Baytown Bert

Newbies double, triple logging caches

32 posts in this topic

Since my caches all have fairly low d/t ratings I don't care if someone logs a find that didn't actually find it.  If they don't care if their number are skewed I certainly don't.  That said, if I had caches with high d/t ratings and the whole point of placing the cache in that place or manner was for the finder to overcome the difficulties involved I would absolutely delete a find if there was not a corresponding signature on the actual log.

Wait.  Maybe they liked the cache a lot so the went and virtually found it a few times.  Maybe they like their find count going up with multiple finds.  If we all play differently.....

The only multiple logs that I have seen on our caches appear to fall into the cases that people have described above--newbies and people logging from the field with what they think is an errant connection.

Has anyone seen multiple virtual logs?

I have deleted multiple logs, and I think I might have deleted a virtual log once--normally I wouldn't notice but someone called it to my attention.

I forgot to include the :stirpot:  earlier.  :angel:

I forgot to include the :stirpot:  earlier.  :angel:

I know.  And I've only seen multiple from the app / newbies, too.  My point was simply that people who don't mind how others play (recognizing we all play differently) shouldn't worry too much if their caches have multiple logs by someone.  Especially if they've e-mailed some advice and they take no action.  In the end, it's no biggie.

I rarely use the Android and never the iPhone and never ever the new free versions of the apps... I wonder if the User Interface or performance of those apps makes this more prone to happen?   I did notice Groundspeak has a UX artist and UX Team Manager position open.

I rarely use the Android and never the iPhone and never ever the new free versions of the apps... I wonder if the User Interface or performance of those apps makes this more prone to happen?   I did notice Groundspeak has a UX artist and UX Team Manager position open.

A lot of my finds have been on an Android phone using the c:geo app.  There was one time that the app was acting funny and the "send log" wouldn't take, then multiple logs went through at once.  I remember that there was an app update that came out soon after fixing the problem explaining that the geocaching.com API had changed.  Since then, I just assume that multiple logs in succession from one person means it was an accident or they didn't realize they did it.