Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Story behind the caching name?

51 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Yes, thanks for revisitng this topic since we have so many new people on here!!

Posted · Report post

ATMA was decided while sitting on the ground looking at the log of our first cache find.

It is based on the first letter of our grandkids first names on the day of our first find.

The grandkid count has risen since then but we kept the name as it originally was.

Posted · Report post

Had I the foresight to come up with something other than my ACTUAL name....

I know I can change it, but don't have a clue what I would change it to.

green-eyed and rozowski5 like this

Posted · Report post

Had I the foresight to come up with something other than my ACTUAL name....

I'm resisting the urge... :>)

Posted · Report post

Us too.  If we had known how important it would become to the rest of our lives I would have worked harder at coming up with a name when signing that first log!  We have thought about changing to the scoobydoocrew (I am sure it is taken) just because there are 5 of us and I want to be Daphne.  No one wants to be Fred.  I wish we had something more fun/interesting/charming/witty but we have our name.   My 9 year old son wants to get his own name so I will counsel him to think wisely before choosing! 

Posted · Report post

Really simple: 34 years as a locomotive engineer with Union Pacific Railroad. I starting using uptrain as a company e-mail address and just kept it.

JuleeD likes this

Posted · Report post

There are times I wish we had picked a shorter name....

.... like when the mossies are eating you alive in the 105 degrees temp.

.... like when you're trying to sign the log in rain.

.... like when that neighbors dog just won't stop barking at you through the fence.

That's when the initials MB come in handy.

Posted · Report post

Really simple: 34 years as a locomotive engineer with Union Pacific Railroad. I starting using uptrain as a company e-mail address and just kept it.

Growing up in my youth I thought I would like to do what you did.

Posted · Report post

Had I the foresight to come up with something other than my ACTUAL name....

I'm resisting the urge... :>)

Go ahead, TW...give it your best shot! :)

Posted · Report post

Boy, have we told this story a few times.  When we first looked at Geocaching, we couldn't see where caches were unless we signed in.  Well, I figured correctly that nobody else would pick the name of a guitar player from an obscure band I have listened to since my teenage years (back when cassette tapes were ALL the rage).  Yep, Zoot Horn Rollo was not taken - what a surprise.  I think only three people have known who he is in the seven years we've been at it.  Most people haven't listened to Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band.

Mrs. Z was not impressed, but we didn't think we'd be as involved as we are, so we stuck with it.

When nanos started becoming popular, we started using ZHR, which helps people know it isn't "Zoo Thorn" , as if it matters.

If anyone would like to read it, the real Zoot Horn Rollo has written a book.  I'll loan you my copy if you want.  I'm sure the  waiting list won't be long.

Posted · Report post

Humm lets see. I started caching as Usticould and cached for a couple months and found none.  Then I hit a lucky streak of finding a couple in a month.  I was hooked and one night when I was logging the wife said she was giving a new name.  She said I would have no control over this hobby.  I would get crazy with it.  So she said I should have been Cache Control.  So then the name was change after finding 10 caches. LMAO.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

A couple years ago, I was trying to think up a new username for something, and decided I just didn't want to. I figured that anybody who has my Facebook or email address already knows my real name anyway, so might as well use that. It's also a good reminder not to say anything online that I wouldn't want my kids (or my mom!) to see. :P When I sign logs, though, I sign "Potter Family."

Edited by michelleepotter

Posted · Report post

my username came from the combination of my first and last name. when i graduated from high school i went straight to North Harris College (now its Lone Star) and the school gave me the name. the name grew on me so i have been using it for years now and just added the year i was born.

Posted · Report post

I think HoustonControl should change his caching name to BaytownLarry.

I like "makesoilandgas"...

attachicon.gifMakesOil.wmv

Actually, it was "Oil, gas and petrochemicals".  My current project is to make synthetic lube oil, so none of those things were untrue! :angel:

Posted · Report post

I think HoustonControl should change his caching name to BaytownLarry.

I like "makesoilandgas"...

Posted ImageMakesOil.wmv

Actually, it was "Oil, gas and petrochemicals". My current project is to make synthetic lube oil, so none of those things were untrue! :angel:

Latex safe lube????

Posted · Report post

But "makesoilandgas" has other scatological meanings when one considers night soil...

Posted · Report post

If this happens, someone would finally have a longer cache name than Zoothornrollo!

But "makesoilandgas" has other scatological meanings when one considers night soil...

Posted · Report post

I have wondered about the caching names Raven, and THOT...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Since Raven isn't on the forum (I've never seen him on here anyway), I can help a little on that one. His last name contains "raven" ....   Just so you didn't stay up all night pondering. If you find yourself up all night, just chase FTF's.

Edited by TexasWriter
KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

Us too. If we had known how important it would become to the rest of our lives I would have worked harder at coming up with a name when signing that first log! We have thought about changing to the scoobydoocrew (I am sure it is taken) just because there are 5 of us and I want to be Daphne. No one wants to be Fred. I wish we had something more fun/interesting/charming/witty but we have our name. My 9 year old son wants to get his own name so I will counsel him to think wisely before choosing!

I'll be Fred...

Posted · Report post

Mine is simple. ClanStan = Clan Stanford (last name Stanford). I wanted StanClan but it was taken by an absent cacher (several years) and I couldnt get GC.com to release it.

My wife caches with me most of the time, Her name is Alicia and Mine is Gregg. I floated the idea of GAS for Gregg Alice Stanford (fits nice on a nano log as well) and she gave me that look of REALLY!!! when they get to know you they will name you that anyway. Funny I keep learning what "I Do" really means after 30 years.

well, you just confused me with your name change!