Dhaulaghiri

Which GPSr to buy?!?

41 posts in this topic

How is the build quality? One of the biggest disappointments of the 62 for me at least was that it's cheaply built. It creaks in your hand. Doesn't fill solid at all.

The older 60 series were rocks in the hand.

..oh much thanks for the write up. Excellent review.

Case, and form factor are identical to the 62s/62st except the color scheme which is now a two-tone gray (which I think is more attractive. I know what you mean about the design, but let me say that my 62's have been mistreated, physically, more times than I can count - falling off my bike, falling while I'm on my bike!, falling out of the car, out of the kayak, etc., and always just keep going. I believe the design does use more flexible Poly that exhibits much more flex, but I suspect that "give" is also what protects the unit during impact events.

Excellent review. I'm interested in your comments about the compass which is extremely flawed in the 62. So much so that I want to throw it in the nearest creek quite often. My iPhone is more reliable than the 62s in most cases.

This review make my heart go pitty-pat.  :smitten:  Thanks, KR! I was wondering about the 64, had heard some of this but this is a pretty comprehensive review. I'd considered an Oregon just because trips are a pain to plain when limited to caches along a route. We sure could have used this for Block Party when we drove from Seattle to Idaho to Montana and back and then to Oregon. 

I am not a fan of touch screens either. I'm tired of looking at sweaty smears on my phone when I am out in the field. I love the buttons on the 62s even if they started wearing off much sooner than they did on the 60csx.  Like HD said, the compass is flawed but I've learned to work around it. If it's improved in the 64, I might have to put this on my wish list.

This interests me a lot.  It shouldn't.  It's a real first-world problem here.  Having 5k caches in my Oregon is not enough when traveling as I don't want to be limited to where I think I'll be.  But in using KX's 62, the compass does suck.  Incredibly.  

I know none is perfect, but my Oregon is way better on that.  And I don't want to feel I'm going backward on the absolute basics.  I want to hear how that does before I invest any money put it on my Christmas list, or birthday list, or next Christmas list... you know how that goes.

That looks very similar to mine.  The antenna support is broken in the same place, but your buttons are still readable.  

Here's mine.

My 62s had a major malfunction today, was on the phone with Garmin for awhile. Ended up I could send it back in and get it replaced or upgrade, I chose to upgrade to a 64s.

KeyResults likes this

I just bought a 64S today :coolsmiley:  Very happy with it so far. Build quality is the same as my 62S and that one has survived repeated swims in Armand Bayou!  Registered and updated firmware. Took outside and powered up. Out of the box,,,locked on to Gps and glonass...getting 9 feet accuracy!

I just bought a 64S today :coolsmiley: Very happy with it so far. Build quality is the same as my 62S and that one has survived repeated swims in Armand Bayou! Registered and updated firmware. Took outside and powered up. Out of the box,,,locked on to Gps and glonass...getting 9 feet accuracy!

Presumably.

I just bought a 64S today :coolsmiley: Very happy with it so far. Build quality is the same as my 62S and that one has survived repeated swims in Armand Bayou! Registered and updated firmware. Took outside and powered up. Out of the box,,,locked on to Gps and glonass...getting 9 feet accuracy!

Presumably.

::) 

Debbie Downer.

:lol: 

Mustard Devil likes this

I was having trouble with the electronic compass on my new 64s.  I would recalibrate it and it would work OK for a while, but before long, north was south and vice versa.  Recalibrating it would fix the issue, but it might only last 15 or 20 minutes before it was jacked up again.  Recalibrating the compass 5 times on a 2 hour outing was ludicrous!  I was about ready to send it back when they upgraded the firmware to version 3.70, saying it specifically addressed issues with the compass.  I installed the upgrade and lo and behold we cached for 8 hours Friday and (after an initial calibration), it worked flawlessly all day.

So far, so good!

KeyResults likes this

On the Amigo Series, we had an Oregon 650, a 62S, and a 64s and still had them agreeing or disagreeing by as much as 50 feet.  What is buried out there?  :uglystupid2:

I was about ready to send it back when they upgraded the firmware to version 3.70, saying it specifically addressed issues with the compass. 

So far, so good!

Thanks for reminding me of that update, installed today. Thanks