Noob In Missouri City

29 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Greetings from the shadow of Kitty Hollow Park! Discovered caching this past weekend and decided to give it a try. First day out I managed to locate 2 of 4 caches using the iPHONE introductory app which I didn't think was too bad for a noob. Went out a day later and found the 2 I had overlooked plus a couple more in the Sweetie Loves series. This can certainly be addicting! It gets me out of the house for a little sunshine and exercise. Think I'll stick with the iPHONE for now or until I can meet with a few of the locals to learn more about the many GPS units they use. Only real issue with iPHONE so far is screen glare.

I wasn't able to participate in the "Will Cache For Food" gathering the other night due to previous committment but will try for the meet at Kitty Hollow on 26 January to introduce myself.

Regards,

OG

Don't worry about the avatar, I'm one of the good guys! And thanks for the add. 

Jhawk! likes this

Posted · Report post

Welcome! The right side of the forum page has a list of the events in the area too.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for posting and Welcome! It is addicting isn't it? And that's just the finding caches part! You've got all sorts of stuff to discover! Your cup runneth over!

You're in the very same part of the world as some terrific people and great geocachers!

As you venture out in your quest, you'll eventually find yourself in our respective stomping grounds working a series of hides or visiting events. We look forward to the day we meet, hopefully at an event or biking/kayaking or climbing trees while caching one weekend!

CU in the logs!

Posted · Report post

Greetings from Sienna Plantation and welcome to the game!

I second KR that there are some great caches and cachers in our neck of the woods.

I'm looking forward to meeting you at an event or going after a  cache.

-TG

Posted · Report post

Welcome!

There's an event upcoming in your area on the 26th of January!

We plan to tackle the "kitty Hollow" series.

A good way to meet other cachers, and learn about our great addiction hobby!

Posted · Report post

Welcome OldGringoTX!    We don't judge, too much,  ;)  so don't worry about your avatar!    We like to have lots of fun!

Posted · Report post

I found out the introductory app only find easy caches rated 1.5/1.5 or lower.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the welcome everyone! :-)

Bert, I received your message and added the event to my calendar this morning.

Sock Puppet, I can understand how the iPHONE Introductory app would limit content to promote the purchase of the full blown app. Do the GPS units have the ability to display the hints and logs of other cachers? Just a noob question on my part. 

Posted · Report post

Hi! Welcome. I'm a newbie to the forum here but have been caching since Feb... love it!

Did you sign up for the annual membership at geocaching.com? With the basic (free) subscription, you can't see the Premium caches. Some hides are premium for various reasons. Just thought I'd mention that. :)

Hope to see you along the trail!

Posted · Report post

Do the GPS units have the ability to display the hints and logs of other cachers? Just a noob question on my part. 

it depends on the GPS unit you use.  some only give coordinates and name so you can navigate and some give description, hint and some logs. 

Posted · Report post

Sock Puppet, I can understand how the iPHONE Introductory app would limit content to promote the purchase of the full blown app. Do the GPS units have the ability to display the hints and logs of other cachers? Just a noob question on my part. 

Certain higher-end GPS units do,  The Garmin 62 series, Oregon, Montana and Colorado (do they still make that last one?)  Can't speak much to the DeLorme or Magellan units, but I'm pretty sure they do as well -- at least some of them.  That's certainly a pricier way to go.  If you're still unsure if you're going to stick with it, just get the premium membership to GC.com and go with the $10 phone app or try out the Geosphere app.  Welcome aboard!

Posted · Report post

Welcome to the obsession.  Hope to see/meet you at Kitty Hollow Park event on 1/26.

I'm not an iPhone user per se (heavy droid user) but I'd look for other free Geocaching apps for your iPhone.  Which version iPhone do you have? The 4S and and newer have much better GPS units, utilizing both GLONASS and GPS satelites, the earlier iPhones I know didn't have GLONASS support and I'm told many had very poor GPS.  That said a lot of foilage may still result in the GPS bouncing around a fair amount.

