ohl hockey guy

62s Help

25 posts in this topic

Ok so those of you that were on the water today know that I lost my Vista to King Triton. Well I have already replaced it with a brand new 62s (Thanks Bass Pro Shop Closeout). Well I am trying to put the caching custom icons on the 62s and can't find the icons online or how exactly to do it. Any help?

I did manage to talk Garmin into sending me a 2014 Map disk so that should be here by the end of the week. Yes I know I could get free maps from the web but wanted to see if I could get them from Garmin... I did. :)

On last thing... does the device hold 2000 caches as caches or more. In reading through another thread I got totally confused.

Thanks everyone.

It holds 5000 caches when put into the GPSr as a GPX file -- but I usually try to keep it below 4500.  It can get a bit wonky if you approach the limit.

Ok I have figured out the whole icon thing so that is done. How do you delete the caches when reloading or does it wipe and reload?

Thanks HC on the number of caches... now I can have lots.

If you use GSAK to load caches straight to the 62S, it creates a file called geocaches.gpx in the Garmin\GPX folder on the unit.  If you load another set to the device, it probably overwrites the existing file, but I'm not positive.  You can try it out to see.

I typically export the GPX file from GSAK to a directory on my computer, then click and drag it to the Garmin > GPX folder.  As you can see, I have several files in the unit at a time (the GPX files for individual caches were from where I used the "Send to My GPS" feature to add them.

21efd383-82de-4ed1-8807-da3074f38ea6.jpg

Edited by HoustonControl

I export directly from GSAK (GPS > Send Waypoints) onto my 62S, and in the dialog box that comes up, I simply select "Clear GPS before sending" so that it will clear out the old geocaching.gpx file. While the caches are loading I use that couple of minutes to grab my machete before running out the door. (Curse you, Baytown Bert!) :)

I agree about keeping it under 4,500 as I've experienced slower response time on menu commands and general unit behavior when I load more than that. I keep my Montana loaded with about 10,000 caches since it holds 12,000.

Thanks for all the great tips... the ability to hold so many caches is certainly going to change how I think about loading my GPS.

And in case you hadn't noticed the 62s holds cache descriptions, hints and logs.

Some caches have log pictures that are useful in finding the cache.  The 62s can hold jpgs.  Is there a way to transfer log pictures identified to the cache to the device other than manually?

Not a hijack.  How do I get the icons on my etrex legend HCX?

Some caches have log pictures that are useful in finding the cache.  The 62s can hold jpgs.  Is there a way to transfer log pictures identified to the cache to the device other than manually?

I take it no one know of a way to do this?

Hey, thanks a lot.  That's probably the most complicated macro I've ever seen.  I've decided to wait 'til I have a week free to figure out how to do it? :laugh:

Edited by Thot

I saw this post but I wasn't exactly sure what the goal was and things have been a little hectic lately.

First, let me say that I never push photos to my Garmin 62s. That's what my smartphone is for. I stuff that little garmin 62 choc full of caches 4950 and I usually limit logs to 5.

I never have performance problems or memory issues that way. I have implemented this on several 62s units and the results have been good.

As far as photos on the 62s, there is a photo viewer that was introduced into the unit menu system some time after it was initially released. Think of it as a browser that reads coordinates from geotagged photos stored on your GPSr unit. That's exactly what it is. Because of the performance implications and other concerns, I've never really wanted to chase this feature down. A) the photos aren't very useful on the little bitty screen, and B) the photos must be geotagged properly to be handy.

I don't believe there are any hard associations between photos and geocaches or waypoints in the gpx files that the garmin 62s can make use of. The only photo references are internet urls which the garmin units ignore since they cannot do anything with that information. You can name photos using the GC# or something, but the only way a photo is associated with a cache is by proximity to your position, and then only if properly geotagged. (there are programs and macros that geotag photos for you) Let's say you navigate to Choo Choo TMC cache GZ, and you want to look at a photo for that geocache, you would menu select your way to the photo viewer on the garmin gpsr and it will present you with a list of photos by proximity to your current gps position. You can hit menu and sort all geotagged photos on the unit by name or date too, but the default is coordnates. This is no different than a waypoint POI in that regard.

In summary, the Garmin GPSr looks a folder full of geotagged photos as a list of waypoints containing a name, date, lat, long essentially.

You can manually move the photos onto the gps in a couple ways, but the macro above would certainly do the job. Basecamp and other tools can do this too. This functionality is really big for geotaggers and the new Adventures or geoTours which promises to be more robust with the next generation of GPSr units.

I am definitely not an expert on this, but I have dabbled in this enough to understand how it's done and it's not very sophisticated to be honest.

A little off-topic: I didn't touch on custom maps/map overlays which are treated differently by the Garmin unit. These are very useful and worth the time to understand. This enabled you to take an image of a scale park trail map and load it on your Garmin and have it treated as a map. Assuming you got the resolution correct, you would see this detail once you were in the relevant coordinate area. For example, I could take a treliable GPS track file of Baytown Nature Center from Houston Control, load it on Google Earth, export a KML/KMZ screen shot of the park, load it on my garmin 62s. Now when I go Caching at BNC my map will have HC's trails detail on my GPSr as the map background. It's very powerful and very cool once you understand how it works. Team Four Paw turned me on to the possibilities which I used for our group at the 2011 Texas Challenge. It enabled me to give our group a detailed trail map of the park on our GPSr untis (we all use 62s units).

