Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

GSAK Question/Help

25 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I just started using GSAK about a week ago. The first thing I did was to download our "My Finds" PQ and saved it to it's own database. Have only used GSAK to filter caches to compile qualifiers for challenge caches so far, which is sweet!

Last night I downloaded the first 1000 cache PQ of caches we haven't found yet, and I screwed up and saved it into our "My Finds" database. Other than individually check-marking 1000 caches and deleting them I can't figure out how to move them to a separate database. What are my options to remove these caches from that specific database? Please help!!

Posted · Report post

You can filter and un-click the box that says found.  That will give you all the unfound ones.  And then you can go to Waypoints / Delete and select "all in current filter".

Then you'll be left with your original database of found ones in that datbase.

Go to your default (or whatever) and then re-download the PQ in the geocaching.com section and it will suck in the unfound ones for you in the database you are in.

Jhawk! likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks Kevin I got it.

Note to self...make sure to create a new database AND select it BEFORE downloading a new PQ...

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

Don't you just love the network here, Russ? 

Posted · Report post

Don't you just love the network here, Russ? 

Yes sir!

I was going to ask Kevin or Donna about this at the Saucer event at noon today , but I was impatient LOL!! I was about ready to delete the whole database and start over!

Kirbydox and cachestacker like this

Posted · Report post

Next question...

Is there a more efficient way of doing PQ's to load to GSAK than running radius PQ's on geocaching.com? You have to do a lot of overlap with the radius PQ's to get everything.

Posted · Report post

In gsak go to the geocaching. Com menu and use "get caches" you can use circles or squares to select areas. Email me yor ph number if you can.

cachestacker and Baytown Bert like this

Posted · Report post

Yes sir!

I was going to ask Kevin or Donna about this at the Saucer event at noon today , but I was impatient LOL!! I was about ready to delete the whole database and start over!

LOL.  That works too.

Posted · Report post

In gsak go to the geocaching. Com menu and use "get caches" you can use circles or squares to select areas. Email me yor ph number if you can.

Got it figured out GASTX, thanks for the tip!

Posted · Report post

Ladybug Kids was telling us how he loads PQ's for his home area of Alaska. He runs his PQ's by Placed Date. He did say the first time getting the date ranges correct and adjusted to garner 1000 caches per PQ was VERY painful but after the initial set up this system works well and eliminates the gaps caused by circles around a given point.

I find it interesting hearing how different people run PQ's and keep their databases updated. I learn something new every time!

Baytown Bert and Jhawk! like this

Posted · Report post

I can't for the life of me see this in a drop down menu?  Am I having a moment?  :uglystupid2:

Posted (edited) · Report post

What version are you using?

Edited by GASTX

Posted · Report post

Oh crap, Greg, I was looking on GC.om, not GSAK!  Smacking my forehead with a ball-peen hammer.

Posted · Report post

I used the "placed date" method to pull in caches for my Longest Since Last Find list when I was using GSAK to do it.  I now use the GC.com search function because you can click to sort by "Last Found".  I don't know why I didn't revert to using the placed date method for my Greater Houston database after I got the Montana and started loading in a butt-load of caches. :blackeye:

Posted · Report post

"butt-load of caches"  That sounds like a lot. :angel:

Posted · Report post

Ladybug Kids was telling us how he loads PQ's for his home area of Alaska. He runs his PQ's by Placed Date. He did say the first time getting the date ranges correct and adjusted to garner 1000 caches per PQ was VERY painful but after the initial set up this system works well and eliminates the gaps caused by circles around a given point.

That is what I do. I'm at roughly 8000 unfounds in this area in my main Houston db.

Also to a previous point - I used to keep my finds separate but had problems with that so I finally took my brothers advice and dumped them all in the same and the just use filters as needed. Much more useful when you get used to it.

FYI you are allowed 10 PQs a day now. Just noticed that the other day.

Posted · Report post

ha ha!  People believe I am smarter than I are.

Posted · Report post

I just started using GSAK about a week ago. The first thing I did was to download our "My Finds" PQ and saved it to it's own database. Have only used GSAK to filter caches to compile qualifiers for challenge caches so far, which is sweet!

Last night I downloaded the first 1000 cache PQ of caches we haven't found yet, and I screwed up and saved it into our "My Finds" database. Other than individually check-marking 1000 caches and deleting them I can't figure out how to move them to a separate database. What are my options to remove these caches from that specific database? Please help!!

Congratulations - you're now a GC-lifer  :notme:

#iphoneGC4life #GSAK1stSignofObsession

Kirbydox and Baytown Bert like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

I find it interesting hearing how different people run PQ's and keep their databases updated. I learn something new every time!

I saw a YouTube tutorial about running PQ's using the Placed Date method. Seems like it would be a sure fire way to get "everything" loaded for our "home area", then we'd only have to generate a new PQ for new publications. Our problem is that in the 11 months since we started geocaching, we haven't quite narrowed down what our "home area" really is! :2funny:  :2funny:

Edited by RRM10
Kirbydox and Baytown Bert like this

Posted · Report post

TexasWriter told me the other day that we just need to admit that we are addicted... No way!

Posted · Report post

Uh, excuse me?  TW adamantly declared he wasn't addicted unless my forgetter is working again.