Team Four Paw

Team Captain for Texas Challenge 2015 - just a few months away!

65 posts in this topic

As of Jan 12th, here are those that have posted a "will attend" log:

(Disclaimer:  I may not have recognized some of the SETX names.)

Team Cull

ParkerPlus

OHail

Woodpicker & Skipbo

Huff-Suter

2katz + her BFF

Team Red J

mztrob

gsguru

stirfrie2005

rambetta

no muggle

Bubberdad

HoustonControl

GSIs

DangerKitties

Taz427

BaytownBert

Texas Dreamweaver

Nov64

Tealcat and I plan to be there.

1 person likes this

I just posted "will attend" for myself and + The Driver.

Also on the list from SETX (although IDK if they are competing): GSIs and TexSwiper.

I'm not gonna be there this year... Just too far out there for me :(

I'm not gonna be there this year... Just too far out there for me :(

It is closer than Nepal. :)

2 people like this

I might be a little lost but is gz at a fair ground? How close is camping?

I have absolutely ZERO first hand knowledge about camping, but I think that GZ is a convention facility near the center of town.

GZ appears to be the Panhandle South Plains Fairgrounds.

GZ appears to be the Panhandle South Plains Fairgrounds.

Thanks, I should have looked it up instead of using my "fuzzy memory".

It takes a lot of coordination to make a strong showing in the challenge,  so here's some of the positions we need filled (yes, it is not ALL of them, but we have to start somewhere!).

Please post if you want to be included, but leave the details to the private board which you will be given access to once you step up.

Tech Lead

The go-to person for all things tech.   Not that you do everything, but the one guy or gal that knows who is doing it all

Planning 

Even if you cant make the event, planning is critical.  If you have suggestions from years past, please share (in the private board)

Onsite Infrastructure

This means making sure we have a place and space and equipment and power on the day of the event.

GPS loading

Got/Know GSAK? The precious few minutes between when the team captain gets the GPX and when the hunt begins is critical.  We're always through a curve ball, so we need a tight team to copy/massage/distribute the coordinates, and a few experts to help help them, and a few runners.   Got good organization skills or just a tolerance for mayhem?  This is the job for you.

Communications

We've seen in the past that good communications (along with planning) can be a game changer.

Puzzle master

Works closely with the communications team to coordinate the info coming from the field related to puzzles and multis.

Ron and I are going to attend because we need the counties that the trip will give us. We're starting to make plans. :crazy2:  :smitten:

Like I said before.  I do not feel I have the Challenge experience required to head up one of these positions, but I will there to assist.  If all else fails, we can just go have a great time.

1 person likes this

After Water-boarding, Sleep deprivation, a turn on the rack, threats of donut boycotting and the reinstating of a TDW ONLY Prohibition Act , I have told our SETX Rep that I will serve as the 2015 SETX Team Captain.  

I figure since there will only be about 20-30 of SETX cachers attending in Lubbock, the aggravation factor vs the torture was a fair trade.  

The "Mean Flamigators" will be focused on one thing and one thing only ---- HAVING FUN.   I will figure out when and where to hold a SETX Planning Event (just so we can all get a smiley).  It is quite possible that the first and only meeting will be in Lubbock the night before the challenge.... at a beer hall or course!

Details to come at a later time.  For now, if everyone who is attending could let me know, I would appreciate it.  

BTW, Baytown Bert will be in charge of official correspondence, notifications, drug testing and ensuring that the game balls are properly inflated.  

3 people like this

Tealcat and The Norman will be attending and searching.  You wouldn't want us to be part of the tech team--we are both Mac users and I still use a flip phone (and don't text).  :angel:

Tealcat and The Norman will be attending and searching.  You wouldn't want us to be part of the tech team--we are both Mac users and I still use a flip phone (and don't text).  :angel:

Tech team?????  We have to have a tech team???   :smiley6600:   Thanks for the update.

So far both on and off forum I know that we have 6 team members including Baytown Bert and myself.  

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens geocachers can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

Thanks for stepping up TDW!  I think focusing on Fun is a great idea.

You don't **need** a tech team... but you do need to distribute the GPX that you will get as team leader to the rest of the team.... or no one will be having much fun.

1 person likes this

I'm planning now to attend, but it's still a fuzzy "maybe".  I won't be hunting, but I'll bring my laptop to help load GPSr's just in case.

1 person likes this

Gary, you can borrow the "tech box" I bring every year. A couple of laptops with GSAK, mice, powercords, ext. cords, etc.

1 person likes this

The TXGA Board is very much aware of the problems we encountered last year with cheating by some members and the "relaxed" method of scoring AND the bitter feelings many had.  However, we have been unable to "fix" everything, so focusing on having a good time is paramount IMO and others.  Last year was my first challenge and I had a blast.

As of this moment, pending any work trips, KeyResults and I plan on coming and 'fun' hunting.

Gary, you can borrow the "tech box" I bring every year. A couple of laptops with GSAK, mice, powercords, ext. cords, etc.

Jason I will take you up on that offer if the team gets larger than 12.

If you scroll up to previous posts, you can see a few others that plan on attending.

Last I checked, Lubbock was in a dry county.....   :disappoint:

It is quite possible that the first and only meeting will be in Lubbock the night before the challenge.... at a beer hall or course!