Sign in to follow this  
Baytown Bert

Baytown Geotour info here

HoustonControl and I are meeting with the Baytown tourism director to start to plot out exactly how the Baytown Geotour will work.  The money has been approved BTW.  As with any geotour, the amount of money you spend doing it is very important to document.  When you turn in your passport, make sure you document the bucks spent.  Zipping into geotour country and zipping out will kill the program.  Baytown's geotour will be funded by a hotel/motel tax.  I think any city hosting a geotour through GC.com pays $3000 per year to be listed.  Now of course, none of us locals will probably spend the night here, but we'll buy gas and burgers for sure.

• Like 5

im going to check out the parking lot at the La Quinta I work at to see if I can squeeze in a cache.

• Like 1

It interesting to hear something on the business side of it. The $3k to list the Geo Tour seems kind of pricey for what is actually provided. Capturing the benefits would probably miss a lot from people that come to do some or part of the tour and not turn in the passport. I'm working on the Brenham one and not planning on turning in a passport.

The collectable coin is very similar to the military challenge coins. I have bags of those that I don't know what to do with, other than collect dust. I don't need any more "stuff'. Just not interested in the coin, but doing the Geo Tour is an enjoyable accomplishment in and of itself. Pathtags from people are pretty cool though, and it's nice to run across them.

I just wanted to make the point that there will be some people who come to the tour that don't get the coins for whatever reason.

Edited by LordJeff

They use the passports to try to gauge how much economic activity the geotour generates.  I'm sure they realize that a percentage of people won't complete or turn in their passports and can adjust their numbers accordingly.  I believe it was reported at the meeting that the Brenham/Washington County folks had figured geocachers had spent ~$18,000 in the area so far doing the tour, which is considered a big success when compared to the dollars invested creating the geotour.

• Like 1

The collectable coin is very similar to the military challenge coins. I have bags of those that I don't know what to do with, other than collect dust. I don't need any more "stuff'. Just not interested in the coin, but doing the Geo Tour is an enjoyable accomplishment in and of itself. Pathtags from people are pretty cool though, and it's nice to run across them.

I just wanted to make the point that there will be some people who come to the tour that don't get the coins for whatever reason.

Jeff, attach a TB to your coins, write up a mission for them and drop them in a cache.  Use them to provide support for Veterans.

• Like 2

Gigantic logistics to this.  They are going to meet with Jenny Mills in Brenham soon and work up the passport and points system.  HC and I are going to look at the GZ locations and work up about 30-40 Earthcaches and after contacting TheBasty, maybe have him come up with about 25 puzzle caches.  LOL

Jeff, attach a TB to your coins, write up a mission for them and drop them in a cache.  Use them to provide support for Veterans.

Exactly.  You could always release it so others can enjoy and it may encourage them to come do it, too.

I'm not sure if the Brenham Geotour has an unlimited amount of coins.  The passport mentions something about coins for the first 250 finishers.  With that in mind, LordJeff could just not collect his coin he has no interest in and leave if for someone else who really wants one.

That's a great idea! I'll look into doing that. Thanks.

HC - I talked to the Brenham visitor center lady (don't remember her name - not the one who did the tour) for a while. She said they are past the 250 they originally bought, that they have gotten new shipments. 

• Like 2

The Baytown Geotour is NOT dead.  It has been delayed, but should start picking up steam very soon.

• Like 2

I talked to the Tourism director today.  It has been bogged down in legal of all things.  She is determined to make a go of it and I told her to start gathering containers.  I told her I could donate as many Berty tubes as she needs and she will get the rite as rain paper.  We will need a few lock boxes at places like Pirate's Bay, etc, to insure muggles won't run off with the containers.   It's still a go.

I am meeting with the City of Baytown 3-16-16 to run a punch list of the caches.  There will be some combination padlocks in high muggle areas so we can have a safe container.

• Like 1

Looks like the Baytown Geotour has begun (3-11-17). It rained the first day but there were a small group of FTF hounds out. We cached sunday and monday. Had a great time and enjoyed getting to know Baytown. Wonderful job putting this together.

• Like 1

Awesome news! Glad we get one much closer to home. Thanks for the heads-up. Can't wait to make a go of it. Sounds like it's no slouch.

• Like 1

I got to #18 last Saturday just after crossing the big bridge at 12 p.m to meet up with a couple girls there. We found all the caches for the tour plus a few more and didn't finish til 8 at night. That's 8 hours of driving around Baytown that included only one pitstop for fuel. Afterwards, we were finally allowed (ha) to have food at a place called King's BBQ before heading home. It was very good and the pricing was very good. Couldn't find a place that allows pets so I just parked right in front of the floor-to-ceiling windows so Frasier could see us. We went past Four Corners BBQ on our route but they were closed by the time we got there. The girls who put on the tour said they would look into providing info for restaurants and accomodations for those of you who bring pets along. 

It was a fun and tiring day. And, now I have a whole map of waypoints for great locations in Baytown. There were a lot of nice cache containers so I can't pick a favorite, though it was fun to see the folks at #17 and get a thumbs up! Just got the coin today, plus the city sent us a combo flashlight/light up pen also. Not sure which one I like more! 

• Like 1

Got the mail today and my coin and other prize-level swag was in the mail from Saturday.  I turned in my passport on Sunday by e-mail and got a nice acknowledgment back Monday morning saying the coin and swag would go out that week.  They are on top of it!

Loved the geotour.  Took me to a bunch of places I have been to before, but also a bunch of places I've never been to or seen.  There are some fun ones, some good containers, and one or two that were pretty challenging. It was a nice mixture all the way around.

We ended up going to the Pipeline Grill.  Never been there and thoroughly enjoyed it.  

• Like 2

I'm gonna finish my passport and turn it in with about $100,000.00 worth of restaurant and gas recipes attached! 

• Like 1

The girls working for Baytown and the geotour are really doing a great job of responding to online logs and checking up on the caches. Also, thanks to HoustonControl and BaytownBert for getting things going over there. Hope yall do as well or better than Brenham! It's almost been 3 weeks and looks to be headed in that direction.

• Like 1