Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Geocaching Family :)

22 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi, I'm Michelle. I live in Katy,and just started geocaching a few weeks ago. I first heard of it ages back, but I thought surely no one was playing way out in the suburbs where we are. ;) I had no idea how popular it was! Then I recently saw a photo of a friend geocaching with her kids, and I thought it would be a brilliant hobby for us to do as a family! Here's a pic I took at a cache we found in Cypress earlier this week:

2014-02-28-003.jpg?m=1393812922

Good to meet you all! Maybe we'll run into each other sometime. ;)

Dhaulaghiri and KeyResults like this

Posted · Report post

welcome to geocaching!  there are quite a few of us who cache with our kids and i'm often out in katy with my son. 

Posted · Report post

It's a great activity to get the kiddos outside - hunting 'treasures'.

Welcome to the obsession, and Happy Caching.....

Posted · Report post

Hi and welcome aboard!

Make sure you pay your royalties to Baytown Bert for the photo.  He invented the selfie...

Posted · Report post

I actually did.  LOL  (Gawd, I am so embarrassed to admit that).

Geocaching6-27-135_zps098dbd5f.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Welcome aboard. :). What is you geocaching name?

Edited by SockPuppet

Hi and welcome aboard!

Make sure you pay your royalties to Baytown Bert for the photo.  He invented the selfie...

LOL. I'm not in that photo, so it isn't a selfie. Think I'm good. ;) Oh, my profile pic is, though. Guess I'd better pay up!

Welcome aboard. :). What is you geocaching name?

Same as here, michelleepotter. I've been signing logs as Potter Family, though.

Edited by michelleepotter

Posted · Report post

welcome to geocaching!!! my kids and i are lived in katy and is always looking for someone to go with us!!

Posted · Report post

Great photo! Welcome! Especially the kids! :)

This is normally where I recommend Premium membership so you can see all the caches, AND so you can plug in your location so Ground Speak will send you a weekly newsletter about local events, and geocaches, and helpful hints. There's many more benefits, but information and connections are usually most valuable to you early IMHO.

There's some great caching all around you, the Katy area is overflowing with great geocachers and hides.

I'd immediately say go to some events, but many times they are at restaurants and you'd probably go broke based on that photo! Seriously, events are terrific for connecting and gleaning info. Highly recommended. There's also the "Mash Ups" section on this board when you know you'll be wanting to go out and cache a general area. Just post your intentions and somebody may pipe up and join you. If they are experienced it will be useful to you and generally improve your "Found It" logs and help prevent kids from getting bored. Like fishing, the kids respond to results regularly, and take Did Not Find's even worse than Texas Writer! 

Posted · Report post

Just have to say it again...Great photo! It makes me happy to look at that picture. Obviously those kiddos are highly stressed and really hate photo ops ;)

Can't wait to meet you guys at an event or one of the group outings.

Posted · Report post

Don't do it!  it's a trap!  That's one of the crazy's above me there - (the handsome fellow).

KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

welcome to geocaching!!! my kids and i are lived in katy and is always looking for someone to go with us!!

Awesome! I'll have to let you know next time we're going farther than our neighborhood. (It's kind of awesome how many caches are within walking distance of our house!)

Great photo! Welcome! Especially the kids! :)

This is normally where I recommend Premium membership so you can see all the caches, AND so you can plug in your location so Ground Speak will send you a weekly newsletter about local events, and geocaches, and helpful hints. There's many more benefits, but information and connections are usually most valuable to you early IMHO.

Thanks! I did sign up for premium. The kids wanted to hide a cache, and we found out after submitting that there was already a premium in that field. So I got a premium membership so I'd be able to find a better hiding spot. I figured $30 to entertain eight kids for a year is a good deal!

Just have to say it again...Great photo! It makes me happy to look at that picture. Obviously those kiddos are highly stressed and really hate photo ops ;)

Can't wait to meet you guys at an event or one of the group outings.

That would be fun!

Just a warning for everyone, though. I have Social Anxiety Disorder. If we meet up and I seem reserved, don't think I dislike you! I'm just shy. Feel free to talk my ear off anyway. ;) My kids are very sociable, though. They love meeting new people!

Hi, I'm Michelle. I live in Katy,and just started geocaching a few weeks ago. I first heard of it ages back, but I thought surely no one was playing way out in the suburbs where we are. ;) I had no idea how popular it was! Then I recently saw a photo of a friend geocaching with her kids, and I thought it would be a brilliant hobby for us to do as a family! Here's a pic I took at a cache we found in Cypress earlier this week:

2014-02-28-003.jpg?m=1393812922

Good to meet you all! Maybe we'll run into each other sometime. ;)

Now that's a team! You shouldn't hae any trouble finding those elusive caches with all them eyes. :laugh:

Welcome Michelleepotter and Family!! 

Edited by Mudfrog

So, a couple of questions. Is it a problem that my geocaching.com account name is slightly different from the one I'm using to sign the logs? Should I change my account name?

Secondly, how do people feel about a homemade trackable? My daughter is very artistic, and she's getting a metal stamping kit for her birthday. I thought I'd buy some travel bug tags, make some keychains with metal discs, and stamp the tracking numbers along with "Track at Geocaching.com" and our own design. I figured that would be a lot cuter than attaching the actual travel tag to a keychain.

Edited by michelleepotter
green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

There's no real issue with signing the log a bit differently than your online logging name.  Lots of people shorthen theirs for the logs (I sign "HC" a lot of the time).

The homemade trackable is a great idea.  As long as it has the tracking number on it from GC.com, it will work.  I've made my own with brass tags and a stamping kit to replace ones that disappeared, though I'm sure my crude rendition wasn't nearly as nice as what your daughter will produce.

michelleepotter likes this

Posted · Report post

Welcome to the club of psychos who like to use multi-million government satellites to find Tupperware in the woods.

Being in the Katy area you have many opportunities for caching.

May I suggest George Bush Park, Bear Creek Park and chefkimmo's wonderful series in Paul Rushing Park just north of Katy.

Good luck, and I hope to bump into you guys out there.

KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

Oooh, I've never heard of Paul Rushing Park. I always like to find new parks!

Posted · Report post

I always cache with my wife, son (4), and our newborn (he rides in a carrier). Hope our families meet in the wild one day! Welcome to the sport.