Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lab caches in Bastrop?

49 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

So it looks like the Bastrop lab caches are going to be open starting 9:00 am on Thursday, 3/20.  Does anyone know when they will close?  Will the places you have to go to be open on Sunday?  We won't be arriving until evening on Friday, but we really want to do the lab caches.  

Posted · Report post

Here are the names of the Lab caches

• Berdoll Pecans

• Bronze Foundry

• Texas Rain

• The Little Gallery and Rock Shop

• Bone Spirits

• Cripple Creek

• Sugar Shack

Posted · Report post

I feel kind of dumb.  I have clicked on all the links I can find on these lab caches and I still don't have a clue as to what I should do.  Do you download something?  Is there any kind of a printout?  I am pretty much at a loss.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I feel kind of dumb.  I have clicked on all the links I can find on these lab caches and I still don't have a clue as to what I should do.  Do you download something?  Is there any kind of a printout?  I am pretty much at a loss.

They are experimental temporary caches created for events. The first ones are in Bastrop.

https://labs.geocaching.com/

http://blog.geocaching.com/2013/08/geocaching-labs-faq/

Read first post. Nothing you can do until 9 am Thursday 20th.

Edited by SockPuppet

Posted · Report post

They'll be up for 4 days.  Once they go live, go to the coordinates, sign the logbook and make a note of the code needed.  If you have a smart phone, you can log it right then and there.  If not, go to the website on your computer later and log them.  They are separate from the regular caches on Geocaching.com and won't be found on that site.

This is like Terracaching

How does this Lab Cache work?

These mostly work the same as regular geocaches: navigate to the location, find the cache and sign the logbook. However, these differ in that you must use the find code in order to mark the geocache as found.

Do I need to download an app to play?

Nope! We developed a special web app that can be accessed from any smartphone. We also have GPX files for download, as well as good old-fashioned, printed-on-paper coordinates.

Edited by SockPuppet

Posted · Report post

I am really confused about these.  There are no details of how this work.  Where do we find the web app that can be accessed by a phone an where do we find the lab caches when they are published?  Do we download them to the phone or GPSr or just access them through this mysterious web app?  I'm trying to be prepared so I can be where I need to be to download and get set when they are published if I need Internet access to download them for my GPSr.  Not much information that I can find on them.

Posted · Report post

I am having to learn as well. Fortunately a GroundSpeak Lackey will be in Badtrop Friday night and is willing to share about Lab Caches at the Meet and Greet.

There is a link on the Texas Challenge Event page.  This is it here:  http://labs.geocaching.com/goto/texaschallenge2014

After 9 AM Thursday, the link will be live and take you to a list of labs caches and the web app.  If it's like at the Block Party last August, there will also be printed sheets of paper with the locations and coordinates for them handed out at the Mega event sign-in.  I can't promise that, but it would make sense.

Edited by HoustonControl

Posted · Report post

I only have one question about lab caches: What do they have to do with a golden ammo can? :)

Posted · Report post

I only have one question about lab caches: What do they have to do with a golden ammo can? :)

Maybe there are different species of Lab caches.    Ya know, Golden Lab, Chocolate Lab,......   :coolsmiley:

DangerKitties and TexasWriter like this

Posted · Report post

Maybe there are different species of Lab caches.    Ya know, Golden Lab, Chocolate Lab,......   :coolsmiley:

Well, I'm bringing the chocolate lab.  :2funny:

Posted · Report post

There is a link on the Texas Challenge Event page.  This is it here:  http://labs.geocaching.com/goto/texaschallenge2014

After 9 AM Thursday, the link will be live and take you to a list of labs caches and the web app.  If it's like at the Block Party last August, there will also be printed sheets of paper with the locations and coordinates for them handed out at the Mega event sign-in.  I can't promise that, but it would make sense.

Thanks.  I have visited that link but didn't see where it explained that it becomes the app when they go live.  I was trying to figure out where we find the app.  So I guess that means I need to have an internet connection when it goes live so that I can download coordinates into my GPSr.  That tells me I need to stay put late that day and sit around with the Internet waiting for 9:00. 

