Team Four Paw

Team Captain for Texas Challenge 2015 - just a few months away!

TheNorman    132

Lubbock voted to go damp in 2009.  According to an internet search, there are bars in Lubbock.   :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

heftydude    132

Last I checked, Lubbock was in a dry county.....   :disappoint:

It is quite possible that the first and only meeting will be in Lubbock the night before the challenge.... at a beer hall or course!

What???!??  Those still exist?

I do a fair amount of work in the Dallas Area and this still amazes me.  I was on their GIS database the other day and I bet it's the only only GIS database with a filter for "Alcohol Layers".

Hey SETX!

Challenge is one month away… and I can tell you that this year it is going to be really laid back.  Due to the location, the teams are the smallest that we have seen in years.  

The SETX strategy will be to have FUN.  We will NOT be going to go into "Ultimate Fighting” mode; however, we will attempt just enough organization to make the challenge FUN.  Mainly we need someone to take charge of loading the coords into everyone’s GPS… and at this time that means 11 team members.  We will also want to be able to communicate with each other.  

I have yet to receive the rules so I do not know if this years challenge will be strictly urban (and therefore have adequate cell tower coverage) or if the caches will be out on the edge of town in a park or nature area.  That is the kind of stuff we will discuss at an EVENT scheduled in Sugar Land for Thursday evening, March 5 at 7pm.  Informal, we are not even making reservations but will pull a couple of tables together at the Flying Saucer.

FYI, even if you are not “participating” or even attending the Challenge, you are welcome at this event… so spread the word that everyone can get a smiley face along with their favorite ale.

Gary Foster

Texas Dreamweaver

txdrmwvr@gmail.com

• Like 1

KeyResults    604

In assessing an optimal way of distributing GPX file(s) from a single USB Memory stick, or thumb drive, it will be essential to know how many devices, what make and model, and if they require a special cable to connect to PC.

Smartphones and tablets prove very useful in urban environments for sat views, problem solving, lookups, road directions, etc., and for many the phone is all that is needed. Because data connectivity is expected to be excellent, GPX files can and should be distributed via email and/or shared cloud drive such as Google drive, Dropbox, Onedrive, etc. for greatest efficiency and speed.Team members need to be honest about their ability to comfortably load GPX files (Pocket Queries, or PQ's) without supervision, however. This isn't the time to admit you don't know how to...

Hopefully, the Sugarland meeting can get a better and more accurate count on devices, and phone apps along with full contact info. I'll try to come, but it's dicey for me. I feel like we'll have way more than 11 hunters by game time ;)

2katz    174

BTW - with such a small hunt team, if you really want to attempt to get everyone together for a meeting, you may want to change it to a weekend, instead of during the week. Especially since we all live so far from each other.

BTW - with such a small hunt team, if you really want to attempt to get everyone together for a meeting, you may want to change it to a weekend, instead of during the week. Especially since we all live so far from each other.

Obviously an excellent idea, however next weekend is my wedding anniversary so that was a no go for me.  After the drinking "planning" event in Sugar Land on Thursday evening, I will send everyone info on where we might be able to get together in Lubbock on Friday evening.  In the meantime, if you have registered to compete, expect an email from me later today.

• Like 1

Baytown Bert    1,117

Texas Geocaching Association has posted a new announcement for 13th Annual TXGA Texas Challenge (GC4YE34):

Log:
We are now less than two weeks from the event! Today is the final day to register, if you intend to compete for one of the teams at challenge you must be registered by midnight tonight (Central)

http://www.texasgeocaching.com/events

Some quick info on the Lab Caches. There will be quite a few of them, no more than 10. They will all be within' Lubbock County and most likely in the City limits and will be active from Thursday in the AM to Monday in the AM.

If you have any questions about your registration or any other items for the event please email sknight579@texasgeocaching.com

We look forward to seeing you in just two short weeks!

Nov64    55

Obviously an excellent idea, however next weekend is my wedding anniversary so that was a no go for me.  After the drinking "planning" event in Sugar Land on Thursday evening, I will send everyone info on where we might be able to get together in Lubbock on Friday evening.  In the meantime, if you have registered to compete, expect an email from me later today.

Since this year will be a "fun" I will be hunting 

I won't be able to attend to the  drinking "planning" event in Sugar Land on Thursday (I'm bummed as I like that place :cheers: )

TravelingGeek    140

Bump for Thursday:  http://coord.info/GC5M8M1

Thursday is Tap Night.  A little birdie told me they are tapping 3 rare beers instead of just one this week.   :peace:

Although I don't want to distract from the primary planning... maybe a side conversation about next year would be in order.  Its never to early to start planning!

ATTENTION ALL SETX / HGCS PUZZLE MASTERS:

On Saturday Morning, March 14, the Texas Challenge starting gun will go off at 9:30 am.  For everyone who is not driving up to Lubbock, there is still a way that you can help the team.

We need folks sitting at home by their computers to solve the puzzles that we will be handed.  Everyone is encouraged to lend us a hand.  If you are a really good puzzle solver, you could be out of the house caching in Houston by 10:30am!  

Contact the Team Captain (Texas Dreamweaver) at txdrmwvr@gmail.com NOW to volunteer.   Before the Texas Challenge Weekend, I will coordinate with you so that we can email you the puzzles at about 9:45 am on Saturday morning, March 14.  The more puzzlers that vollunteer the faster the puzzles will be solved and more time allowed for those of us in Lubbock to find them.   Thanks!

*** Only geocachers who can read are eligible.  Members of the homo neanderthalensis or homo sapiens neanderthalensis species are ineligible to participate under penalty of federal regulations.  At no time was intelligence used in the composing of this announcement.  

• Like 1

Baytown Bert    1,117

*** Only geocachers who can read are eligible. Members of the homo neanderthalensis or homo sapiens neanderthalensis species are ineligible to participate under penalty of federal regulations. At no time was intelligence used in the composing of this announcement.

I object!  I think!

RRM10    98

We're getting ready to hit the road to the Bandera / Kerrville / Fredericksburg area for the next 10 days and wanted to wish the entire SETX Team "Good Luck" at the Challenge next weekend! We'll read the stories when we get back home! 

• Like 3