Revise Memorial Mob?

64 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

If you do it at the arboretum just make sure everyone has moved their cars out of the arboretum by closing time, which I think is 5 p.m.   I would hate to have some people go off group caching and forget to move their cars and then get locked in.

Since myself and three children were locked into the park at Herman looking for that Panda cache I should always be aware of gates! Best part of the story is that we didn't know we were locked in and had to be informed of our predicament. That shows true awareness of your surroundings.

I am waiting on r1 to figure out his travel schedule and then I can get the event in the queue. How hard is to book a trip to china? I think he is trying to maximize countries to get our last 3 for han's challenge cache.

I think when you book travel based on caching goals it indicates some sort of obsession. Never mind that our entire honeymoon trip last summer was mapped out according to the placement of cool virtuals and earthcaches, and that the hotel I picked to stay at in Irving, TX next week was selected purely on its proximity to a hike and bike series. Or that all my business trips / routes are planned out around cache locations, times of availability, etc. Or that I bow out of after hours group dinners while business traveling so that I can cache the areas instead. It's all you other people that are obsessed....not me. :D

I am NOT obsessed, :notme: (booking a trip to China is a piece of cake)

I would NEVER plan a trip for the sake of caching  (Except for maybe Peru, or China and...HMmmmmmmm.....!!!)

My garmin is loaded with approx. 534 caches (everything there is in China -just in case); and my tablet has some great street maps for the country marked with caches near where we will be -- for off-line use.  We leave on Tuesday for Beijing, Xi'an and Singapore.  :P

Researching a trip South for the 'Ape Cache' if anybody is interested in a trip... (haven't found a good deal to get there yet. It was MUCH cheaper to go to China...)

RAMBETTA - R1 signed a log in China that had your name on it.  He recognized you from the Kitty Hollow Event.  What a small world!! 

Posted · Report post

So all you more experienced Event planners, please chime in here.  I have a MMMM event planned for this Sunday at 9am in Memorial Park.  There is also a large art festival (I just found out the dates are the same) going on concurrently at the park.  From what I can tell it is like when the trail riders come in and all the parking is closed.  I think traffic will be a beast and that all in all that will make reaching the event much more of a hassle than anyone would want to do.  Besides Dhaulghiri who could ride his bike in from his house but he is Dutch and thinks weird things like that. 

So my choices seem to be

1) cancel the whole thing

2) move to another park

3) move to a nearby restaurant

4) change to the next weekend

any other ideas?  What is and is not allowed in the changing of event info?

We could all just drive out to TW's event in the NW and crash that party!

Posted · Report post

So all you more experienced Event planners, please chime in here.  I have a MMMM event planned for this Sunday at 9am in Memorial Park.  There is also a large art festival (I just found out the dates are the same) going on concurrently at the park.  From what I can tell it is like when the trail riders come in and all the parking is closed.  I think traffic will be a beast and that all in all that will make reaching the event much more of a hassle than anyone would want to do.  Besides Dhaulghiri who could ride his bike in from his house but he is Dutch and thinks weird things like that. 

So my choices seem to be

1) cancel the whole thing

2) move to another park

3) move to a nearby restaurant

4) change to the next weekend

any other ideas?  What is and is not allowed in the changing of event info?

We could all just drive out to TW's event in the NW and crash that party!

No crashing necessary. Y'all c'mon over if that's what works best for you.

Posted · Report post

I was able to talk to the Arboretum and got permission for us to cache (more importantly PARK there) Sunday morning.  Then PR was nice enough to let me change the event coordinates so the party is again on!  We may still need more partying and go visit the other events that night...

I will send out an announcement and update the cache page.  :) Thanks again to Amberita for letting me know about the Art Festival.  

Posted · Report post

Cool beans. Way to be a CO and take charge. You go girl. The arboretum is a wonderful spot and has nice trails. I wish I could attend and show You all my trail to FTFC 89 - it's not binary.

rozowski5 likes this

Posted · Report post

Cool beans. Way to be a CO and take charge. You go girl. The arboretum is a wonderful spot and has nice trails. I wish I could attend and show You all my trail to FTFC 89 - it's not binary.

Hah, I think I used your trail, and it is indeed a good way to get to GZ. Once there however you are probably gonna need a metal detector to find the cache! I was over at GZ for almost an hour and failed to find anything remotely resembling a cache, grmbl.

Posted · Report post

I didn't see it either when I went to look for it, and I was out there a good while. But, as Muddy Buddies mentioned, Raven hid it better than he found it, and some of us know what that can mean. :)  I talked to Raven on the phone while I was out there, and unless it's completely buried or way off coords, it seems to be gone. I could be wrong, though....

Posted · Report post

I didn't see it either when I went to look for it, and I was out there a good while. But, as Muddy Buddies mentioned, Raven hid it better than he found it, and some of us know what that can mean. :)  I talked to Raven on the phone while I was out there, and unless it's completely buried or way off coords, it seems to be gone. I could be wrong, though....

Yea, I'd read the previous logs and kinda anticipated a harder search then normal... but the problem with the area is the tree coverage messing with the GPSr signal AND the HUGE abundance of possible hiding spots  :startled:

Posted · Report post

We going to try for it on Sunday? Donna was asking today what the plan. I think we may need to stay on the arboretum side because of the festival but I am not sure. I guess we will figure that out Sunday morning.

Posted · Report post

I'm all for the Arboretum side.  Only have one cache from back there anyways.  Bringing along juleed and cjenogan for the morning fun!

Posted · Report post

As I recall it was a pretty tough hide with lots of pine straw covering the cache.

Posted · Report post

I don't remember any recurring events at Memorial Park.

There was a couple of one-off events a long time ago.

There was a caching group mashup that called themselves the Memorial Mob, for a 1 day caching run of the park.  

I believe they hid a cache that had "Memorial Mob" somewhere in the name.

When I get home and have access to my GSAK database, then I can further research.

GCZWY9 The Memorial Park Mob Memorial Cache

It's archived now...

There's a story behind that cache -- ask me about it sometime. I archived it because it got bulldozed. Log Dawgs later found the somewhat damaged ammo can and is holding it for me. Maybe I can replace it near GZ and get it un-archived (if there is no conflict with another cache).

The Memorial Park Mob was the name we used to sign the log during a one-day mashup. That was it.

That was a really fun day!  I'm planning a geocaching hike off of Picnic Loop with Bayou City Outdoors for Good Friday.  We'll probably start around 10:00.