I hope I didn't confuse you with any of this. And, as always I hope this rambling is of some use. Garmin really does a bad job of explaining the big picture / 30,000 foot view of their wonderful little gadgets, which is a real shame. In particular the drastically different behaviors of the 62s while operating in the various modes. I have never found a satisfactory document about this anywhere.

K

I saw this post but I wasn't exactly sure what the goal was and things have been a little hectic lately.

First, let me say that I never push photos to my Garmin 62s. That's what my smartphone is for. I stuff that little garmin 62 choc full of caches 4950 and I usually limit logs to 5.

I never have performance problems or memory issues that way. I have implemented this on several 62s units and the results have been good.

As far as photos on the 62s, there is a photo viewer that was introduced into the unit menu system some time after it was initially released. Think of it as a browser that reads coordinates from geotagged photos stored on your GPSr unit. That's exactly what it is. Because of the performance implications and other concerns, I've never really wanted to chase this feature down. A) the photos aren't very useful on the little bitty screen, and B) the photos must be geotagged properly to be handy.

I don't believe there are any hard associations between photos and geocaches or waypoints in the gpx files that the garmin 62s can make use of. The only photo references are internet urls which the garmin units ignore since they cannot do anything with that information. You can name photos using the GC# or something, but the only way a photo is associated with a cache is by proximity to your position, and then only if properly geotagged. (there are programs and macros that geotag photos for you) Let's say you navigate to Choo Choo TMC cache GZ, and you want to look at a photo for that geocache, you would menu select your way to the photo viewer on the garmin gpsr and it will present you with a list of photos by proximity to your current gps position. You can hit menu and sort all geotagged photos on the unit by name or date too, but the default is coordnates. This is no different than a waypoint POI in that regard.

In summary, the Garmin GPSr looks a folder full of geotagged photos as a list of waypoints containing a name, date, lat, long essentially.

You can manually move the photos onto the gps in a couple ways, but the macro above would certainly do the job. Basecamp and other tools can do this too. This functionality is really big for geotaggers and the new Adventures or geoTours which promises to be more robust with the next generation of GPSr units.

I am definitely not an expert on this, but I have dabbled in this enough to understand how it's done and it's not very sophisticated to be honest.

A little off-topic: I didn't touch on custom maps/map overlays which are treated differently by the Garmin unit. These are very useful and worth the time to understand. This enabled you to take an image of a scale park trail map and load it on your Garmin and have it treated as a map. Assuming you got the resolution correct, you would see this detail once you were in the relevant coordinate area. For example, I could take a treliable GPS track file of Baytown Nature Center from Houston Control, load it on Google Earth, export a KML/KMZ screen shot of the park, load it on my garmin 62s. Now when I go Caching at BNC my map will have HC's trails detail on my GPSr as the map background. It's very powerful and very cool once you understand how it works. Team Four Paw turned me on to the possibilities which I used for our group at the 2011 Texas Challenge. It enabled me to give our group a detailed trail map of the park on our GPSr untis (we all use 62s units).

I hope I didn't confuse you with any of this. And, as always I hope this rambling is of some use. Garmin really does a bad job of explaining the big picture / 30,000 foot view of their wonderful little gadgets, which is a real shame. In particular the drastically different behaviors of the 62s while operating in the various modes. I have never found a satisfactory document about this anywhere.

K

For the last several months I have had a lot of issues with my 8 yo 76CSX requiring the compass be repeatedly recalibrated during every caching trip. I just ordered a 62S (wish I'd read the thread with your discussion of compass issues first!). If I can't figure it out (likely) I may want to get more info on adding custom maps/map overlays.  I do a lot of caching/hiking and having the trail map as the background map sounds like it would be immensely helpful!

You can download free topo maps for just about anywhere at GPSFileDepot.  Here's the link for Texas maps: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/131/

I download them and then use mapsource to install them on my 62s

Edited by HoustonControl
1 person likes this

The last times (4-5) I've connected my 62s to my Windows computer I've gotten this message.  I have ignored it because I worry about Microsoft tampering with Garmin stuff.  Everything seems to be working normally but it just keeps nagging me.  Should I let Windows screw with the unit?

post-35-0-80388700-1428268658_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thot

The last times (4-5) I've connected my 62s to my Windows computer I've gotten this message. I have ignored it because I worry about Microsoft tampering with Garmin stuff. Everything seems to be working normally but it just keeps nagging me. Should I let Windows screw with the unit?

I have allowed it on my usb devices with no ill effects. Usually happens when a usb device is disconnected improperly.

Thanks.  I guess I'll let it do it next time.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten to report.  I let Microsoft do their thing and it all worked -- no problem.

The Oregon series are very finicky about being disconnected without shutting them down properly.