Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

CLAPS 2014 Spring Paddle CITO (Sun. 4/27)

108 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

1)  We like to be able to back out if the weather conditions are not good and if you are hosting, it's harder to do so

2)  We still haven't made it to Horsepen Bayou, and have been waiting for a group for safety reasons, but I'm not sure that I want to go during alligator mating season. 

TW is a perfect example of overcoming events where the COs don't show up with the event during Icepocalypse 2014. 

Lol. Although I'm not sure just how to take that....   Hey, I needed my event fix!

I can hear the singing already ;)

:notme:  "I wanna be aaaalllll by myyyyself, just wanna be aaaaaalllll byyyyyyy myyyyseeeeeelf"  :notme:

Posted · Report post

For those of us that would like to keep Sunday in church, maybe we just need to come up with our own meeting time on the water on a Saturday. 

You can always host your own event or CITO.  On a Saturday or any other day.  People should feel free to hold events or CITOs to come do these whenever they want.  I typically hold them on Sundays because I have the least amount of interruption with Syd's softball games and other activities.  She may have practice, but I can miss that.

A lot of cachers seem to want the S CLAPS on the S end (near Clear Lake Park) - in the old series and new - probably because it has had fewer events / mashups.  I know some were scared away by the chilly 78 degrees on the MLK day CITO.  Somoene should do a Saturday CITO at CL Park.   There just was one, but I promise we did not get everything. 

That's kind of what I was hinting at.  However, I don't plan to host a CLAPS event that far from home.  We like to be able to back out if the weather conditions are not good and if you are hosting, it's harder to do so.  We are still pretty much rookies when it comes to kayaks, so we like to pick our ideal conditions.  We definitely appreciate those that have hosted the events that we've gone to, but if we are going to organize something ourselves, it will probably be more of a mash-up so that we are closer to the day to watch what the weather is going to be like. 

We still haven't made it to Horsepen Bayou, and have been waiting for a group for safety reasons, but I'm not sure that I want to go during alligator mating season. 

I haven't done a lot of caches in "Alief" - so you can count me in for a CITO out there!  O0

And, if you're in the mood to do Horsepen I don't mind doing "marathon arms" for you if you pay for a tandem kayak sometime, (just let me know what day you're looking into). That's my favorite part of the CLAPS series & I've never gone turtle in my life.

Posted · Report post

For those of us that would like to keep Sunday in church, maybe we just need to come up with our own meeting time on the water on a Saturday.

You can always host your own event or CITO. On a Saturday or any other day. People should feel free to hold events or CITOs to come do these whenever they want. I typically hold them on Sundays because I have the least amount of interruption with Syd's softball games and other activities. She may have practice, but I can miss that.

A lot of cachers seem to want the S CLAPS on the S end (near Clear Lake Park) - in the old series and new - probably because it has had fewer events / mashups. I know some were scared away by the chilly 78 degrees on the MLK day CITO. Somoene should do a Saturday CITO at CL Park. There just was one, but I promise we did not get everything.

That's kind of what I was hinting at. However, I don't plan to host a CLAPS event that far from home. We like to be able to back out if the weather conditions are not good and if you are hosting, it's harder to do so. We are still pretty much rookies when it comes to kayaks, so we like to pick our ideal conditions. We definitely appreciate those that have hosted the events that we've gone to, but if we are going to organize something ourselves, it will probably be more of a mash-up so that we are closer to the day to watch what the weather is going to be like.

We still haven't made it to Horsepen Bayou, and have been waiting for a group for safety reasons, but I'm not sure that I want to go during alligator mating season.

I've never gone turtle in my life.

Knock on wood quick

KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

Paddled some of the N CLAPS with some non-cachers on Sunday.  It was a truly perfect day to paddle.  We saw 9 gators.  How many more saw us?  So just a primer for Mrs. Buddy Buddy for Horspen Bayou....  which has the highest density of 'em.

10a46e24-e51b-4ed4-b313-8df03617e455.jpg

39f2e9da-6ea0-43e3-9cd9-079e6c80e742.jpg

8d2fceb9-fac3-428b-9c55-d2dd7e2edd36.jpg

7b39894e-a1fc-4805-9276-c0ff089a3614.jpg

2fe0dab5-7511-44ce-97ed-a2a59735ab8b.jpg

Posted · Report post

Ha Ha.  Now, I'll never get her to go on Horsepen Bayou......ever.....

Posted · Report post

We were hiding a series Friday in the perfect place for gators (not BBSP) and never saw a one. Sparky did however, get stung by two very pissed off bees and I got electrocuted by a fence. :orelse:

TexasWriter and Mustard Devil like this

Posted · Report post

We were hiding a series Friday in the perfect place for gators (not BBSP) and never saw a one. Sparky did however, get stung by two very pissed off bees and I got electrocuted by a fence. :orelse:

That sounds like one of (many of) my adventures with CornDoll...

