I'm looking at the Kayaks that Academy has on sale and was wondering which is better: sit in or sit on? Here are links to the ones that are on sale. Any help is appreciated. Shockingly, I was actually given permission to buy a kayak today.

http://www.academy.com/shop/Product_10151_10051_1543638_-1__

http://www.academy.com/shop/Product_10151_10051_220407_-1__

• Like 1

I think most of the geocachers that do kayaking have the sit on type.  If you have the sit in where you are enclosed, you need to be able to roll the kayak.  

For caching, sit-on-top is better. Although I have a sit inside with a fairly wide opening. And that does the trick.

Actually I prefer sit in type. I find it easier and more stable for standing up to get those GREAT caches that are a little higher up. :coolsmiley: And it always seems like I am the one standing up to get (or maintain) those caches.   :startled:  It is also easier to sit for longer periods of time without getting as stiff. Plus it seems I can hold a lot more crap that is needed for cache maintenance, snacks, CITO, etc. 

Looking at the pictures of recent CLAPS events most people have the sit in type. Pinky's only rents the sit on top. If at all possible you should try both before buying. Ask HC, he ended up selling his first one and buying a sit in yak.

I love my sit in for all the reasons Donna said, plus they are generally lighter and easier to move through the water.  Austin Canoe and Kayak does in the water demos twice a year.

I think most of the geocachers that do kayaking have the sit on type.  If you have the sit in where you are enclosed, you need to be able to roll the kayak.  

Most geocachers RENT sit-on kayaks because that's what the rental companies have.  They are cheaper in bulk and thinner, so more can be carried easily.  And with the sit-in ones being flatter, the are more forgiving / easier to stand on -- for fishing.

I would also venture to say that for 90% of the sit-in ones that you would be willing to buy at a reasonable cacher / novice paddler price point that you don't need to worry about rolling them.  Even on the tippiest of them it's not that easy to do (unless you are over-reaching for a cache, pulling on a branch to get that extra reach, and not paying attentinon).  You will quickly learn the limits.  But these are not whitewater sit-ins, which are entirely different, that are designed to be rolled.  So if you did roll, like MD, you simply get out of it and deal with it.

That said, I like my sit-in for all the reasons Donna mentioned, plus my legs don't get as sunburned!  Lots of room for maintenance kits, etc.  But the number one reason I like mine (beyond comfort, etc. which is a yak by yak think) is that it is a lot more efficient at cutting through the water.  The sit-on ones are a lot more flat and take a lot more effort to move through the water.  It's like comparing the aerodynamics of a Jeep to a Prius.

Each has yak has its place and people have their own preferences. 

• Like 1

I have a sit on top Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL tandem and it is very very stable.  If there two of you and stability is your primary concern, consider this model.  I stood up on it one time also. 

However, it is a handful for one person.

So far most people are recommending the sit in yak more and that is the one I like more anyway. I am reading reviews on the academy website and it is also saying it is very kid friendly and the kids are able to paddle it with no problems. So oars? The page doesn't mention that this comes with oars so I'm assuming I would have to buy them separately. Are oars just oars, or is there a better type of oar? Does length matter?

Also keep in mind that if you end up a yak you don't love you can always sell it and get something else.

Edited by CANINE QUEEN

Academy has a nice selection of them.  The length depends upon how wide your boat is.  I wish my paddle was about 3" longer.  

The ones with the curved blades I find to be the best. And the one for the best bang for the buck is $29 at Academy.  Longer, curved blades, and foam grips.  A nice paddle that has gotten a LOT of use out of it.  Not the lightest.  Not the heaviest.  But best bang for the buck for sure.

