Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RRM10

New Search feature on gc.com

38 posts in this topic

Am I the only one that thinks the new search feature totally sucks????

Maybe I haven't spent enough time with it, but so far I really hate it... 

It sucks.  Is there a way to go back to the old search function?  As it is with the new one, I'll no longer be able to do my Longest Since Last find the way I have been, since it only allows for a max of 30 miles on the search radius.

It is going to make some a few puzzle caches next to impossible as well HC, glad I have solved the ones that I know are affected and saved the coordinates...

I'm hoping someone can figure out how to access the old search feature.

Yes Bert.

Click on the magnifying glass then click the "New Search" link and it comes up with that new piece of crap search feature.

I suspect that groundspeak will try and claim that the features are still there in the filters provided, but some things are missing, such as searching for caches that a particular geocacher has found.

So, I agree that it totally sucks.

I opened it in Firefox and IE and it looks the

same to me and brings in the same results.

For me (a Mac user), on Firefox and on Safari (I don't use IE), the format is new when you access "Find a cache" under "Play".

YES!  That is new to me as well.  I saw that today, but the conventional box is the same (for me).

The splash page hasn't changed yet.  However, we have lost search capability.

If you look at a cache page and click the link that says "Find... ...all nearby caches...", you get the old search results.  You can tweak the coordinates in the url to search from wherever you want.  This will probably work for my Longest Since Last Find query.

2 people like this

:tickedoff:

They are slowly taking away so good features in an effort to reduce their costs of business.

I'd better renew my membership quickly before the price goes up on that, too!

Project-gc.com is back.... but they promise to post an update in the news area, so I think there maybe more changes.  I wish groundspeak would do an IPO... then we could do a hostile take over when the pull crap like this.

2 people like this

I noticed Project-gc had updated stats, but still can't access the site to use challenge checkers or anything, just get a page that has "error" on it.

I noticed Project-gc had updated stats, but still can't access the site to use challenge checkers or anything, just get a page that has "error" on it.

I take that back, it is working if I use IE but not Chrome...

Its working on my Chrome, but I had to re-authenticate my GC.com account.  IE may still have a cookie for you.

Its working on my Chrome, but I had to re-authenticate my GC.com account.  IE may still have a cookie for you.

I did the "authenticate" on Chrome and thats when I got the blank page with "error" on it. Did the same thing on IE and it worked... 

Any tips on how I can get it back operational on Chrome?

is it the sql-cant-login or some such error message we got all weekend or something new?

I would at least close all chrome sessions and begin again.

Anyone know how to search for a cache by name using this new #%*&$@ search function?  Previously, you could type keywords into the "Search by name" box, but that seems to have gone the way of the dodo bird.  I was trying to look up "Slavonic Dances" today (I figured there weren't too many caches in the world with that name) and couldn't figure how to do it.  I even remembered the cache owner's name, but he had adopted all his caches to someone else.  I eventually had to search for it in my "My finds" database in GSAK to get the link to the cache page.  Sheeeesh!

Nevermind.  I found that there is a filter for "Geocache name contains..."

I'm frustrated by the new search in geocaching.com.   I had the old one figured out.  It might have had flaws, but this one is horrible.

Gotta add that I DO like the new 'message' center they've added to the site!

Just got back from a trip to Yellowstone (and more) and getting all those Earthcache answers sent & logged has become a bunch easier!!!

Also liked the search caches along a route feature, worked a treat for the trip we took (3200 miles through 8 states) especially in those areas without cell-phone/4G/3G/LTE reception (and there seem to be a lot of those in the NP's  :coolsmiley: ).

Will try and post some pics later.

Gotta add that I DO like the new 'message' center they've added to the site!

Just got back from a trip to Yellowstone (and more) and getting all those Earthcache answers sent & logged has become a bunch easier!!!

Also liked the search caches along a route feature, worked a treat for the trip we took (3200 miles through 8 states) especially in those areas without cell-phone/4G/3G/LTE reception (and there seem to be a lot of those in the NP's  :coolsmiley: ).

Will try and post some pics later.

We took a trip to the various national parks in Utah, and my experience with the messages was that I never got a response from the CO's, but I did for email.

I've been getting them when they message (I get an e-mail that says they messaged).  I reply, but thinking about that I am not sure if it replies to them (i.e., maybe reply to noreply@gc.com) or not.  When you e-mail you have to check the box that says send your e-mail.  Man.  Maybe my replies are going to a black hole!

Man.  Maybe my replies are going to a black hole!

Yep