cachestacker

6th Annual CLAPS MoonLESS Paddle Event 12/12/15

cachestacker    735

The Sixth Annual
CLAPS Nighttime Paddle Event
This Time With NO Moonlight!
Saturday, December 12, 2015
Launching from Bay Area Park promptly at 6:00 p.m.

http://coord.info/GC62A15

Time to get the yaks ready.  My recollection is that Pinky's does NOT rent at night.  But someone else in Seabrook did.  I think it was houstonrowing.com over by Seabrook Classic Café.

KeyResults    604

Ohhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhhhh! ALL IN! 

My favorite geocaching event of all in the whole universe!

The BFF Caching Buddies are coming with MORE WATTS, BIGGER WATTS, FASTER WATTS than ever before! We'll be seen from the International Space Station Baby!

Rumor has it that the BFF's will need so much juice they'll need a blood transfusion from Mark McGuire (I'm not going to explain that bad joke). Seriously, the BFFs will need so much power that they've hired a barge to tow the 10KW diesel generator (2katz will be pulling that one!)  And another barge to power the full size hot cocoa and Popcorn machines (courtesy of Silverado 16 IMAX Movie Theater (we know a guy))

In short, you guys better be picking up your kayak lighting game! Cuz you're gonna need SPF 30 and good Sunglasses to look at the BFF's Yaks!

WORD

The may be some slight exaggeration in some of the above text, but it's the thought that counts.  

• Like 1

GASTX    388

Bring JJ Watts and I will be seriously impressed. LOL at the McGuire reference (that is a LOT of juice)

• Like 1

green-eyed    175

is there anyone going with a tandem who has an extra seat?  powerdog02 wants to join in on the fun, but doesn't want to get lost in his own yak in the dark.  welding seal is debating on ground crew or on water, so he might use PD02's yak.

KeyResults    604

Becoming windy with thunderstorms likely. Potential for severe thunderstorms. Low 66F. Winds S at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 100%. 1 to 2 inches of rain expected.

Looking like it's gonna be windy ;) I hate paddling in the wind. Just sayin'

Is there a fallback plan that includes shelter and hot chocolate? :D 

• Like 1

cachestacker    735

Rich is in charge of hot chocolate.

See, this is the issue.  BBQBOB2 was always in charge of the weather.  :-[

Don't really care if it's raining, but if we get downpours beforehand (currents), lightninging, or high winds, nobody is going to want to paddle.  And it won't be safe to do so if it's like that.

As such, we'll be at the pavilion if it's bad for a smiley and hot chocolate for anyone wanting to come by.  We'll just have to see how it is.  This is not Baytown and I cannot promise you a microclimate like Bert can. 

Hopefully it will slow and all the bad stuff will come in well after the event.  ;)

Edited by cachestacker
  • Like 1

cachestacker    735

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Weather forecast is not looking good.  Winds of 17-22mph, severe thunderstorms, rain of 1-2", and dark of night all threaten.

At noon tomorrow we will check the weather forecast and our windows.  And shortly thereafter, in an effort to promote safety and avoid generally otherwise unpleasant (sucky) conditions, we will announce at  whether this event will continue (even if just in a parking-lot light-up) or not.

We hate to call this off, but it's just not practical with high winds and/or lightning.  We will keep you posted.

cachestacker    735

Event is being postponed.  Announcement made on the cache page.  We will try to come up with a new date soon.  

Soooo, for anyone who was planning to go I offer the following consolation prizes:

A) If you have put work into your kayak, you can log the event if you posted pictures of it lit up in your log.   KR - I expect to see the barge in one of the photos.

B.) If you do not have your yak lit, or don't have one, you can go to the park tonight and post a selfie at the boat launch.  Bonus points if you're in an Ugly Christmas Sweater.

Your choice to log.  But you have options.  Efforts and planning should not be dictated entirely by weather.  So have at it.  And don't forget the pics.  If you don't want to log a find we'd still love pics of your yak lit up on a note log!

2katz    174

:-[     So very sad, but I believe the right call.  

Looks like I'll place our new 'decor' in the yard prior to the rain hitting today. No photo's from me to keep our newest addition(s) a surprise for the makeup paddle.  All is not lost as KR may have a different idea/opinion!   

Baytown Bert    1,117

Well, according to Kevin I can shine a light on my Yak tonight and score a smiley!  "you can log the event if you posted pictures of it lit up in your log"  You know me!  I'm all about the bass!

KeyResults    604

Darn, I will go ahead and contact the media and let them know.

Also I'll call former President H W Bush's people and let them know he doesn't have to make the parachute jump tonight after all. 

Edited by KeyResults
Boo boo

KeyResults    604

69035f12-6bcb-4b2c-b7b7-de9d1996a63f_l.j

Above: KR's Karaoke "Santa's Songs of Xmas" barge. Towing this barge behind Kayak in > 6 mph is not recommended.

Below: 2k's Spectacular "Starry Night" barge. Note the Lasers aren't on in the photo at the request of a nearby airfield.

b69c8b81-b695-42d4-a9ea-a572cbf6cf61_l.j

We decided to withhold pics of the 2015 BFF yaks all dressed up, since life already has too few surprises as it is. Y'all just have to wait. ;)

Merry Christmas everybody!

• Like 1

jdpen74    18

I wondered how yall faired. Hubby made it to home base last night and I really wanted us to be there. Good call here, and WOW! AWESOME lights on those barges! (Are you kidding me? Now I feel like a lazy scrooge- my house has less!)

jdpen74    18

Oh...KR and I watched the annual Christmas boat parade in Port A. last weekend and honestly, they had nothing on those barges. Will keep an eye on the rescheduled event.

HoustonControl    1,044

It's been awfully windy, but there hasn't been any rain here on the east side as of 9PM and (to quote Bill Murray) it doesn't look like the heavy stuff will move in for quite a while.  Still, probably a good call to postpone...