I've had both and found the sit-on to be "tippier" than the sit-in I now have.  It seems to me that the center of gravity is lower in the sit-in type.  I've never flipped either one, so I can't comment on how hard it might be to recover from that.  (ask Mustard Devil or Georeyna :angel:).  Aside from the reasons mentioned about being able to take more crap with you, I switched to the sit-in Ascend for one main reason... the seat.  It has a comfy webbed stadium seat whereas the sit-on Pescador 12 from Academy had a molded-in seat with a thin layer of padding that left my butt numb after 30 minutes of paddling.  I feel like I can paddle the Ascend all day (without my "ascend" being sore... ifyouknowwhatimean)

These are both in the $500-600 range, though, (paddles and PFD, extra).  They were both 12' long (ask TexasWriter), but the sit-in probably weighs 20 lbs more than the sit-on I first had.  YMMV!

• Like 2

I decided what I kind I wanted then watched Craig's list and got a heck of a deal on a yak, two sets of paddles and a PFD from a guy that was moving into an apartment.

If at all possible try one out before you by to figure out what you do and don't like about a kayak.  We tried out Cachestacker's before we bought ours and realized that what he had was too short for Stan to stretch out his legs, so when we bought ours we sat in a few in the store and decided which one would work for him.   My legs are short enough that probably just about any would work for me, so I wasn't the issue.  We purchased good seats with good back support.  We also got good advice on picking out a paddle at the store.  I also got a very comfortable PFD that had no price on it and it was the last one, so they sold it to me for $8, which was a steal for the type that I have.  

• Like 1

I suggest renting (there are a number of kayak rental facilities around town) a sit in and a sit on top, then determine which one YOU like better.   For me, it's a sit on top.

• Like 1

There are numerous SOT yaks that are famous for stability and standing up on. SOTs are superior for fishing in for many reasons and that's why I prefer them. They have lots of storage capacity and weight capacities over 500 lbs. they are very well suited for scuba even, and make offshore paddling through breakers a breeze.

There are even pedal power yaks!

I agree about trying different boats and testing for yourself. All day fishing in open water will be my chief driver, caching is my second. Many designs fill the bill. I agree ant watching the boards like CL or TExas Kayak Fisherman for used boats. They come pre rigged and many times have rudders, a must in open water exposed to wind!

• Like 1

Thanks for the help everyone. I decided not to buy a kayak and wait until I am more familiar with them. My mom is about to have foot surgery and will not be able to do much this summer so she said I can borrow hers for a while. I will try to test out  both kinds of yaks before I buy one.

• Like 1

Seize opportunities at events to take out someone else's yak.  Not for a huge paddle, but just to paddle around a bit and see how it feels. How it handles.  How easily it moves through the water.  How tippy (or not) it is.  And what features you wish it had (cup holder, seat, paddle rest, and endless others).  

I feel this summer we need to have a kayak testing event of some kind and try to get everyone who has a yak to bring theirs to let people demo them in the water.  Hopefully we'd get several different types and manufacturers of yaks and anyone interested could come experiment a little with a quick spin in them.

Edited by cachestacker
  • Like 2

I like that idea CacheStacker! Choose the date and host it.

I will be happy to once I have all the data I need to do it.  For me, this involves a summer schedule for swim team and softball, neither of which I have yet. 

The event would likely be in July or early August, as it will likely be mid to late June before I know what I'm up against with time commitments for those other items.

But don't wait on me.  Especially if I pick a day you can't be there!  Host it, and they will come.  Publicize it here.  I think quite a few would benefit!

Now - pondering timings -- I wonder if we need to have it done as an event, allow people to go do HC's water-based WIG (T5) (which has over 25 favorite points), and follow it up with a land-based CITO event at the park.

Newbies trying out kayaks that have not been on the water would score big time!

• June 19 – Sept 2Find a geocache with 10 or more Favorite Points
  • July 3 – Sept 2Attend an Event, Mega-Event or Giga-Event
  • July 17 – Sept 2Find a T5 or D5 geocache
  • July 31 – Sept 2Find an EarthCache or attend a CITO
  • August 14 – Sept 2Find a Mystery Cache
  • Like 2

I think waiting til July is a great time. That gives enough time for people to plan out their schedules, make arrangements to attend this gathering/event, do research, and to save up money to purchase a decent kayak. It is also perfect for grabbing those harder to get souvenirs.