Posted · Report post

it was one helluva day. LOL I wish someone would have been taking video... running from the bees was especially fun. :-\ Then I had to go back for our wagon full of caches... luckily I moved in quickly and stealthily and grabbed our gear without getting stung. LOL And I guess I'm glad the fence got me before I decided to place a cache there... imagine the nasty notes I would have gotten on that one. :2funny:

Posted · Report post

[quote name="Jhawk!" post="132682" I got electrocuted by a fence. :orelse:

Jhawk! likes this

Posted · Report post

Maybe I'll wait until the burn marks on my stomach go away first.  LOL

Posted · Report post

it was one helluva day. LOL I wish someone would have been taking video... running from the bees was especially fun. :-\ Then I had to go back for our wagon full of caches... luckily I moved in quickly and stealthily and grabbed our gear without getting stung. LOL And I guess I'm glad the fence got me before I decided to place a cache there... imagine the nasty notes I would have gotten on that one. :2funny:

This one involved darkness, bee stings, almost stepping on a rattlesnake, and two packs of coyotes....one of which didn't even run when we walked up on them (something is wrong when a coyote isn't afraid of you). http://coord.info/GLBK9T78

Oh yeah, and it was our honeymoon. Lol 

Posted (edited) · Report post

She's earning the name Sparky, that's for sure.   :2funny:

Edit: Wait a minute.  I got that wrong.  I guess you should be Sparky!

Edited by ~windknot~
TexasWriter likes this

Posted · Report post

She's earning the name Sparky, that's for sure.   :2funny:

Edit: Wait a minute.  I got that wrong.  I guess you should be Sparky!

LOL That's what we said... we'd have to switch geocaching handles now. :2funny:

Posted · Report post

This one involved darkness, bee stings, almost stepping on a rattlesnake, and two packs of coyotes....one of which didn't even run when we walked up on them (something is wrong when a coyote isn't afraid of you). http://coord.info/GLBK9T78

Oh yeah, and it was our honeymoon. Lol 

LOL!!! Ya'll crazy. :-)

Posted · Report post

Back on topic -- now's a great time to get your kayak reservations in.  Pinkys was nearly reseved out with the good weather this weekend.  I'm sure the other rental places were too. While we were at Boondoggles post-paddle, I saw Pinkys make 4 runs loaded with yaks.

Posted · Report post

I wanna know what Kevin said to the one gator pictured above that is smirking/smiling? WTH? ;)

Posted · Report post

I wanna know what Kevin said to the one gator pictured above that is smirking/smiling? WTH? ;)

I had a non-scouting event that just happened to have a several cub scouts on their last day of cub-scouting (Arrow of Light ceremony was that evening) and a bunch of parents.  (Too many rules for a scouting paddle event.)  Most had never done anything like this.  We paddled up to N CLAPS #9 and u-turned.  About 4.8 miles round trip.  Perfect day.

That gator started smirking when one of the moms on a tandem with her son started paddling closer and closer to it.  At some point about 20' from it the kid starts paddling backwards.  "Mom. Mom.  MOOOOM."   Snap snap snap goes the camera.  She picks the up the paddle after a few shots and starts paddling again!  He yells "Jesus Christ Mom, if you keep paddling I'm jumping into the freakin' water."

Everyone laughed.  And the gator cracked a smile.  And she finally got the point that he was several feet closer to it than she was - and easier to eat.

I had to tell him "Um, I don't think that's your best option at this point."

Good times.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had heard they called tandems "divorce boats" but thought that only applied to Kevin and KD

I have a tandem Ocean Kayak Malibu like Pinky rents. Thacatfish, Amberita and a probably dried out by now Hans have first dibs. ZHR has priority too, but he is still soggier than Hans. Let me know, saving a rental doing a CITO event and finding caches while out on the water with friends? Ask Bert and Emily, it doesn't get better than that!

post-608-0-10061900-1396384656_thumb.jpg

post-608-0-91220900-1396384758_thumb.jpg

Edited by bbqbob2
cachestacker, Jhawk! and KeyResults like this

Posted · Report post

Divorce boats. LOL That's funny since recently I was on Vieques Island of Puerto Rico and we did the Bioluminescent Bay tour in a double kayak... it was all I could do not to throw my better half overboard. ;)

Posted · Report post

Divorce boats. LOL That's funny since recently I was on Vieques Island of Puerto Rico and we did the Bioluminescent Bay tour in a double kayak... it was all I could do not to throw my better half overboard. ;)

With over 30 years of canoeing and kayaking experience with Kathy, I've learned that she is always right!   :smitten:

Maybe that's we we keep going  in circles....

Jhawk!, amberita13 and cachestacker like this

Posted · Report post

I had heard they called tandems "divorce boats" but thought that only applied to Kevin and KD

I have a tandem Ocean Kayak Malibu like Pinky rents. Thacatfish, Amberita and a probably dried out by now Hans have first dibs. ZHR has priority too, but he is still soggier than Hans. Let me know, saving a rental doing a CITO event and finding caches while out on the water with friends? Ask Bert and Emily, it doesn't get better than that!

Yup, that's what we called them when I was working with a Kayaking outfit back in Belgium.

We also soothed angry clients who had a leaky boat by telling them they got the special model..... with water cooling  :uglystupid2: !!!

Thanks Bob, that's very generous of you (again!) but I've still got a 'free-rent-a-kayak' stub in my wallet for Pinky's, so if me & the wife end up going we'll probably use that so someone else can use the open space.