Unfortunately the most acclaimed (paid or free) geocaching app is Droid only (c:geo) if you happen to be one of the rare folks that have both a droid and an iPhone you may want to pull out the droid for geocaching.

As for GPS units, most Garmin units built within the past several years have supported Geocaching w/ hints and other features.  I know some of the other brands have started supporting these a bit more, but I'm not sure which ones provide which support.  If you are looking into buying a unit, you'll get plenty of recommendations from those here.  My favorite being the Garmin Oregon 600 series units here's a review I wrote on it 

Posted · Report post

I tried the intro version today and it started doing a compass calibration mode. I liked the old basic app.

Posted · Report post

Thanks guys (and ladies) guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until I learn the ropes. A lot of what I'm seeing on the smart phone App seems to be very intuitive. Found a cache the other day which had a pressed penny in it but I failed to mention it in the log. Guess that's really bad social form so apologies to the benefactor. Also got stumped on a cache which had a blue instead of green symbol on the map. May I assume that is not an active cache? 

Thanks again, 

OG

Posted · Report post

If it was a blue question mark, it is a puzzle cache which is not located at the posted coordinates.  You generally have to solve some sort of puzzle first.  Read the cache page.

Cache Types

Posted · Report post

...Or.... if its a puzzle cache, ask one of your geekier friends for the coords and then mention it in your log. LOL Not that I would do that or anything. Yes, I said geekier.

Posted · Report post

I'm back again! The cache # is GC2ZYXX. I approached this cache from all directions on the compass rose, the checked the vegetation lines on the East and North. Just thought it odd when I never got a 'you're getting close' prompt on the iPHONE.

Posted · Report post

I'm back again! The cache # is GC2ZYXX. I approached this cache from all directions on the compass rose, the checked the vegetation lines on the East and North. Just thought it odd when I never got a 'you're getting close' prompt on the iPHONE.

This one is a puzzle which is not at the coordinates.   Do you have a way on your iPhone to put in updated coordinates?  This one is about a quarter of a mile away from posted coordinates and puzzles can be up to 2 miles away from the posted coordinates..    Message sent. 

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the help (both public and private) and your patience! On the iPhone, the blue symbol didn't contain the ?, On Geocache website map it did. My fault for not looking at both resources prior to posting.

Thanks again, now everybody get out of here and go find a few caches! 

OG

Posted · Report post

Sorry Bert. I meant...er....uh....umm..... yeah, after work, that's what I meant.

Posted · Report post

Yes, they different apps use colors for cache types, but not necessarily the symbols.

Typically:

Blue is Mystery

Green is traditional

Yellow/gold is Multi(stage) cache

White are event caches

Letterbox hybrids / CITO / earth caches depend on the exact app and data source. But I've seen red, purple, black, orange all used.

Posted · Report post

Welcome! I had to come on over and see what was goin' on around here!

Yes, it's my Unknown / Mystery cache you didn't find, but it sounds like you might be on the right track to find it now. My puzzles are easy to solve--unlike some of these puzzlemasters around here who have me pulling out my hair trying to solve theirs!

My hubby (caching name Don-Giacomo) and I almost always use our iPhones for caching around town, quick cache-of-the-day runs. The dedicated GPSr units really come in handy for...

*days when you're going to do lots of caches. You can run a Pocket Query for the area you're visiting and then just use the phone for field notes, preserving its battery power

*caching in areas without phone service

*caching when you need more precision. The phones are often a little "off," but as experienced cachers were fine if we get in the general area for most caches. Others, I want to get as close as humanly possible.

*placing caches. You need the precision, for sure!

I have a Garmin 60CSx, and I love it. Simple, but very accurate. My husband has a more fancy model, and it does show the hint and a few previous logs.

I'm also in the Mo City / Sugar Land area; maybe you'd like to come out caching with us some time. =}

--Q

Posted · Report post

OldGringoTx sounds like and old scooter friend of mine, is that you Dub?