Posted · Report post

There are only 7 caches so just be near someone with a smart phone and enter the coords the old fashion way (easier said than done for some of us).

Posted · Report post

Coords the old fashion way?!  :startled:

Actually this thread is, was, making me salivate to go get a lab cache for my 1000th find...

but that means I have to find 80 caches between now & then...& I don't have the ET in my backyard...

ANYWAY: So you're saying if I go to the site there will not be an equivalent app-like interface where it will guide me/log?

Simply a site with a list of coordinates & a place to log the "code word" once found?

If so, this might be the biggest deterrent for me to stay in Harrisburg with my iPhone-dependent-caching  :sleeping:

Posted · Report post

Almost seems like they're trying to make something fun and fairly straightforward into something difficult that depends on additional technology.

Posted · Report post

They call them "labs caches" like they're something they are trying out, but they've been around in this same incarnation at pretty much every Mega event since GeoWoodstock last year.  It seems they're just a way to have temporary caches for an event that highlight some interesting locations in the area, but then conveniently go away after a few days.

https://labs.geocaching.com/Adventures/Details/200fd44c-564b-4424-88ab-b1dab2daa93b

You can download the gpx file. 7 caches from Smithville to north of Bastrop.

You have 5 days from 9 am Thursday to find them. They were put out by cybercat.

Printed page.

https://labs.geocaching.com/Adventures/Report/200fd44c-564b-4424-88ab-b1dab2daa93b

Geocaches Berdoll Pecans N 30° 10.001 W 97° 30.660

Take your picture with the giant squirrel and have your photo added to the Famous Squirrel Wall of Fame! While you're here, sample different varieties of pecans that grow in this area and all the wonderful products that are made with them! 
If you come after hours, you can even purchase a pecan pie in the vending machine outside! 
Take a drive on the road behind the store to see some of the Berdoll pecan orchards.

Find Code:

Bronze Foundry N 30° 05.879 W 97° 18.455

Come and check out the largest Bronze Foundry in the state of Texas! You have seen their work all over the state and didn't realize it was made here! 
The visitor area with examples of bronze work in various states of completion will be open Thursday, Friday and Saturday. 
The foundry will be open for tours from 9-5 Sat, March 22 only.

Find Code:

Texas Rain N 30° 03.027 W 97° 11.285

Come in for a tour and a taste of bottled Texas rainwater. This is the largest rainwater collection facility in the world! See how rainwater is captured and bottled here in biodegradable bottles made on site! Tours daily, 9-5 except Sunday.

Find Code:

The Little Gallery and Rock Shop N 30° 03.004 W 97° 11.303

Come in and find rocks and minerals from all over the world. You may not be able to visit earthcaches worldwide, but you will see a good representation of them here! 
Of particular interest is the display of sacred stones from India, called the Shiva Lingam. This rock is only found in the holy Narmada river in India. After the completion of the Sardar Sarovar dam, most of these rocks will be irretrievable. 
10-5 Thursday-Sunday

Find Code:

Bone Spirits N 30° 00.232 W 97° 09.216

Stop by for a tour of Bone Spirits Distillery and visit the tasting room to sample vodka, gin, and whiskey made on-site. 
See their flagship vodka, which has already hit Austin stores, made from corn from Coyote Creek farms, triple distilled in a copper pot still, then transferred to a fractionating column system to remove unwanted flavor aspects from the juice. Ages 21 and up only in the tasting room. Open from 10-8 daily, closed on Sundays.

Find Code:

Cripple Creek N 30° 06.621 W 97° 19.201

Visit the Cripple Creek wine boutique to sample cheese and some great wines made with grapes from local wineries.

Find Code:

Sugar Shack N 30° 06.545 W 97° 19.573

Stop in and watch fresh fudge being made daily. Sample handmade candies and sweet treats such as chocolate dipped strawberries, maple logs, and pralines! Yum!

Find Code:

Edited by SockPuppet