Revise Memorial Mob?

64 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hefty - Let me know when you are going on a maintenance run and I will go with you (if you can go out while the kids are in school!)

Yea, count me in too! Well, if I can get out of work that is.

As for the event: there's also a quite a few caches in the S. Pic-nic (Yes, I know some of them are mine...) area, and to host an event there you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of coordinating with the Arboretum.

On the other hand, they might appreciate a CITO more :)

I'm willing to help put new ones out there too! I'd like to have a letterbox like Elmdor's and possibly a WheriGo?

Posted · Report post

I was part of a memorial Mob day or two.  We started with a "breakfast" even of a box of donuts on a tailgate.  The day included spending an inordinate amount of time finding the smallest container I had seen up to that time. Then there was the fence.  My map of Memorial park used to be all smileys.  That has has been a while so I am up for another day of caching there.

rozowski5 likes this

Posted · Report post

I've never known the arboretum to be in need of a CITO.  It seems to stay pretty clean.  I'd say to keep the event in Memorial Park rather than the arboretum.  You have a bigger playing field to sent cachers all over the the park in small groups to cache.  Another chance to be in a mob again.

Posted · Report post

A must do puzzle:   GCH9TV - Sounds of the Sixties

A couple of my puzzles:  both on the northwest side of the park.

GC199W3 - FTFC #49 - Rock Around the Clock

GC199PF - 20-20 Hindsight

Another FTFC puzzle:  GC1TTJB - FTFC #89 It's not Binary

This one might still be there, but some of the clues are missing:  

GC111X3 - The Greatest Game Ever Played.

Posted · Report post

Guess the sign must have read "Trespassers will be FTF'd to the fullest extent possible".

Dhaulaghiri likes this

Posted · Report post

Sometimes I see signs on fences like that and it's not clear if I'm tresspassing currently or if I go over the fence.  Maybe I need to go over the fence so I'm not tresspassing.  It all gets so confusing.  ;)  So I cross when needed and will plead ambiguity.

Posted · Report post

Sometimes I see signs on fences like that and it's not clear if I'm tresspassing currently or if I go over the fence.  Maybe I need to go over the fence so I'm not tresspassing.  It all gets so confusing.  ;)  So I cross when needed and will plead ambiguity.

"But officer, the cache is just on the other side.  And it is sucha long way around."

And there was also the trip to the emergency room for one of the cachers whose previous fence climb had been in childhood.

Posted · Report post

Good luck with that one. It's a 500-foot bushwhack, and I spent a long time looking for it. No logs or CO checks on it since then....

The problem is that you went after Raven "re-hid it better than found".   :knuppel2:    

Posted · Report post

"But officer, the cache is just on the other side.  And it is sucha long way around."

And there was also the trip to the emergency room for one of the cachers whose previous fence climb had been in childhood.

I've got what appears to be permanent scars on my left forearm from eating it while going over a fence for a cache... Wet boots....it was a humbling experience...

Posted · Report post

Good luck with that one. It's a 500-foot bushwhack, and I spent a long time looking for it. No logs or CO checks on it since then....

The problem is that you went after Raven "re-hid it better than found".   :knuppel2:

Hmmmmm..... I solved the puzzle, but still haven't gotten around to go and search for it.... Maybe tomorrow if the sun stays out!

Posted · Report post

I considered that afterward (actually during the search too), and I've considered going back to look for it with a shovel, pick axe, iron rake, and maybe even some dynamite sticks.

Posted · Report post

I considered that afterward (actually during the search too), and I've considered going back to look for it with a shovel, pick axe, iron rake, and maybe even some dynamite sticks.

I seem to remember that the cache was off coordinate by a good bit (50 to 80').

It was a decent bushwack, too!  

My route out was a little easier, almost going due north to the trail.

Posted · Report post

I seem to remember that the cache was off coordinate by a good bit (50 to 80').

It was a decent bushwack, too!  

My route out was a little easier, almost going due north to the trail.

Yeah, if it was that far off, then it bears another look from me. It was sweltering hot out there, I remember that.

Posted · Report post

Hefty - Let me know when you are going on a maintenance run and I will go with you (if you can go out while the kids are in school!)

Yea, count me in too! Well, if I can get out of work that is.

As for the event: there's also a quite a few caches in the S. Pic-nic (Yes, I know some of them are mine...) area, and to host an event there you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of coordinating with the Arboretum.

