amberita13

Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo™ Geocaching Adventure

23 posts in this topic

I think I overheard CornDoll mentioning something about this at the 3G event on Thursday...and since this is my first time to wind down with my laptop all weekend...I confirmed it! 

I wasn't planning to go to rodeo this year, but it looks like I'll have to make an exception...

Click here to learn more about it.

Looks like I'll have to change my plans too....

I wonder what all is considered the fairgrounds.  Would it just be the carnival area or the area where they have the food too?  

I wonder what all is considered the fairgrounds.  Would it just be the carnival area or the area where they have the food too?  

I suspect both and prossibly in the NRG Center and the Horse Arena, too. If you haven't been to the Rodeo in a while, be aware parking is a NIGHTMARE unless you go very early.  If you come at peak times, your best bet is to park in the museum district and take the light rail.  It stops just outside of the gate between the Center and the carnival.

If you complete the tour, be prepared to get emails from Germany asking for the codes.  Just sayin'... :knuppel2:

5 people like this

OooOoooo!

I see CanineQueen out-FTF'd the power couple :o

1 person likes this

OooOoooo!

I see CanineQueen out-FTF'd the power couple :o

Only because I had committee duties this morning! I'm pretty sure bored committee people are going to enjoy these the most! Thanks, Jamie!

these are inside the event or on the outside?

On the grounds but not inside any buildings.

Doesn't this violate the geocaching rules of having to pay to find a cache?

Edited by SockPuppet
1 person likes this

Doesn't this violate the geocaching rules of having to pay to find a cache?

Then so would a cache in a state/national park.

I don't think there are any rules against a cache being somewhere that you have to pay to enter. In fact, there is an attribute for that on regular (not Lab) caches.

Edited by ~windknot~

You have to pay to find all my caches in the Baytown Nature Center. 

I may be wrong, but you can go to the GoTexan Store at NRG for free.  Enter the Westridge Gate and turn left into the Go Texan parking lot.  I have a multi-cache that starts outside the stadium and that's how I tell people to go get WP #1 -- and how I went there when I set it up.  That policy may change for the rodeo -- YMMV.

Edited by HoustonControl

There's nothing that says you can't place it where there is a fee.  There is an attribute to note a parking or admission fee.  It's discouraged and the reviewers won't allow anything 'excessive' (arbitrary).  And it's even in the knowledge books as it pertains to camping events.  They're more concerned with people trying to exclude non-campers from making a find than they are about the campground fees.

Don't forget to download the GPX for GSAK if you want the stats to match.

Every Wednesday is free at the rodeo for people 60 and over. I parked in the Museum district and took the train. Only the LED cache is a little tricky given the location being so close to the gate. I entered in all the code and then you clock on the link to get the coin by inputting your name, address, phone number, and email address.  Next Wednesday is free too. I finished 48 of 50.

I hit the Ford exhibit pretty hard and got two F-150 hats, a light up wristband, a Ford black T-shirt and a $10 Starbucks card.

Edited by SockPuppet

I was 50 out of 55.

It means you're the #th person to finish all five out all people working on it. Some people might not finish in one day (maybe to get a COTD?) or just do/get one (maybe they're German, who knows....)

Oh! Thanks for clarification; I was hoping it wasn't a countdown on available coins...

My coin arrived in the mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SockPuppet