Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
green-eyed

cheap(ish) GPS for traveling

7 posts in this topic

I have a friend who just got into geocaching this summer and travels a lot for work.  he usually goes around the US, but got back Tuesday from a week and a half in Zurich.  As he unloaded mass quantities of TBs on me last night, he asked about what's a good GPS for traveling as he barely had signal with his iPhone in Zurich.  I showed him the Oregon 450 I use, and made a few suggestions, but since he's new to the game, he wants to find something inexpensive that will work wherever he goes.

The guy is an IT guru, so he doesn't need anything uncomplicated - he can learn quickly.

Any suggestions?  Having the ability to see descriptions and such like the Oregon has would work well for him if his phone has poor signal.

450s on ebay often go cheap.  Much cheaper than that and I'd think you end up with a pointer, cache name and GC number and that's it --- eTrex style.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

That's what I was thinking as well.  He's so new to it, descriptions and all are still needed, although he seemed to manage nicely with all the Swiss caches (along with the assistance of a geocaching coworker from Zurich).  He left today for Las Vegas and I pointed out the virtuals that he could claim easy enough, which he'd need a description for.  He was concerned about high muggles there.

I am told that one can find good deals at pawn shops.

Question.  Did he have problems with a data signal or GPS signal?  For iphone, he could get the GeoSphere app and preload a gazillion caches into it and use it to cache offline where there is no internet connection.  You won't get much in the way of a map, but all the caches, descriptions, logs and hints will be there.  I used it quite a bit in the UK last month when I was in poor/no service areas and to save from using up my data plan.

2 people like this

Question.  Did he have problems with a data signal or GPS signal?  For iphone, he could get the GeoSphere app and preload a gazillion caches into it and use it to cache offline where there is no internet connection.  You won't get much in the way of a map, but all the caches, descriptions, logs and hints will be there.  I used it quite a bit in the UK last month when I was in poor/no service areas and to save from using up my data plan.

i'll have to find out what the problem was for him - GPS or data signal.  I know he was posting pictures of his sight-seeing, but that may have been from the hotel or the office.  Geosphere may be the answer for him. 

oh shoot.  just looked it up before telling him.  he's a regular member and not premium, so he couldn't do a GPX anyways for the offline assistance.  maybe he'll want to go premium later.

i'll have to find out what the problem was for him - GPS or data signal.  I know he was posting pictures of his sight-seeing, but that may have been from the hotel or the office.  Geosphere may be the answer for him. 

oh shoot.  just looked it up before telling him.  he's a regular member and not premium, so he couldn't do a GPX anyways for the offline assistance.  maybe he'll want to go premium later.

With GeoSphere, you can search for caches in a specific area while you are connected via wifi or cell data, then save it to the app for later use offline.  It just uses the geocaching API, so I don't think you have to be a premium member to do it.  On our recent trip, I found us in areas I didn't know ahead of time that we were going to travel to, so I went to a coffee shop and used the wifi to download 100 nearby caches, then saved them to the app and went hunting.

1 person likes this