KeyResults

Garmin 64 series v4.00 Firmware Update Out

20 posts in this topic

Changes from version 3.90 to version 4.00:

• Improved 'Save Portion' track feature. When saving a portion, the device now remembers that position in the track log so it can be used as a track segment for future portion saving.
  • Fixed possible erroneous track point on power on.
  • Fixed formatting issue with certain map names in the map information list.
  • Fixed output of SNR in $GPGSV NMEA sentence.
    Changes from version 3.70 to version 3.90:
  • Improved map load times
  • Fixed possible shutdown when scrolling through the waypoints list
    Changes from version 3.40 to version 3.70:
  • Improved 3-axis compass performance
    Changes from version 3.20 to version 3.40:
  • Fixed shutdown on charging page when PAGE or QUIT buttons are pressed
  • Fixed possible shutdown in when reviewing a route in Russian
  • Fixed device not reconnecting to a tempe wireless temperature sensor across a power cycle
  • Fixed several track distance statistic issues
  • Fixed waypoint distances being listed incorrectly for Waypoint Averaging
    Changes from version 3.10 to version 3.20:
  • Improved cartography support (Garmin Hunt View maps)
  • Improved boot time when a large amount of BirdsEye satellite imagery is present
    Changes from version 3.00 to version 3.10:
  • Fixed issue with power off pressure trending (64s/64st models).
    Changes from version 2.90 to version 3.00:
  • Fixed issue with geocaching 'Next Stage' feature.
  • Fixed potential issue with geocache filters.
    Changes from version 2.80 to version 2.90:
  • Added support for Android version of Garmin Connect Mobile app (for LiveTrack).
  • Improved 3-axis compass performance.
  • Fixed missing 'AA Battery Type' option when not using the optional rechargeable battery pack in Setup > System. This only affected the standard (yellow) GPSMAP 64 model.
  • Fixed issue with barometer when auto calibration is turned off.
  • Fixed missing ascent, descent, and elevation statistics when reviewing certain tracks.
  • Fixed possible shutdown when using custom waypoint symbols.
  • Fixed possible shutdown when displaying the option menu in Czech.
    Changes from version 2.60 to version 2.80:
  • Fixed freeze when 'Geocaches' is present in the page sequence
    Changes from version 2.50 to version 2.60:
  • Fixed issue causing possible slow boot times
    Changes from version 2.40 to version 2.50:
  • Improved average ascent and average descent data fields
  • Improved vertical speed and grade data fields
  • Improved transfer speed between device and BaseCamp Mobile or Garmin Connect Mobile (64s/64st models)
  • Fixed potential issue when programming a chirp (64s/64st models)
  • Fixed potential shutdown when using smart notifications
  • Fixed displaying duplicate smart notifications in certain instances
    Changes from version 2.20 to version 2.40:
  • Added support for additional ActiveRouting cartography
  • Improved display of marine-specific lines in BlueChart g2 maps
1 person likes this

I've noticed (since the last firmware update, at least) that random caches loaded to my 64s wouldn't display on the map screen.  The caches would be in the database if I did a search by Find / Geocaches, but were invisible on the map.  Others that I cache with that also use the 64 series have the same issue.  There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to caches that wouldn't show up, but today I finally figured out what the common factor is.  It's any cache with the cache size listed as Unknown or Not Chosen.  I've posted a question to a Garmin rep about this and will see what they have to way.

I tried loading as both a GPX file and a GGZ file with the same result.  Anyone else notice this?

Edited by HoustonControl
typo
1 person likes this

Hmm I've never noticed it but I will keep and eye out for it.

I haven't noticed this behavior on my GPSMAP 64st either HC. I exclusively load GGZ from GSAK - usually my entire GSAK active DB. Problem is I haven't exactly been beating the pavement geocaching lately. I will make it a point to see if I too can recreate this behavior since unknown size caches are fairly common around here.

12 hours ago, HoustonControl said:

I've noticed (since the last firmware update, at least) that random caches loaded to my 64s wouldn't display on the map screen.  The caches would be in the database if I did a search by Find / Geocaches, but were invisible on the map.  Others that I cache with that also use the 64 series have the same issue.  There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to caches that wouldn't show up, but today I finally figured out what the common factor is.  It's any cache with the cache size listed as Unknown or Not Chosen.  I've posted a question to a Garmin rep about this and will see what they have to way.

I tried loading as both a GPX file and a GGZ file with the same result.  Anyone else notice this?

I've noticed this problem specifically with earthcaches, but after reading this, I'll keep an eye out for similar behavior with Unknown/Not Chosen types as well.

None of Bert's events in Baytown show up because he always chooses the "Not Chosen" size for events.  A lot of times I pick the next cache to find from the map and this really puts a kink in things.

1 person likes this

For events it chooses for you.  You don't have any filter on, do you?

3 hours ago, cachestacker said:

For events it chooses for you.  You don't have any filter on, do you?

No.  If I filtered out caches of certain sizes, they wouldn't show up at all.  These won't show on the map, but appear in the list if you search for nearby caches using the Find button.

Weird.  So today I plugged my 64 in and ran Garmin Express and it said my software was already up-to-date at version 4.20.  When I unplugged it and restarted it, it said it was verifying update and loading firmware.  Whaaaaa?  When it finally booted up, my problem caches still weren't showing on the map screen.  I played with the filter setting to have it show found caches (which had been turned off), and suddenly it was showing all caches again -- including events and "Unknown/Not Chosen" sizes.  I filtered out Found caches again and the problem caches were still showing.

I had gotten a reply from Garmin suggesting things like making sure my firmware was up-to-date, and/or doing a "master reset".  Typical...

