Team 150%

GSAK Use

Team 150%    4

Guys,

I downloaded GSAK (latest version. 8.X) last night and pulled in my 10 pocket queries which of course has some duplicate caches.

My first question is does GSAK automatically delete the duplicate caches as you import the different queries? If not how do you tell it to do that? I can't find instructions online that are clear on this.

The second is do you have to tell GSAK to merge the 10 different queries or does it does it automatically export everything loaded as 1 .gpx file? If you have to physically tell it to merge them prior to exporting how do you tell it to do it?

Josh

ProMed Rick    40

GSAK will import each gpx file in whatever order you put them in, if a cache is duplicated , by default the newest import will overwrite the older copy in your database. if you want all 10 gpx files in one database, only create that one, or you can create separate databases, for whatever divisions you want (parts of town, cache type, home area/trip planning).

• Like 1

cachestacker    736

People have different databases for different purposes.  Anything in my home area goes into one database for me "Default".  That's home (Clear Lake), downtown, Baytown, Sugar Land, Galveston. All those get imported into one database.

If I'm traveling or heading to a weekend softball tournament with/for my daughter I'll create another for that area.  I'll put the PQ of the route in there and one or two (or more) 1000 cache PQs of the areas we will be and pull it all into one database.  Then I can simply export that entire database to my GPS.

For home ones, I have to narrow down the radius to get the number to one that will fit on my GPS with the other caches I have and keep on there for maintenance purposes, as it's over 5000.

If I won't be going back anytime soon I normally delete that database after they are logged.  The ones you found will show up in your My Finds.  Now, why you can't download that PQ the same way as the others.....

Team 150%    4

Rick and Cachestacker,

Thanks for the replies. What y'all said is what I suspected but I didn't want to go clearing my GPSs prior to understanding clearly what would pull out of GSAK.

Right now I run two GPS. I've got an Oregon 450 I keep loaded with everything in my "home" area and an Oregon 600 I use for "traveling" areas. This allows me to load them up and not mess with downloading for a while. Any updates to the caches, logs, hints, etc I check on my iPhone.

Josh

Baytown Bert    1,117

GSAK   2.6: Why are some cache names bold and others not?
A: If the cache name is bold in GSAK, it means that there are child waypoints associated with that cache. Examples are parking coordinates or coordinates for a trailhead.

Edited by Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert    1,117

GSAK    3.6: How do I identify and fix caches I have logged more than once or duplicate logged?
A: Tools > Options > Display tab. check the Found Count in the Standard Data Fields box. Click the OK button. Now you will have a column labeled Fcount. Sort that column and any caches with multiple logs will be grouped together.
Another way to identify these is to create a filter: Search > Filter, Other tab. Near the bottom is My Found Count. In the dropdown choose “Greater than or equal to” and in the box that appears to the right enter “2”. Apply that filter and you should only see caches where GSAK has 2 or more logs for you.

tuba_dude    82

Uuugh! The nag screens on GSAK are so annoying. I just need to go ahead and register it even though I don't really know how to use it. But I guess if I register I would be more willing to learn how to use it.

HoustonControl    1,046
4 hours ago, Baytown Bert said:

Exactly.  It's a one time thing.  Buy it once and never buy it again.

Well.... unless he comes out with a whole new upgrade.  Folks that paid the fee for version 7 had to pay again if they upgraded to version 8.

tuba_dude    82

OH NO! I signed on to gc.com today and saw that my membership had expired. Knowing I didn't have any money in the bank account, I remembered that I had some gift cards from my birthday back in September that I had forgot about. I then renewed my gc membership and registered GSAK. I'm back in business now.

• Like 1

tuba_dude    82

I have added the premium column to my finds database, but it is blank and I cant sort my finds by that column. If I search for a premium cache by name I can locate it. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

GASTX    388

Im not certain of this but you may have to download the gpx files from gc in gpx version 1.1 instead of 1.0. You can choose that on the gc website. 1.0 doesnt bring in the less used data that is available.

Sent from the Matrix

HoustonControl    1,046
18 hours ago, GASTX said:

Im not certain of this but you may have to download the gpx files from gc in gpx version 1.1 instead of 1.0. You can choose that on the gc website. 1.0 doesnt bring in the less used data that is available.

Sent from the Matrix

Where do you select the gpx version you want on the GC.com website?

Premium status, like favorite points, aren't included in the standard PQ download.  You need to refresh the cache data to pull that in.  Go to Geocaching.com access from the top menu bar in GSAK and choose Refresh cache data...

GASTX    388

In your profile select edit profile and down at the botton is a preferences section. It is in there.

Sent from the Matrix

HoustonControl    1,046
6 hours ago, GASTX said:

In your profile select edit profile and down at the botton is a preferences section. It is in there.

Sent from the Matrix

Oh.  The choices are 1.0 and 1.0.1.  Mine was already set to 1.0.1, but my PQ's still didn't pull in premium status.  I had "Refresh cache data" to get that info.

tuba_dude    82
8 hours ago, HoustonControl said:

Where do you select the gpx version you want on the GC.com website?

Premium status, like favorite points, aren't included in the standard PQ download.  You need to refresh the cache data to pull that in.  Go to Geocaching.com access from the top menu bar in GSAK and choose Refresh cache data...

HC I tried that but it didn't work. I got this error message.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Tuba_dude, you need to update GSAK. The current version is 8.5.1.58, and I think one of the maintenance releases includes an automatic reminder to renew your access token.

Menu Bar>Tools>Check for a newer version of GSAK

or simply select these options:

Clipboard01.jpg

tuba_dude    82

Oh cool. I just registered it so I didn't realize there was an update all ready. I'll check it when I get home 

GASTX    388

GSAK gets minor updates almost weekly (sometimes daily), most are tweaks to minor issues but if you set up GSAK as indicated above by TT you will always get the most current version

tuba_dude    82

Is there any way to add lab caches into a "My Finds" database? I was able to add the Texas Challenge lab caches to a Brenham database when they were active, but now I cant seem to figure out how I can add them now.