Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ggmorton

Bogus TB Discovery Logs

33 posts in this topic

Beware of armchair trackable logging from the Czech Republic.

Several of my Travel bugs that have never left my house (but are activated) were discovered over the past few days. The cacher must have figured out the TB code scheme or hacked the site to find out the codes.

Or was watching you sleep last night, while checking out your trackables.

1 person likes this

This raises a question.

I like finding travel bugs in caches and I like to move them along and leave them in caches.  I typically don't "discover" TBs other than the social interaction--someone's car, someone's shirt, someone's tattoo...

So my question is, is there some aspect of the game that I am missing--like challenge caches where you must have discovered X TBs in order to log the cache?

Was there any peanut butter missing from your cupboard? That may indicate whether they broke into your house and actually DID discover your TB and then faithfully log the activity, or that they broke the ROT13 level encryption they use for encoding TB numbers from some country that just discovered electricity last week.

This raises a question.

I like finding travel bugs in caches and I like to move them along and leave them in caches.  I typically don't "discover" TBs other than the social interaction--someone's car, someone's shirt, someone's tattoo...

So my question is, is there some aspect of the game that I am missing--like challenge caches where you must have discovered X TBs in order to log the cache?

There are challenges for this.

Here is an example:   http://coord.info/GC4PJQ2.  I just picked it because I'm going to be over that way.  There are also ones that are part of other 'well rounded cacher' type challenges that you have to have discovered or moved X many.  X is all over the board on these challenges. 

Several of my Travel bugs that have never left my house (but are activated) were discovered over the past few days. The cacher must have figured out the TB code scheme or hacked the site to find out the codes.

GGM, what is the guys handle?

GGM, what is the guys handle?

adremi

ranger_jurchik

1 person likes this

This raises a question.

There are challenges for this.

Here is an example:   http://coord.info/GC4PJQ2.  I just picked it because I'm going to be over that way.  There are also ones that are part of other 'well rounded cacher' type challenges that you have to have discovered or moved X many.  X is all over the board on these challenges. 

Thanks. :cheers:   I thought there might be, but in my travels I had not encountered any.

If you've ever shown the trackable or shared the trackable number at an event, the list of numbers sometimes "go viral" and get shared by other cachers on the interwebs.  A lot of my coins and bugs have been getting logs recently that goes something like, "Just getting caught up on my trackable discoveries.  I either saw this travel bug at a recent event, on the internet, or saw it in a cache.  Thanks for sharing". 

I try not to lose too much sleep over whether they actually saw it or not.

2 people like this

I'd probably feel differently from HC if it was ink on me and I had the tattoo icon for it.  Since I have none of that, however, I feel just like he does.  Not my game to discover stuff I haven't seen, but to each their own.

People set goals for themselves like logging 100,000 trackables and it causes them to do stupid stuff.  :uglystupid2:   :angel: 

People set goals for themselves like logging 100,000 trackables and it causes them to do stupid stuff.  :uglystupid2:   :angel:

Oh, You mean like getting 2000+ FTF's? :angel:

(no offense Brian)

Someone discovered my bug that's stuck to Snoogan's Fridge door the other day.... eight times. I deleted seven of them.

That's like all the pics I have taken at the last two texas challenges bet yet to log. By now I figure what's the point they will think I just found a list. But what is real funny is when a tracable that has only left my house once gets looked every couple months a while back by the same cacher in our area. I just laugh every time I see her in person.

I've got hundreds of unlogged trackable pictures and a drawer full of lists and scraps of paper with trackable numbers I haen't logged.   When / if I ever get to it, I think it will be well over 1000 and many will suspect I am an arm chair logger... but I am not.

That reminds me.  I need to log some trackables from the UFO event two weeks ago that I have in my phone.

Oh, You mean like getting 2000+ FTF's? :angel:

(no offense Brian)

No, I'm talking about those geocaching lust-crazed Europeans.

2 people like this

I have a watch on a travel bug that is owned by my sister.  She cached for few months back in 2006 and the bug went missing in 2007 (picked up by a newbie that never cached again -- imagine that).  Anyway, the trackable was discovered twice in recent days by Czech cachers, one of whom said he saw it on the internet.  There is one picture from 2007 that a finder took of the tag with the number side displayed, but, even zooming in, I don't see how anyone made out the digits.

I have a watch on a travel bug that is owned by my sister.  She cached for few months back in 2006 and the bug went missing in 2007 (picked up by a newbie that never cached again -- imagine that).  Anyway, the trackable was discovered twice in recent days by Czech cachers, one of whom said he saw it on the internet.  There is one picture from 2007 that a finder took of the tag with the number side displayed, but, even zooming in, I don't see how anyone made out the digits.

Yep, those are the 2 that discovered all of the travel bugs that I have. Most have been missing for several years, and 1 has never left my house.

None of mine were logged by these fellas, but I have about 20 out there that newbies swear they will move immediately and it goes back about 5 years.

You can just put in random 6 digit numbers into the trackable search box and bring up a travel bug about 50% of the time.  I guess if the CO doesn't care, there's nothing to really stop someone from discovering them like that.

i was looking at my TBs that I released and found several that got picked up by geocachers that had found less than 10 caches and quit, so those TBs are most likely history. 

ecorangers of GA are armchair TB logging this week.  I got hits dated March 31, 2014 for geocoinfest for some of mine... he didn't attend geocoinfest 2014 in Houston, so he's got a list.  i'd really like to have my tattoo and items off the circulating lists.  any ideas how?

ecorangers of GA are armchair TB logging this week.  I got hits dated March 31, 2014 for geocoinfest for some of mine... he didn't attend geocoinfest 2014 in Houston, so he's got a list.  i'd really like to have my tattoo and items off the circulating lists.  any ideas how?

Start by telling P+?

Edited by cachestacker
3 people like this

Start by telling P+?

Yup, got a few notifications of them logging my TB's too. Thought about deleting them very briefly but decided not too care to much.

I understand your point of view on the tattoo tough, Jen.