Sign in to follow this  
TheNorman

Suggestions?

My wife (Tealcat) and I were in her hometown (Davis, California) recently, and there is a Mystery alphanumeric challenge.  Since there are LOTS of puzzles in Davis, I find myself trying to solve many of them.  I have solved some of them, but many just leave me saying "huh"?:idiot2:

For example, this one.  There are 15 Clint Eastwood movies listed.  In each case there is a blank that needs to be filled in to get the name of the movie.  I have identified all of the movies (which isn't difficult), but how to get from the name given to the number needed for the coordinates just stumps me.  The cache is called "Man with No Name".  The first movie is City Heat (where City was missing) and this needs to generate a 3.  The second movie is Million Dollar Baby (where Baby was missing) and this needs to generate an 8.

I've looked at release dates and length of the movie.  Nothing.  I've tried lots of things associate with letter counting (including consideration of the characters' names), and I haven't come up with something that gives me the right number in both cases.

Can any puzzle experts push me in the right direction?  If so, I would greatly appreciate it.

OK,

Fill in the names and do the normal translate and then look at the numbers. You will find your number 8 in a different position. :) I graduated from UC Davis. Ever been to Giant Burger?

Edited by SockPuppet

Hmmm.  I wasn't seeing it, and I was typing an answer to explain my dilemma when a light went off!  Thanks for pushing me in the right direction.:cheers:

My wife remembers going to Giant Hamburgers (she thinks it may have been Nation's Giant Hamburgers) as a kid and it was in the University mall.  She thinks it was gone by the time we got married and I don't remember ever seeing it.

Oops.  I spoke too soon.  I thought it was going to be the first digit of the first word given--so Heat gives a 3, Million gives an 8, The gives a 3, The again give a 3 (the dummy coordinates are 1.9 degree so that isn't necessarily a killer), but In gives a 2 and I'm supposed to subtract 4 from it.

The light that went off was for the second grouping--Escape From Alcatraz gave 51 for the first word, and the aha was not the first digit, but the last digit.  Then High gives 32, and I needed a 2…but Coogan's gives 74, and I needed a 1.

Back to the drawing board--and any suggestions will be much appreciated!

First letter of fill in the blank word convert to number. Item 14 is the 3 and 15 is the eight. Next number is item 1.

Edited by SockPuppet
  • Like 1

I finally figured out this one--the guy shifts the numbers which I wasn't expecting.

Now I am working on a different puzzle by a guy in Davis that puts out a LOT of puzzle caches.  This one is called arrivederci.  It starts with a text encryption which I decoded, and I now have names of 11 movies.  Based on a comment that for a title that has been made twice it is the most recent title that matters, I assume that the titles aren't the issue.  In Davis, the W coordinates are 8 digit, so one needs 15 digits for coordinates if you assume nothing.  Needless to say at this point I am stuck.

Any ideas to push me along?

I got a nudge from someone on a FB geocaching puzzle page noting that there is a common theme--they are all James Gandolfini movies.  The names of the movies, followed by the name of the character he played are:

Lonely Hearts, Det. Charles Hildebrandt; New World (actually the French film Le Nouveau monde), Will Caberra; Killing Them Softly, Mickey; Not Fade Away, Pat; Down The Shore, Bailey; A Civil Action, Al Love; She's So Lovely, Kiefer; All The King's Men, Tiny Duffy; 12 Angry Men, Juror No. 6; Italian Movie, Angelo; Night Falls on Manhattan, Joey Allegretto.

The original coordinates are N 38 33.111 W 121 44.111

If I use, for example the first letter of the character's first (or only name), I don't get the right number of digits, nor do they seem at all close.

I got an additional nudge and finally smacked my forehead when I realized that I misunderstood something earlier.  I finally got it sorted out.

I'm hoping eventually to be able to figure out ecrane puzzles without asking for guidance.