Looking for a geocaching buddy!

79 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just recently started geocaching and OMG.....I am in love with it so far. None of my friends get my fascination with geocaching and they don't know why I called them "muggles" So, my geocaching buddy is my boyfriend and my kids. I would love to meet other people who like what I like. I live on the northwest side of town (Cypress, 290 and Katy area). I am interested in meeting people that enjoy geocaching as much as I do. Maybe we can go out and find a few caches together

Edited by chringuyen86

Posted · Report post

I just recently started geocaching and OMG.....I am in love with it so far. I live on the northwest side of town (Cypress, 290 and Katy area) and I am interested in meeting people that does geocaching.

CornDoll and I live in that general area, so maybe we'll run into you. If you stick with it, you're bound to run into our caches at some point. The best way to meet other geocachers is by setting up notifications for the geo-events and attending them. We have one in this area every month. I haven't seen the notification go out for the January meeting yet, but I'll pass it along when I see it publish (unless you've got notifications set up for events by then).

Welcome to the obsession hobby/game/sport/pastime we call geocaching. O0

chringuyen86 likes this

Posted · Report post

GC4V8XM ▼ Event Cache  FTF: First to Forever 5-8 PM

There is an event in a couple days.

chringuyen86 likes this

Posted · Report post

GC4V8XM ▼ Event Cache FTF: First to Forever 5-8 PM

There is an event in a couple days.

Posted · Report post

I just recently started geocaching and OMG.....I am in love with it so far. I live on the northwest side of town (Cypress, 290 and Katy area) and I am interested in meeting people that does geocaching.

CornDoll and I live in that general area, so maybe we'll run into you. If you stick with it, you're bound to run into our caches at some point. The best way to meet other geocachers is by setting up notifications for the geo-events and attending them. We have one in this area every month. I haven't seen the notification go out for the January meeting yet, but I'll pass it along when I see it publish (unless you've got notifications set up for events by then).

Welcome to the obsession hobby/game/sport/pastime we call geocaching. O0

He meant to say  " Welcome to his OBSESSION hobby/game/sport/pastime  we call geocaching.   

But he is right about the event's.   are if you wish to do a series just post in the mash-up area on this forum what time you plan on ding it.  You will get some one to respond.

chringuyen86 likes this

Posted · Report post

On this forum's main page to the right is a list of all the current events in the Houston/Beaumont area.

how do I find where the event will be at?!

Unfortunately the geocaching website is not very user friendly for events. You have to look at the calendar and then find all the ones in Texas and see which ones are near you. Welcome to geocaching and hgcs.org.

The events are listed from the main geocaching page under community you will see events and then a calendar at the bottom. Then you see if Texas is listed on a day on the calendar. Then you have to select the date. Then you have to see where in Texas the event is located and the time of the event.

Edited by SockPuppet

Posted · Report post

And this is precisely why I run an Event PQ twice a week and add them onto the HGS calendar.  I had the same problem figuring out where they were.

And this is precisely why I run an Event PQ twice a week and add them onto the HGS calendar.  I had the same problem figuring out where they were.

One would think that someone at geocaching headquarters would figure this out especially with Mount10Bike working there. Like an events button that when you clicked on it it would show events in your area and a tab for different months and/or weeks. Of course one would of thought the ACA website would have worked too.

Edited by SockPuppet
Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

You can also just set up notifications so that you get an email whenever an event publishes within X miles of your home location, zip code, etc. That's what I do, and it takes all the thinking out of it. Since I only have three actively firing brain cells, this approach works great for me and frees me up to focus on letting Bert lure me 90 feet up a tree in Atascocita. :)

Posted · Report post

Thanks! but now I think I am confuse bwahhhh also, do you guys have any tips for a newcomer (just in general)?

Look at the difficulty and terrain ratings, as well as the previous logs, on caches that you're considering hunting. If there are several Did Not Find's (DNF's) in the logs, skip them to avoid frustration. If the difficulty level is 3 or above, you can typically assume that it's going to be a bit challenging to find, and for a newcomer it could be downright frustrating. Like most new things, you can serve yourself well by making it easy on yourself at the start, and as you gain experience you can slowly increase the challenge you put on yourself in terms of difficulty and terrain.

Posted · Report post

C'86, here is the way I look for Event Caches

On the HIDE & SEEK page, go to the bottom of the left side and click on "Advanced Search Options";  then search for "Event Caches" and by your area code (or use 77002 or 77007 for most of Houston).  Once on the listing of Events, click on "Placed" for calendar dating schedule.  The listing will also show you general distance and direction from your zip code used.

Since I live in Deer Park way East of Houston, I use 77536 zip code for most of the events in the deep Southeast of Houston.

chringuyen86 likes this

Posted · Report post

do you guys have any tips for a newcomer (just in general)?

Tips:  When you get to the general area (within 20 feet) use your eyes, instead of the GPS.  

Look for places that something could be hidden, or even something in plane sight that looks like it might not exactly belong.  

Experience is the best lesson.  

Get out there and try.  You'll learn soon enough.

Have you found a LPC (light pole cache), yet?

Posted · Report post

are you talking about the light post skirt? if so, I have found a few already! those are easy!!!

green-eyed likes this