When I select Event, it automatically nullifies any attempt to put in a cache size.  :(

I am unable to explain the difference in behavior between your 64 and mine using ver 4.00 firmware. I did verify that I was able to see everything as normal in map and list view, including events, multi's, and traditional with not chosen or unknown sizes where applicable.

The only thing I can offer up is that I load the unit using only ggz format, and only via export out of GSAK ver 8. Also, my profiles are completely stock, right out of the box (geocaching profile active selected). I have noted many problems in the past related to corrupt profiles, so as a matter of procedure I always archive a copy of the virgin ones right out of the box. 

FWIW: I have now upgraded to firmware ver 4.2 and the behavior continues to be correct.

I noted that ver 4.2 had some bluetooth updates. I keep hoping with each release that I'm gonna get to bluetooth sync with my smartphone. Wishful thinking?

I have noted some minor bugs. Most notable for me, right now, is the annoyance of hitting the page button while in compass screen, trying to get to map screen. It's rather random, but sometimes just refuses to toggle to the map. I generally will fiddle with the zoom then try again, or I'll switch to a different menu function then try. Eventually, it goes grudgingly;) Perhaps this minor irritation will be resolved now. I will say, that each release generally tightens things up rather nicely. My unit is virtually instant on now, after initial fresh load of 25K area geocaches.

I load almost exclusively as ggz files from GSAK using the GarminExport macro.  I've tried adding caches as individual GPX files, but get the same behavior.

I loaded Bert's new puzzle cache into my GPSr as an individual GPX file this morning.  The size was "unknown" (what's with that anyway?), and it wouldn't show on the map screen.  When I searched for it using the Find button, it showed up right away and displayed on the map while navigating to it.  After marking it as found (FTF!), I went back the main map screen and it wasn't there...and I do not have found caches filtered out; the others I have found on this GGZ load show as open treasure chests.  I went into the filter settings and filtered out found caches, then changed it back to show them and, lo and behold, Bert's new cache now showed as an open treasure chest.

It seems that I have to filter something out, then un-filter it after each load to get all the caches to show up.  Maybe it's the aftermarket maps I'm using?

Hmmmm. I am also using non-garmin maps, but perhaps the combo could have some effect on displayed overlays of caches.

One other thing I noted different between us, which may be nothing, but I ditched the Garmin Export Macro in lieu of direct export of GGZ right from GSAK for my phone, and also a direct SEND to GPS for the GPSMAP 64s(t) In file type just enter GGZ and it handles it perfectly. No macros,

Tried using both the aftermarket maps and the Garmin maps (bought them before I knew how good the aftermarket maps are) with no success and also tried direct send, dropping the .ggz file directly into the GGZ directory on the Garmin, and sending with the Garmin export macro. None of these methods allows the "unknown" caches to be displayed. Also, .ggz will not display child waypoints on my 64st although I can export the waypoints as a .gpx and load them separately and they will display. 

I think we're on to something here. Could we start using specific GC# geocaches so we can duplicate the scenarios for each other? 

At that point we will be able to get the Garmin System Engs to replicate too...and resolve em.

I tried disabling my OpenMapChest maps on the 64s and just going with the Basemap, then no map at all, with no change.  The Garmin rep asked me in the last email exchange if I tried uploading the geocache file to Garmin Basecamp, then downloading it to the 64s.  I don't even have Garmin Basecamp.

Here's one of the problem caches: http://coord.info/GC67N35

I've found that if I go to the filter screen and filter anything, then restore it, the problem caches reappear.  Turning the unit off, then back on, causes them to disappear again.

I guess I'll try doing a master reset and see if that helps things.

I'll mess with it as soon as I can this evening. 

BaseCamp has become a useful program, especially when interpreting and cleaning up tracks for publishing. Also good for building routes, and Adventures. It is also how I generally update my unit's firmware these days. However, I never use it to load or manipulate geocaches...that's GSAKs job for now;)

Well, I did the master reset and (after spending 30 minutes getting all my favorites, colors, menu sequences, etc. back the way I like them) all of my caches were still in the GPSr, but NONE of them would show on the map.  No amount of filtering would fix it, so I deleted everything.  I then reloaded the unit using the GPS / Sent Waypoints function in GSAK, rather than the GarminExport macro.  That seemed to have fixed it!  I powered the unit off and back on several times and all of the problem caches are still visible on the map!

I don't know how to export caches I own as POI's now (an option you can choose when using the GarminExport macro), but all my current ones are still in the GPSr so I won't have to worry with that right now.

You can export the caches to a gpx file using the gsak export function then use POILoader to create the POI (.gpi) file and then drop it in the POI directory on the unit.

7 hours ago, HoustonControl said:

Well, I did the master reset and (after spending 30 minutes getting all my favorites, colors, menu sequences, etc. back the way I like them) all of my caches were still in the GPSr, but NONE of them would show on the map.  No amount of filtering would fix it, so I deleted everything.  I then reloaded the unit using the GPS / Sent Waypoints function in GSAK, rather than the GarminExport macro.  That seemed to have fixed it!  I powered the unit off and back on several times and all of the problem caches are still visible on the map!

I don't know how to export caches I own as POI's now (an option you can choose when using the GarminExport macro), but all my current ones are still in the GPSr so I won't have to worry with that right now.

I use this option for loading and I've not had the problem of disappearing events. I tried it again today and everything worked just fine. I HAVE NOT done the firmware update yet. No time yet for this.

One other problem that Rich & Lola (and I think HC has too) have had that I haven't is the Share Wirelessly problem that sometimes the cache sent would show up and sometimes it wouldn't. It just seems that the Share Wirelessly is a little flaky at times.