On the other hand, they might appreciate a CITO more :)

I'm willing to help put new ones out there too! I'd like to have a letterbox like Elmdor's and possibly a WheriGo?

Hans,

It would be great to add a Whereigo!!  Keep us informed!!!

KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

I had thought we would meet at the arboretum to avoid Baytown Bert's long lines for peeing behind trees.  Someone else suggested just tailgating - or maybe a picnic table?  Anyone feel strongly on this?  I am going to be doing a recon mission today into the park (jog) so I would like to take a look at spots and get my event into the queue. 

Posted · Report post

I had thought we would meet at the arboretum to avoid Baytown Bert's long lines for peeing behind trees.  Someone else suggested just tailgating - or maybe a picnic table?  Anyone feel strongly on this?  I am going to be doing a recon mission today into the park (jog) so I would like to take a look at spots and get my event into the queue. 

I guess you could pee behind a tailgate or a picnic table, but I'd opt for the trees and bushes. Why don't you test it out on your recon mission? Lol

Posted · Report post

I guess you could pee behind a tailgate or a picnic table, but I'd opt for the trees and bushes. Why don't you test it out on your recon mission? Lol

We are still recovering from the drought of 2011. Every little bit (drip) helps.

Posted · Report post

There is an easy way to this one.  Should be a 20' bushwhack. Look for an entry point to a gully around this very rough estimate N29°45.485' W095°26.975'.  The gully wends its way parallel with the bayou over to the final GZ.  There were a few downed trees to climb over, but nothing difficult. You will end up coming in south of GZ.

Posted · Report post

If you do it at the arboretum just make sure everyone has moved their cars out of the arboretum by closing time, which I think is 5 p.m.   I would hate to have some people go off group caching and forget to move their cars and then get locked in.  

Posted · Report post

If you do it at the arboretum just make sure everyone has moved their cars out of the arboretum by closing time, which I think is 5 p.m.   I would hate to have some people go off group caching and forget to move their cars and then get locked in.

Since myself and three children were locked into the park at Herman looking for that Panda cache I should always be aware of gates! Best part of the story is that we didn't know we were locked in and had to be informed of our predicament. That shows true awareness of your surroundings.

I am waiting on r1 to figure out his travel schedule and then I can get the event in the queue. How hard is to book a trip to china? I think he is trying to maximize countries to get our last 3 for han's challenge cache.

Posted · Report post

Since myself and three children were locked into the park at Herman looking for that Panda cache I should always be aware of gates! Best part of the story is that we didn't know we were locked in and had to be informed of our predicament. That shows true awareness of your surroundings.

I am waiting on r1 to figure out his travel schedule and then I can get the event in the queue. How hard is to book a trip to china? I think he is trying to maximize countries to get our last 3 for han's challenge cache.

I think when you book travel based on caching goals it indicates some sort of obsession. Never mind that our entire honeymoon trip last summer was mapped out according to the placement of cool virtuals and earthcaches, and that the hotel I picked to stay at in Irving, TX next week was selected purely on its proximity to a hike and bike series. Or that all my business trips / routes are planned out around cache locations, times of availability, etc. Or that I bow out of after hours group dinners while business traveling so that I can cache the areas instead. It's all you other people that are obsessed....not me. :D

Dhaulaghiri likes this

Posted · Report post

I think when you book travel based on caching goals it indicates some sort of obsession. Never mind that our entire honeymoon trip last summer was mapped out according to the placement of cool virtuals and earthcaches, and that the hotel I picked to stay at in Irving, TX next week was selected purely on its proximity to a hike and bike series. Or that all my business trips / routes are planned out around cache locations, times of availability, etc. Or that I bow out of after hours group dinners while business traveling so that I can cache the areas instead. It's all you other people that are obsessed....not me. :D

I am NOT obsessed, :notme: (booking a trip to China is a piece of cake)

I would NEVER plan a trip for the sake of caching  (Except for maybe Peru, or China and...HMmmmmmmm.....!!!)

My garmin is loaded with approx. 534 caches (everything there is in China -just in case); and my tablet has some great street maps for the country marked with caches near where we will be -- for off-line use.  We leave on Tuesday for Beijing, Xi'an and Singapore.  :P

Researching a trip South for the 'Ape Cache' if anybody is interested in a trip... (haven't found a good deal to get there yet. It was MUCH cheaper to go to China...)

rozowski5 and TexasWriter like this