dnf is logged.

jdpen74    18

I suppose so, guess I'm just anxious this one will be archived when I live so close and have the time to keep track of it. Add point- It would be nice if you say you're gonna do something, then do it.

Edited by jdpen74
typo

Mudfrog    98
On 12/9/2015 at 0:36 PM, jdpen74 said:

I have another question regarding one cache in particular that is on both tuba_dude's list and mine. The code is GCF447. It's about 5 minutes from where we live so because of that and because of it's history, I want to preserve it. The orignal owner is no longer active and someone has written a note on the cache's log stating they "kinda adopted the cache". It's been missing for over 2 weeks and this person hasn't done any maintenance. Being the anti-procrastinator that I am, I wonder if I should wait a couple weeks longer or just go and replace the cache. I've tried contacting the new owner with no luck. What would you do?

I am on the side that a cache shouldn't be replaced unless you get permission from the original owner. In this case, at appears the original owner no longer caches and doesn't care. It looks like the hint on the cache page tells you right where it was supposed to be so i guess you could "prop" up the listing by replacing.

I realize the geocaching community can keep a cache going this way but imo, we shouldn't. Old or not, its owner doesn't care. It won't be the cache that the original owner placed some 12 years ago. It's ok to let listings like this be archived. If the area is nice, a new cache can be placed by someone who can maintain it properly.

• Like 4

jdpen74    18

Thanks for all the input here. I'm still debating on it. And, I'd never replace a cache w/o owner permission, except possibly this one for special reasons. I also thought about something else over the weekend- how much traffic will the cache get in a year's time? I placed one nearby (obeying the 528 rule) also. 

Mudfrog    98
6 hours ago, jdpen74 said:

GCF447 has been replaced by someone else. It was found the same day.

Kinda funny how that works. :-\

jdpen74    18
On Sunday, February 07, 2016 at 4:25 PM, SockPuppet said:

Here's some info on the Mega House.

http://swamplot.com/tag/southfork/

I think it is still for sale.

It is. You know, the cache page says something about Hakeem Olajuwon building those and I can see how some folks thought that to be true. The NBA player did aIn fact, buy property in Manvel, but off 1128. I would bet they will be torn down, but we'll see.

I was out today and found P+ DON'T FENCE ME IN .--13 years old! Also got a couple in Frankie Carter Park last weekend that are on the list.