Sign in to follow this  
amberita13

Embracing Geocaching App - Multi/Inputting Coordinates

For those that don't know, I use the Geocaching App on my iPhone exclusively for caching.

I started with an iPhone 4, and last Thursday I updated to an iPhone 5C. 

Before just recently, if we wanted to do a multi we would bring a car GPS along to input the coordinates. But while geocaching BB's Blue Heron series Wednesday, I discovered the button to input coordinates on...but the App refused to direct me anywhere other than the redirect GZ.

(As a note, I don't know if it was because of my iPhone 4, or if it was because I didn't have the most recent update of the Geocaching app...)

Now that I am "up to date", you click the ". . ." button on the right top of the specific cache you're looking for, (if you happen to be on the screen where a listing/map of near caches are it will give you different options).

post-2034-0-65249600-1401587470_thumb.jp

Then you're given the option to make a waypoint & input the values. 

Ah ha!  :laugh:

I caught up with TXGeoHunters on that series last weekend and he was using the iPhone.  We played with it for 5 or 10 minutes before finally finding the right button to input additional wayoints... but never could get the thing to set the waypoint as the target.  He had the 4S and I was using the 5.  Trying to stare at the screen in the bright sunshine was another issue.  Finally, I just told him to follow me, since I had put the new coords in my trusty Garmin 62S.  He said he was going to play with the phone some more when he got home.  It's not real intuitive...

Edited by HoustonControl

Interesting that the Geocaching Live app (also from GC.com) for the Windows Phone is super easy to add waypoints for multi stages, finals for puzzles, etc. and it saves them on the app (they're not a one time thing). 

The little arrow on the upper left of the map display lets you set the waypoint as a target.  I showed that to some newbies at my Geocaching 101 Event last weekend, and they were very thankful.

• Like 1