Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lab caches in Bastrop?

49 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

So we do not need some special app to post these finds after all? Sorry... I know people are probably tired of answering questions about LAB caches. LOL

Posted · Report post

So we do not need some special app to post these finds after all? Sorry... I know people are probably tired of answering questions about LAB caches. LOL

Just go to the lab cache website and enter the codes.

Jhawk! likes this

Posted · Report post

This looks a lot like geo-tours :/

I think it is much easier than geotours as there are only 7 caches and most of them are close to the highways since most of them are local businesses.

Posted · Report post

Also, Geo-Tours are actually real caches hidden at locations that just happen to illuminate interesting historical or geological features.  It sounds like the lab caches are more about going to a location and interacting with it in some way.  You aren't finding a cache, you are having an experience.

Posted · Report post

So it would actually be more like a virtual, right?!?

Anyway, I'll check a few out on Saturday and decide for myself...

Posted · Report post

I thought they were real caches you had to sign and all - just temporary.

Posted (edited) · Report post

This strongly reminds me of Thanksgiving morning , ie roasted turkey. This same concept will come to South Shore Harbor in 7?!??months, hopefully improved by the smart input from our local folks, cuz GS has repeatedly been clueless and earless

Geez, Bob, very tactful, what happened to your filter?

Edited by bbqbob2

Posted · Report post

i don't know about the rest of you, but i was a little disappointed in the lab caches we found today.  we did go in each business and look around, tasted a wine, bought some chocolates.  but i'd rather have virtuals back where we learned something or went somewhere cool instead.

Dhaulaghiri likes this

Posted · Report post

I enjoyed the visits at Texas Rainwater, and the rock shop.  We got a tour of the Rainwater plant, and then talked to the rock shop lady for about 30 minutes.   The steak seasoning tasting at Cripple Creek was awesome.   

Posted · Report post

I must admit we only did one (the Sugar Shack) and it was late last night (after we had dinner and after the post-event nearly non-event).  We figured that most things weren't going to be open today (Sunday) and we didn't get into town until late Friday night.

The one person working at the Sugar Shack didn't seem to be that interested in the whole thing.

Posted · Report post

I think they are sort of like a virtual in that you have to obtain information at the site to claim the find (the code). The way they set it up, the codes are in plain view, so it is your choice how much you interact. I think most of the places they out them at give you an experience, if you choose to have it. We enjoyed the rock shop, rainwater place, and the wine shop.

Posted · Report post

We found two of them... the Sugar Shack and Cripple Creek. We had fun at both places and enjoyed Cripple Creek alot, even bought a sign and some steak seasoning. I think they were kinda cool caches to find.

Another place we enjoyed was some museum in town where one of the challenge caches were placed. The lady in there was super nice and enjoyed our geocaching antics. Let us use the restroom too, which we really needed at that point. :)

Posted · Report post

*put, not "out"

Forgive me but that sounds like a shakespere chastity passage. :0

Posted · Report post

If I understand correctly, Cybercat put out all 144 challenge caches AND set up the labs caches -- which entailed going to businesses and getting their buy-in ahead of time, etc.  She tried to make each lab cache an interactive experience, but one only gets out of it what one puts into it.  If you just want to drive by and get the code word from the street, well, that's your prerogative.  A smiley is  smiley, right?  I, for one, am not going to downplay how much work she put into all this.

If anyone has any good ideas for locations in the South Shore Harbor/Clear Lake/Kemah area that might make an interesting labs cache, PM me.

Posted · Report post

My comment was specifically about our experience, and as I said, we went to one place and it was relatively late.  The person working there at that time didn't seem to want to have anything to do with geocachers.  I'm sure that we would have had a different experience during the day on Friday if we had had that opportunity.

Posted · Report post

We did do all of the lab caches.  I think they are a good idea, but you are only going to get something out of it if you stop to interact.  The one that I was looking the most forward to was the Sugar Shack just because I love sweets.  I was highly disappointed in that one.  We came in the middle of the afternoon and went into the store really planning on buying something.  We looked around and I thought the prices were high but I probably would have splurged a bit and still bought something, but the person behind the counter never interacted with us at all and spent most of the time on the phone taking care of an order, but even when she wasn't on the phone, she didn't seem to care that we were even there or might need some help.  We decided that since we had just eaten lunch that we weren't really needing any fudge any way, so we decided to just leave and let it be their loss.   We loved the tour at the Rainwater place and I talked Stan into going into the Rock Shop even though he hadn't initially wanted to go, but we both ended up really enjoying the visit.  The lady was very nice and informative and ended up inviting us to take a lucky rock out of her basket which we both carried with us on the challenge....I guess it worked.  LOL.   Neither one of us are wine drinkers, so we just got the code off of the brewery one.  We visited the place with the bronze statues and I don't think that they really had anything officially set up for the geocachers other than the code, but we ended up being mistakenly directed to see a large bronze statue in their workshop area down the hill because they thought we were part of what was probably a veteran's group that was seeing the military type statue.  I think that stop could have really been a good one if the business was willing to be more interactive with the geocachers. 

For the geocoinfest, I don't really have any recommendations for places, but I would make sure that the businesses are excited about the opportunity to interact with the public if the lab caches are centered around businesses.  

One of the things that I think is interesting in Kemah area are all of the pelican sculptures.  However, these may be better suited for finding them with a Wherigo rather than a Lab cache.   We had fun taking a walking tour in Bastrop of the Historical homes following a Wherigo and the same type of thing could be set up following pelicans in Kemah.

Posted · Report post

If anyone has any good ideas for locations in the South Shore Harbor/Clear Lake/Kemah area that might make an interesting labs cache, PM me.

does it have to be businesses?  can it be landmarks or historical things that we can get a code from/for? 

JustKeely likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

does it have to be businesses?  can it be landmarks or historical things that we can get a code from/for? 

No, it doesn't have to be a business.  They had two "sets" of labs caches at the Block Party last summer in Seattle.  One was a tour of funky things in the neighborhood around Groundspeak HQ -- some cool cache containers, some sculptures, artwork, and the like, and a couple of businesses.  The other set of labs caches was a tour of microbreweries in the area, complete with 1oz samples at each stop.  Now that one was really great!

Edited by HoustonControl
green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

now that sounds better than the day-glo paper posted in the window of a business.  I did go in and look around or shop at the stores I did the labs for, but I'd rather see something interesting, learn something or have a multi of sorts. 

Posted · Report post

I personally liked having the answers in the window and the opportunity to not interact.